Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Will I have to resit the exam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerenhappuch

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Will I have to resit the exam? Reply with quote

Querent is university student, just sat end-of-year exams. One in particular went not so well, and she knows that 20 out of 58 students have failed it. She wants to know, is she one of the lucky 38 who passed, or is she one of the 20 who failed and has to resit? This is a nice question because it's a yes/no answer and we will find out if we've judged correctly sometime in July when the marks are given out!

Chart data: 10:17am BST, 16/06/08, Penrith UK.

My immediate attention is drawn to the fact that L1 is the Sun, weak in Gemini, and L10 ("success") is just separating from combustion. Now, I suspect that this indicates the querent is one of the lucky ones, not because she has a good understanding of the subject (Sun is not essentially dignified), but because she has been lucky, or there is another reason why she has passed (standardising of marks perhaps) - because the most powerful debility is being combust. Hence L1 has power over L10 and so she has passed.

The VOC Moon in this chart makes sense as the querent has no control over the outcome at this point, given she's already sat the exam. I think this makes sense of the late Asc. too.

The Nodes are across the Asc/Desc but I think they are too far away (7 degrees) to have any bearing.

Mars is on the Asc - as L9, I'm taking this to show the university itself. In the sign of the querent, I think is a good sign that she has passed. It would be preferable to see L9 inside the Asc, showing the university being completely under the power of the querent, but at least it is in her sign and hence more likely to "want to" pass her.

Other points - The Moon is on Toliman, which according to my source is "Learning and education" - fitting! - Also the MC is on Menkar, which according to my source is a negative influence, and relates to the collective unconscious (?!) - I'm not sure if perhaps this indicates success has less to do with her individual ability than the machinations of the university staff in fiddling the numbers to make sure the right number of people pass (standardising the marks - the querent has mentioned that this is a regular tactic in cases where a particular exam has been unexpectedly easy or difficult). Or, if it's a very negative influence, it might be enough to indicate she has not passed? However, in context, I'm going to take the former interpretation.

My verdict is that although she didn't really deserve to pass, she has managed to do so - just!

Any of your thoughts are most welcome - I will post the outcome in July!

Keren

mattG

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: resit exam Reply with quote

As the querent could be seen as in competition with the other students I looked at the lords of H1 & H7. Saturn is right in the 1st house only 6 degrees fron asc so I think it means they have passed at the the expense of the querent.
kerenhappuch

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

That's a very good point, I had overlooked the presence of Saturn in the 1st. However even if we read this as a "who has won" chart, I think it is still Sun in Gemini which will "win", given L10 is combust and makes no aspect to Saturn (L7).

Of course, Saturn could be just a general malefic indicator, showing that the querent is doomed to resit regardless of the combust L10.

Keren
kerenhappuch

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results are in - the querent has passed - by 4% above the minimum mark! We couldn't expect any better given the lack of dignity in the chart Smile

Keren
mattG

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be proved wrong on this one! I have since learned that a planet has to be within 5 degrees of a cusp to have this effect so I will apply this rule in future
kerenhappuch

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overall balance of testimony in the chart is the important thing, and I see the combustion as being the key testimony here.

It's not so much about the 5 degree rule as the fact that Saturn is in the next sign along from the Asc. This requires a different interpretation than if he were 5 degrees inside the Asc but in the same sign.

Also, the fact that Saturn is *inside* the 1st house, rather than "sitting" on the Asc, makes a massive difference to interpretation. Generally speaking, a planet "on" the cusp of a house has power over that house, whereas a planet "inside" a house is under the power of that house.

I hope this helps Smile

Keren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Horary & Electional Astrology All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: