SATURN-URANUS OPPOSITIONS: A NEW ERA INTO THE 2010s

The Coming Saturn-Uranus Oppositions
Opening a New Era Into The 2010s

By Theodore White, classical astrologer
Published August 2008

As the world begins to enter the year 2009, I thought it was a good time to remind all of us about the coming series of Saturn-Uranus oppositions ahead that lead to another series of outer planet aspects which are very powerful for the world and will affect all of us as we enter the new decade of the 2010s.

Saturn's transit through Virgo and Uranus' transit through tropical Pisces is causing a mindset across the world of the old (Saturn) being confronted by the new and maverick (Uranus.) The first of several Saturn-Uranus oppositions kicks off on November 4, 2008, which also happens to be the General Election Day for president in the United States.

The astrologer Alexander Ruperti says this about the effects of outer planet cycles on individuals and groups. He wrote about the influence of Saturn-Uranus oppositions ~

"The challenge to become a greater and more inclusive individual is usually felt?At such times, the ?greater? initially tends to appear as the enemy of the status quo. Therefore, if the challenge is accepted, one must inevitably break with his traditions on some level of existence. Symbolically, then, he must pit Uranus against Saturn. Habit patterns will always resist change; and when the pressure of some creative challenge is felt, the ego will experience a sense of impending doom, generating fear and resisting change... The more rigid the ego [Saturn], the sharper the break must be in the end. If a crucial phase of the Saturn-Uranus cycle coincides with some overwhelming emotional crisis, the cause will always be the rigid inertia of social customs, privileges, personal habits, or assumed behavior patterns which resist the call of the creative spirit within...."

The Saturn-Uranus opposition begins to form their opposition aspect this September 2008 and by the U.S.A. General Election Day (Nov. 4) the first opposition is exact at 18-degrees across the Virgo/Pisces axis. The oppositions will continue through 2010 and into 2011 as Saturn enters early Libra and Uranus enters early Aries.

From November 2008 through September 2011, Transiting Saturn will oppose Uranus. The final series of oppositions in late 2010 into September 2011 takes place on the Aries/Libra axis. I account for a orb of about 10-12 degress of influence with the outer planets.

The first four (4) Saturn-Uranus oppositions occur at 18?, 20?, 24? and 28? on the Virgo/Pisces axis. The fifth exact aspect between both planets happens on July 26, 2010 at the 0-degree equinox points of Aries (Uranus) and Libra (Saturn.) By the last exact opposition of Saturn-Uranus in mid-2010, much of the societal change should be well underway and sets the stage for the waxing Jupiter-Saturn opposition, as Jupiter joins Uranus in tropical Pisces in 2010 and adds favor to Uranus' position in opposition to Saturn.

These are very powerful transits of Saturn and Uranus, and they open up a series of strong world transits between Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Pluto into the decade of the 2010s.

The last time Saturn and Uranus opposed one another was during the mid-to-late 1960s. This was a time of rebellion against the status quo, as young people fought with the "establishment" across the world and forced a cultural worldwide cultural revolution to happen.

The dangers of the coming Saturn-Uranus opposition worldwide is mainly a theme of adjusting to disruptions (Uranus) in the status quo of establishment (Saturn) and to attempt synthesis and unity more so than confrontation and rebellion. However, this will be very difficult for the establishment due to the transitional generational shifts ahead.

What is happening is that the generation of the 1960s (Baby Boomers) are now being faced with massive change from the perspective as the "establishment" they once battled 40 years ago, but now (and through 2010) this Post-WWII generation is the establishment and they must make way for a new generation now in their 40's and younger as they rise to lead the world into this new century.

On an individual level with a Saturn-Uranus opposition, people choose sides ~ either Saturn, or Uranus. One or the other is "projected" onto other people or groups of people and internalized as the "enemy."

Projections are particularly dangerous because the person doing so often does not consciously realize that they are projecting their own personal fears onto others whom they view as "the other" when in reality it is the person doing the projection who is the "other" but has not faced this fact within their own consciousness. It is a lazy way of not dealing honestly with one's own shadow self, thus projecting one's frustrations and fears onto another person, or group of persons.

This Saturn-Uranus opposition will cause people to become inconsistent in their attitudes regarding their responsibilities (professional and personal) while exhibiting a strong desire for their own personal freedom (Uranus) yet demanding that others obey them (Saturn.)

This inconsistency is rewarded with rebellion (Uranus) because it doesn't make sense for a person (s) groups, etc., to ask that they are the only ones who can have personal freedoms while maintaining that the other person (s) groups, etc., cannot.

Those wanting to effect change from the status quos are "frustrated" by the resistance to change ~ the new versus the old ~ and thus conflict is borne out of this frustration and projection takes place from old to new and from new to old. This is the cycle of 2009, 2010 into 2011.

The resulting conflicts from this Saturn-Uranus opposition are disruptions in personal security, upsets in family groups, friendships, marriages, and professional occupations. There is a very strong likihood of powerful fights between people in power positions and those saying that they've had enough time and must retire.

In this manner, it is also generational, as the Baby Boomers, who've rejected the very idea of aging, are being forced to come to terms with their own mortality. The young generation who rose to confront the establishment of the 1960s and 1970s now have to face their own mortality, and the fact that they are now the new senior citizens and elderly of the world. Sixty and 70 years of age is not the new 30 or 40s. The Baby Boomers have indeed aged and they must come to terms with this fact of life. Saturn will make it very clear during its transit in Virgo and entry into Libra that a new generation, born in the 1960s, is coming into power.

The Saturn-Uranus opposition is not favorable for working with joint money, insurance, and corporate finances. Due to the prior Saturn-Neptune opposition of 2006-07, there has been massive corruption in worldwide money markets. Much of this effect is seen in disasters of the U.S. mortgage-backed securities market throughout the world and investment bankers who played large roles in this corruption will be held to account in 2009 through 2017.

The Saturn-Uranus opposition also shows that many plans of people involving business, professional and political matters will be very strange, eccentric and very impractical with many unexpected events disrupting normal business and economic desires.

There will be persons and groups with ulterior motives who will attempt to get what they cannot achieve on their own through others, thus leading to becoming estranged from friends, business associates and partners. There will be strong reversals of favor and fortune should ulterior motives be used towards personal gain alone.

Being selfish and thinking only of oneself is not a good strategy with this Saturn-Uranus opposition, and the other outer planet aspects at the start of the 2010s. It can lead to burning one's bridges behind oneself. These bridges and contacts will be needed to survive into the decade of the 2010s.

The solution is simple and interdisciplinary. By realizing what is happening with world transits concerning Saturn and Uranus along the Virgo/Pisces axis, one can avoid frontal confrontation by learning to adapt and to seek unity, while avoid polarizing projections.

By using the energies of Saturn to maintain a sense of stability, but also being open to the possibilities of new and exciting changes, and accepting the new ways of doing things via cooperation, one can neutralize the Saturn-Uranus effectively.

Cooperation, peace, and awareness ~ working with people on a team with a like mind and a win/win situation, and through sharing of resources ~ can neutralize these hard aspects; especially those of Saturn and Uranus.

However, the global transition will not be easy. There will be great conflicts between individuals, groups and nations throughout the world based on fears of the new, and the inability to settle old problems. This will be a major problem because the Saturn-Uranus opposition leads to other outer planet aspects that are hard and unfavorable:

- Jupiter-Saturn opposition in 2010 & 2011
- Jupiter Square Pluto aspect (2010 & 2011)
- Saturn square Pluto (2009 & 2010)
- Uranus Square Pluto (2011-2017)

Moreover, transiting Saturn is heading toward Libra, indicating a new era of laws and sense of justice and Uranus is transiting toward Aries, opening up half a new 42-year cycle (out of 84 years.)

The current Uranus cycle is ending the overall 84-yr. cycle begun in 1928, and the current half of that Uranus cycle since 1969. A major new era since 1969 is coming to an end in 2010 ~ and opening the doors for a new generation in 2011.

The coming Jupiter-Uranus conjunction in Pisces in 2010-11 helps to offset some of the rather nastier energies from the Saturn-Uranus opposition; however, the series of oppositions and squares in 2010 and 2011 between Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Pluto are transited by Mars, which activates these hard positions throughout the world.

This will lead to a constant series of crisis throughout the global that have long-ranging consequences if not eased by acts of cooperation, compassion and understanding between people, groups and nations.

Those reading this should take the time in the latter months of 2008 to come up with a series of strategies to work in cooperation with others of like minds, and to begin to think ahead for the next decade of the 2010s. In this manner, one can prepare to effectively navigate the world transits just ahead.
Theo

Hi Theo,

I see you're again 'publishing' on the forum while the rest of us are just asking and writing about what interests and concerns us.

Simply a difference of style? :???:

Kirk

I almost forgot: ..... :)

Kirk wrote:Hi Theo,

I see you're again 'publishing' on the forum while the rest of us are just asking and writing about what interests and concerns us.

Simply a difference of style? :???:

Kirk

I almost forgot: ..... :)
:roll: Is there any law against an astrologer commenting on global mundane transits?
Theo

So what was my point? The off-putting beginning:

Published August 2008
It screams ?MINE!? It lets us know that we are allowed to read it, but we must remember that it's the property of the author, and that this person gets the credit if things come to pass as written. That's so unlike the feel of the forum and the freely given information and help. How could I possibly sit quietly through that?

I think historians will probably see whatever happens in 2020 as an epilogue to the upheavals of this coming decade so, on the mundane level, I'd say we need to look that far ahead to get a proper feel for the next few years (2020 sees Saturn conjunct Pluto in January, three conjunctions between Jupiter and Pluto, and Jupiter conjunct Saturn in December).

I see the coming Saturn/Uranus oppositions as being essentially a build-up, with the T-square in summer 2010 marking the start of a period of permanent crisis which will peak in 2014 and then wind down as the Uranus/Pluto square separates, but which will only begin to be resolved after 2020.

Theo writes of using a 10-12 degree orb for the outer planets (in Cosmos and Psyche Richard Tarnas says he uses 15 degrees for conjunctions), but what grabs my attention about the T-squares in 2010 and 2014 is the fact of simultaneous tight orbs - which I suspect ramps up the power of the transits considerably.

The Saturn/Uranus oppostion in July 2010 is exact less than two days after the Jupiter/Pluto square (there's a period when both aspects will be within 2 arcminutes) while Jupiter and Uranus are 3 degrees apart (and the gods throw in a full moon in between, in half-degree sextile to Jupiter).

The T-square in April 2014 has Jupiter exactly opposite Pluto, with Uranus 3 arcminutes from squaring them - Mars spoils it by being nearly a degree away from the opposition to Uranus. That configuration will be within 10 arcminutes of the eclipse point from 4th of January 2011, which itself happened only 4 hours before a Jupiter/Uranus conjunction!

I might be underestimating how often multiple transits peak so close together (the software I'm using doesn't offer an easy way of checking), and I might be overestimating their importance; but my feeling is that simultaneous transits don't just add together, they multiply - so I think these times will be more 'interesting' and more important historically than looking in less detail might suggest.

Kirk wrote:So what was my point? The off-putting beginning:

Published August 2008
It screams ?MINE!? It lets us know that we are allowed to read it, but we must remember that it's the property of the author, and that this person gets the credit if things come to pass as written. That's so unlike the feel of the forum and the freely given information and help. How could I possibly sit quietly through that?
Excuse me? Sit quiet through what? And just who is "we?" I did write it, and it is normal for a byline to accompany an astrological article. identifying the person who wrote it. You're putting your own projection (whatever that may be) into something that is not there. If you want to comment on the subject of the article (Saturn-Uranus opposition) then by all means, feel free to do so, however, please refrain from the immature comments. Thanks.
Theo

Malcolm Ramsay wrote:I think historians will probably see whatever happens in 2020 as an epilogue to the upheavals of this coming decade so, on the mundane level, I'd say we need to look that far ahead to get a proper feel for the next few years (2020 sees Saturn conjunct Pluto in January, three conjunctions between Jupiter and Pluto, and Jupiter conjunct Saturn in December).

I see the coming Saturn/Uranus oppositions as being essentially a build-up, with the T-square in summer 2010 marking the start of a period of permanent crisis which will peak in 2014 and then wind down as the Uranus/Pluto square separates, but which will only begin to be resolved after 2020.

Theo writes of using a 10-12 degree orb for the outer planets (in Cosmos and Psyche Richard Tarnas says he uses 15 degrees for conjunctions), but what grabs my attention about the T-squares in 2010 and 2014 is the fact of simultaneous tight orbs - which I suspect ramps up the power of the transits considerably.

The Saturn/Uranus oppostion in July 2010 is exact less than two days after the Jupiter/Pluto square (there's a period when both aspects will be within 2 arcminutes) while Jupiter and Uranus are 3 degrees apart (and the gods throw in a full moon in between, in half-degree sextile to Jupiter).

The T-square in April 2014 has Jupiter exactly opposite Pluto, with Uranus 3 arcminutes from squaring them - Mars spoils it by being nearly a degree away from the opposition to Uranus. That configuration will be within 10 arcminutes of the eclipse point from 4th of January 2011, which itself happened only 4 hours before a Jupiter/Uranus conjunction!

