I see that Valens himself deals specifically with the natal scenario I outlined above!
Let these controlling points be considered as proven by us. The first control: the sun in Leo, the moon in Cancer; the luminary in appropriate configuration with the Ascendant or MC will have the control, and the ruler of its term will be houseruler. If both are in the terms of the same star, that star will unquestionably be judged the houseruler.

The second control: if the sun is in the Ascendant, the moon in the XII Place of the Bad Daimon, the sun will have control. The Anthology, Vettius Valens Book III, chapter 1
Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

Nautical Metaphor

I found astrojin''s topic "Hellenistic Astrology 2: Primary Chart Rulers" very interesting and instructive but I found that a practical example was missing.
What I mean by a practical example is, as to how all the rullers could be used during a consultation; how would one tie-up all the nautical officers, the owner, the captain etc, toghether in a series of sentences that a client woul understand.
For instance. one could start with something like:

Let's supose you (client) are a ship that has to cross a see (your life) to reach a destination given by the ship's owner (Oikodespotes) who decides on your destiny. The crossing will be in three major stages (Predominator's bounds) under the command of (Kurios) and several officers etc. etc.

Well, I am stuk with the etc. etc above.javascript:emoticon(':x')
Could someone be nice and provide an exemple using a chart of a real person - some celebrity for example?

Hello mihalerm,

My...I posted this more than 11 years ago!

I posted this to get some views over the usage of the so called "Hellenistic" chart rulers as opposed to the medieval/arabic chart rulers.

My views over these concepts of chart rulers have changed. Furthermore, what I posted was the theoretical/academic approach as opposed to practical approach (which I have my own preferred methods which also have evolved little bit since the last decade!).

If you are interested in a more in depth discussion of Hellenistic Chart Rulers, I suggest you listen to Chris Brennan's traditional astrology podcast (or watch the video version) episode number 205, posted on May 17, 2019:
http://theastrologypodcast.com/2019/05/ ... the-chart/

Alas, the podcast talks a lot about the masters of nativity (almost 3.5 hrs) but almost nothing on the practical interpretation of them!!

Thank you very much for your reply.....on a post 11 years old!
I am disapointed there is no example of the application of the Metaphore.
Why did the ancient astrogers invent the Metaphore if they did't use it?
I was thinking that it could be interesting to start a consultation with a "little story" to get the consultant interested in what follows, by comparing him to a ship and tell him where he is expected to go in his life and what he will find (in broad terms) during his "sea" (life) crossing.
Well, I will try. with the help of a fellow astrologer here in Brazil, to think-up something that hopefully will be sound.
By the way, I have already seen Brennan's video but to no avail - as you said there was not a single example!

Hello again,

I did use some of the metaphors in my consultation (during the times that I did consultations! - as I don't do consultations any more).

Let me write something for your benefit (but be warned - these are my own interpretation of the metaphors). Let's see whether it is of benefit to your study.

Give me a few hours...

Hello yet again,

Before I give you the example, let me just explicate the philosophy that I “mashed up??? (hahaha) from the Hellenistic and medieval approaches that give way to my “so called??? practical methodology…

The Motivation
First, let me explain a little bit my motivation for doing this (when I was still doing this …some time ago!). I believed that if there were a “master??? of a sign (domicile ruler) with its co-master (exalted ruler) and also “mini??? master of a portion of the degrees (term/bound ruler) and even a degree “master??? of each degree (monomoiria), there should then be a master of the whole chart. Thus, began my search for finding one. This was what happened approximately fifteen odd years ago.

It was then I stumbled upon many methods of finding “master of the chart??? or “ruler of nativity???:

1. William Lilly’s method: Called Lord/Lady of Geniture – defined as being the planet that has the highest count of essential and accidental dignities.
2. The medieval/Arabic method: Called Almuten-Figuris – the one advocated by Avraham Ibn Ezra.
3. If I am not mistaken, Lilly also mentioned, what he called, the method of the Greeks: take the planet that has the most dignities in the degree of the moon and Mercury.
4. The so-called Firmicus method: Simply the domicile lord of the sign following the sign of the natal moon.

It was such a headache - different authors (Lilly, the medieval, etc.) not only have different approaches but they also have different tables (tables of terms/bounds Ptolemy’s, Dorotheus’, etc.) and different scoring methodologies, weighting factors, …but I digress!!!

The above methodologies have something in common: the believe that there is ONE planet that rules the nativity. This means that ONE planet rules the whole native but determining which areas is governed by this ONE planet is not so easy! However, upon further study, each methodology above has different philosophy (according to the astrologers who advocate them):

1. Lilly’s method (Lord of Geniture) is to determine “how one should live??? so that one can live to his/her full potential. Go the most dignified planet so that your life will be “most dignified???.

2. The Almuten-Figuris method (according to Robert Zoller) is the planet that has the greatest worldly temptation that you should overcome in order to live above and beyond the astrological-material realm. If you can live “above??? your birth chart by going beyond the Almutem-Figuris, you would be “master of destiny???.

