Maybe will improve when Jupiter moves into Aquarius and gets the trine from Saturn in Libra, a more dignified location for Saturn than its current febrile location. So improvement in early 2009 when the restructuring takes hold.

Although before then it looks like it may get worse with the US election taking place against a backdrop of further collapse and bad news in November
( Sat/Nep/Ur), although this is going to lead to concrete action in late December setting the stage for 2009 restructuring ??
mike c

granny_skot wrote:Since stopping that activity (loan restructuring) is a large part of what Caused the problem, Fixing it so it is back in place should fix a large part of the problem.
I'm surprised you see that as a major cause of the problem, granny. I can see that it might be a better path back to stability, but the underlying problem is that the banking system depends on the continuing creation of money for its own stability - and more money is being created than the world can usefully use.

That money was finding an outlet in the housing market, by inflating prices; loan restructuring would block that more gently than foreclosures - but just as surely. And if the money that they can't stop creating can't find an outlet ... the banks fall over.

The deeper problem, I think, is that they tie Venus and Mercury together. In her book on the houses Deb criticises the modern association of Venus with money, and points out that it was traditionally associated with Mercury. For money as a medium of exchange I think that's absolutely right. But money also functions as a store of value and there I think the Venus association is quite reasonable.

The problem is that there are times when Venus and Mercury are going in different directions; sometimes the money supply needs to shrink in one capacity, at the same time as it is expanding in the other - but our existing monetary system doesn't provide any way for that to happen.

Actually in the 1930s I believe there were attempts to introduce currencies ('stamp scrip') that avoided this problem (based on work by a man called Silvio Gesell, who Keynes described as a 'neglected prophet'). Unfortunately the Second World War came along and they were abandoned - perhaps the idea will be given another chance.

Sorry for going so far off topic (although 'black hole' does seem an appropriate title for the current economic situation). Perhaps we should ask Deb for a corner where non-astrological digressions can be pursued.

Malcolm

But money also functions as a store of value and there I think the Venus association is quite reasonable.
This reminds me of a subject I posted about on another list a few years ago. One of the long and interesting cycles of Venus is it's transits of the Sun astronomically.
They are quite rare falling in pairs with alternating cycles of 105.5 and 121.5 years between any pair and the next.

the last transit was June 8th 2004 with its corresponding transit on June 6th 2012.

Anyway - the point is that the current pair ie 2004 -2012 fell in Gemini , ie Mercurial rule, and prior to these the last pair to fall in gemini was June 6th 1761 and June 3rd 1769.
The transit of 1761 saw the opening of the UK's first canal built by the Duke of Bridgewater to allow the mass transit of coal to Manchester where the Industrial revolution was taking off (opened within a week of the transit).
So the cycle underpins the accretion of the 'value of fossil fuel" made possible by mass transit, and of course the whole idea of the mass transit of goods.
I thought it was interesting that the 2004 transit fell at the time that fossil fuels ie oil were reaching an "end point" where we became aware of the finite nature of it as a commodity with the ensuing chaos which has flowed from that ever since.
Never taken this thought any further but interesting nevertheless - or not as the case may be!
mike c

The Times relate to a radical and thought-provoking story where top Scientists suggest that 'God hates the CERN project' and that the project by its very nature is attempting to prevent its own success.
The Times wrote:According to Nielsen, it means that the creation of the boson at some point in the future would then ripple backwards through time to put a stop to whatever it was that had created it in the first place.

Nielsen?s idea has been likened to that of a man travelling back through time and killing his own grandfather. ?Our theory suggests that any machine trying to make the Higgs shall have bad luck,? he said.

?It is based on mathematics, but you could explain it by saying that God rather hates Higgs particles and attempts to avoid them.?
MikeC has got a thread running on the CERN project elsewhere in the Mundane section. My thread started with making a comparison between the attempts to dabble with the building blocks of reality with certain 'Black Holes' occuring in the financial market due weaknesses in real estate. My observations were rather far fetched but it will be interesting to see where the theories of Holger Bech Nielsen and Masao Ninomiya take us.
http://www.astronor.com