I might be underestimating how often multiple transits peak so close together (the software I'm using doesn't offer an easy way of checking), and I might be overestimating their importance; but my feeling is that simultaneous transits don't just add together, they multiply - so I think these times will be more 'interesting' and more important historically than looking in less detail might suggest.
Excellent points and insight Malcolm. You know, the transits of 2020-21 really are very interesting. Going back to the coming start of the decade of the 2010s just ahead, many of the tight orbs of the superior planets; especially Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Pluto are powerful.

I've been looking at the spring 2014 T-square for some time now, and it is really tight. World events will certainly be influenced by the strength of these outer planet hard aspects. The long-running series of Uranus square Pluto in the 2010s is a constant theme, and all the other hard transits from Mars, Jupiter and Saturn seem to play into this Uranus-Pluto square.

By 2019-20, with a series of outer planet conjunctions in tropical Capricorn just prior to the new Jupiter-Saturn conjunction at 0-Aquarius on the Winter Solstice 2020, historians may just indeed note how the 2010s were such an active (and dangerous) decade considering the many hard aspects throughout the 2010s.
Theo

I understand where you are coming from Kirk, there are other peoples writing on the forum who strike me the same way. the ones that really annoy me are those that suggest that to disagree with them is to be ignorant or stupid. AS my daughter the psychologist reminds me, Certainty has NOTHING to do with whether or not one is actually correct. Hence politics.

I have a suggestion for you (and anyone else who finds themselves annoyed with someones writing style or content)

:) Pick appart their arguments and see what you agree with and dont, list your counter arguements and put it in as a reply anyway. Or dont read posts by those persons. I find it cathartic to pick apart some peoples logic and my stress levels do quite well to avoid reading some snarky posters altogether (if i can help it at all!)

;-) otherwise I hear Prozac does wonders for ones stress levels. (insert facetious sense of humor here)

the pull against the status quo is common, how it occurs is not necessarily so common. chaos (uranus) in end cycle (pisces) verses authority (saturn) in agricutlure or well planned community (virgo) gives way Chaos in War (aries) verses authority in Law (libra) I think that in this case Saturn represents the upcoming generation and Uranus the waring tribes of the agrarian past that are slipping (one can hope) in their own blood into the past. Saturn is Exalted in Libra after all. And the world has been filled with nasty petty skirmishes in the last 50 years, lets hope we can stamp them out with a bit of practical thought.

Granny
(hopeless romantic)

Ms. Granny,

Thank you for reviving this aspect of the thread. I wrote:
So what was my point? The off-putting beginning:
Quote:

Published August 2008

I later regretted that I wrote the silly ?It lets us know that we are allowed to read it...?. I didn't want to drag the issue on with a restatement, but now that you've brought me back into the thread (Thank you) I can finally change it to ?We are invited and encouraged to read it, but we must remember that it's the property of the author, and that this person gets the credit if things come to pass as written.?

Satrun-Uranus Opposition

quitefunky wrote:classical theo says
Saturn's transit through Virgo and Uranus' transit through tropical Pisces is causing a mindset across the world of the old (Saturn) being confronted by the new and maverick (Uranus.) The first of several Saturn-Uranus oppositions kicks off on November 4, 2008, which also happens to be the General Election Day for president in the United States.
i would like to add:

uranus as the ruler of astrology is upsetting the saturn mindset
new and exciting ways of doing things are appearing as flashes of insight
old structures and stale ways of thinking are being challenged
innovative ideas and a new awareness
very exciting
It is exciting Quitefunky. This Saturn/Uranus opposition is just the first of several important configurations of the outer planets to come in the years ahead. Uranus' transit towards Aries and Saturn's transit towards Libra along with the entry of Pluto into Capricorn later this month all point to very significant global events in the next decade. Many new ideas are now emerging that will put to rest some of the outdated 20th century structure modes which have caused so much damage in the world economy.
Theo

two things,

one, why should it matter whether or not one gets credit for, or blame for a prediction?

two, I'm more of a Brady follower myself, she is one who says astrology is about free will, here is what you are likely to come up against, now what are you going to do about it? rather than Oh well dont bother you will be hit by a meteor on the way to work next tuesday so you may as well just lay down and wait for it.

;-) (yes I have a sick sense of humor)

and I still say, YOU are the one giving credit, instead of looking at the suggestions objectively and offering yoru own perspective on the proposed prediction. :) dont let the language get you down, take out the subjectiveness and look at the astrology alone and see whether or not you agree! then state your own case. Would love to hear it. (really I would, I like to dissect peoples opinions)

Granny