Mutual Reception in My Chart

Hi all,

I have a mutual reception in my chart but I have some trouble understanding it. I have Sun conjunct Venus in the 7th house (both in Capricorn) and an 11th-house Saturn in Taurus. Venus and Saturn exchange signs and form a trine. They don't seem to be in detriment, so this fact, as well as the trine, appear beneficial - but I don't know what the benefit is.

At the same time, my 5th-house Jupiter is in opposition with the 11th-house Saturn.

Can someone more experienced interpret the relationship between these planets for me? I'd be very much obliged.

Thanks.

Yuliana

juliana_angelova wrote:I have Sun conjunct Venus in the 7th house (both in Capricorn) and an 11th-house Saturn in Taurus. Venus and Saturn exchange signs and form a trine. They don't seem to be in detriment, so this fact, as well as the trine, appear beneficial - but I don't know what the benefit is.
The ruler influences on the planet it rules and modifies it. In this case Saturn (the ruler) gives Venus (ruled by Saturn) taurian (ruler in Taurus) features and Venus gives Saturn capricornian features. Furthermore Venus and Saturn are in trine, so the exchange is strong. In other words the mutual reception is very powerful. Saturn is as well as in Capricorn and Venus in Taurus.

Also to add:

It's hard to say without knowing the degrees, but from what you said, it sounds like Venus and Saturn are perigrine, which is certainly possible. Assuming thats the case, a mutual reception is considered a benefic state, and is especially nice when the affected planets are perigrine or in detriment since it will offset that somewhat.

By the way:
Mithra6 wrote:especially nice when the affected planets are in detriment
I think it is not good if the planets are in detriment or fall.
Venus in Scorpio and Mars in Taurus or Libra, it is bad.
Mars in Cancer and Moon in Scorpio is also bad. :neutral:

zuli wrote:By the way:
Mithra6 wrote:especially nice when the affected planets are in detriment
I think it is not good if the planets are in detriment or fall.
Venus in Scorpio and Mars in Taurus or Libra, it is bad.
Mars in Cancer and Moon in Scorpio is also bad. :neutral:
Actually you're correct. I'm half-asleep.

I have Sun conjunct Venus in the 7th house (both in Capricorn) and an 11th-house Saturn in Taurus.
Sounds like Venus is combust and if so, she cannot be of much help to Saturn in Taurus.

Tom

Hi,

Combustion diminishes the power of a planet to act. Therefore a combust Venus would have a difficult time expressing her qualities. It is a serious debility. There are a few exceptions. Combust planets in their own sign do not seem to be as seriously afflicted and some say they are not afflicted at all. Some say that Mars combust is not serious as Mars is considered hotter and drier than the Sun. The other exception is when a planet is within 17 minutes of arc of the Sun. This is called "cazimi" and it is considered a major strength.

The way I understand mutual reception is that the planets "feed" each other. Each draws from the other. If the planets are weak, as say Jupiter in Gemini and Mercury in Sagittarius, they cannot provide much help to each other. If one planet is weak, like a combust planet, there is no strength to give the planet who is disposited by the combust planet. The non combust planet gives more than it receives.

Keep in mind that there are other opinions on this subject and you should pay close attention to things that may happen when either Venus or Saturn are contacted in your chart. Look to the past and see if either planet was contacted in some way during a major life event. That would give you clues to look for in the future.

Tom

I guess this begs the question of whether Mars *is* hotter and drier than the Sun; can the ruler of the watery triplicity actually be hotter and drier? I understand that perhaps Mars is given to the watery triplicity in order to cool its hotter qualities, but it still seems strange and very paradoxical. Would not a combusted Mars 'go up in steam' in this case?

GH :)

Hi,

I think we put a bit too much emphasis on temperature and humidity when we use the words hot, cold, dry and moist. The meanings go beyond that. They are metaphorical more than actual.

Several texts, I don't have time to look them up, mention that the Sun is moderately hot and dry and Mars is very hot and dry. Mars is more destructive than the Sun. The Sun after all gives life although it can destroy. Mars doesn't give life.

Various authorities treat combustion differently. Some seem to place more emphasis on its debilitating effects than others. We should keep in mind that viewed from Earth it is a visual phenomenon or more correctly a lack of ability to see. The combust planet cannot be seen as it is hidden by the Sun, and the Sun is all powerful so it suppresses the qualities of the planet so placed.

But then what difference does it make if Mars is hotter and drier than the Sun? It has to do with what hot and dry represent. A good explanation can be found in Lee Lehman's Classical Astrology for Modern Living.

Tom