3. The so-called method of the Greeks – taking the planet that has the most dignities in the place of Moon and Mercury is actually not supposed to be a candidate of the ruler of nativity. It is actually the ruler of the mind of the nativity. The medieval astrologers (following Aristotle) believe that there are three types of “souls??? namely the nutritive soul (present amongst all living things i.e. plants, animals and humans), the sensible soul (present amongst animals and humans) and the rational soul (present in humans only). Medieval astrologers then correlate nutritive soul = ascendant, sensible soul = moon and rational soul = mercury. The fact that they take the planet that has most dignities in the place of Moon and Mercury indicate that they are looking a planet that has dominion in both instinctual and rational minds.

4. The so-called Firmicus method is also not to be used as ruler of nativity but rather the planet that indicates survival of the infant upon birth (included in the Hyleg methodology in Dorotheus’ Carmen). The sign following the natal moon sign is the sign that the moon will be on the third day of birth. The ancients did look into the third, seventh and fortieth day of the natal moon for different reasons. The third day of the natal moon is “like??? the second house which the ancients correlated with the house of sustenance and if it is in bad condition, then the infant may not survive. The Indian astrologers will simply say the if the second house of the Chandra-Lagna is bad, then the infant does not get to be reared which is an equivalent way of saying it.

Then, I realized that the Hellenistic approach actually has many of these so-called rulers and different rulers of a nativity rule different parts of the native and Schmidt advocated the so-called nautical paradigm to better understand the function(s) of the different rulers.

This I will cover in the next post – give me a few hours more!!!

Hehehehehe

The Hellenistic-Nautical Paradigm (part 1)

As I go through the metaphor, I shall use Adolf Hitler’s chart (Rodden rating AA).

As I mentioned before, the delineation is based on my own experience of practicing astrology though I still stay within the same philosophical paradigm. Hence, you will observe a few (if not many) are different from the orthodox framework!

The premise is that there are many masters of the chart and each has its own agenda. I like the nautical metaphor simply because it’s so like our life (but this does not make it true!). We started somewhere at a certain time (being born), then launched into life (the ocean) traveling further and further away to our so-called destiny amidst the undercurrents and the winds which are sometime productive and at other times prohibitive.

The starting point is, of course, birth.
NO!!!!!!

The starting point is conception! Do remember that conception is not identical to union of the parents. Conception is the point when the position of Ascendant/Descendant of conception is the Moon’s position at birth and vice versa (the Trutine of Hermes) so that a particular destiny will be fulfilled for the intended soul.

The intended soul travel from above the fixed stars realm picking the energies of the six wandering stars before it comes to a bus stop (the moon) and then shall enter the body of the mother at prenatal lunation (was it Iamblichus or Porphyry who said something like this??? – I cannot remember!). The soul (with the body) then is born on the prescribed date, time & place of birth realizing the intended destiny as was also indicated at conception.

We then come to our first ruler – the so called the “ship??? and its “architect/designer???. This is discerned from the pre-natal lunation degree or Syzygy (the nearest previous new moon or whole moon). You would argue – “but then this the same for the births of all that were born within the two-week period????. Yes, they all have the same pre-lunation degree and its ruler(s) but we do not analyze the pre-natal lunation degree at the pre-natal lunation chart. We analyze the pre-natal lunation degree and its ruler(s) on the birth chart and analyze it!

Degree of pre-natal lunation = “ship???, the term/bound ruler = “architect/designer???. Some say that the “architect/designer??? should be the domicile (or sign) ruler but I disagree. There is one aphorism that I adhere to i.e. “the ruler of a degree, a point or a collection of degree should be the term/bound ruler and the ruler of sign should be the sign/domicile and/or exalted ruler???.

Adolf Hitler: Ship = Pre-natal lunation degree = 26Lib07, “architect/designer??? = term/bound ruler = Venus (term/bound lord of pre-natal moon) and Saturn (term/bound lord of pre-natal sun).

There is an aphorism that says that when a native has ascendant and/or moon and/or sun close to the pre-natal lunation and/or the last Jupiter-Saturn conjunction and/or the last Jupiter-Saturn mutation conjunction, the native’s destiny is bound to be connected to the destiny of the public for good or ill (e.g. the native becomes a “king??? or a “tyrant???).

For Adolf Hitler:
Ascendant is 26Lib41 and this is close to the previous lunation 26Lib07!
Sun is 0Tau48 and this is close to the previous Jupiter-Saturn conjunction 1Tau36
Moon is 6Cap38 and this is close to the previous Jupiter-Saturn mutation conjunction 8Cap54

What is also interesting to see that Adolf’s Jupiter (8Cap15) is also very near to his natal moon and the Jupiter-Saturn mutation conjunction confirming the eminence of the chart (be it good or evil).

This is the signature of someone whose birth will affect the general public in a BIG way! – for good or for evil.

Going back to the “ship??? and “architect/designer??? metaphor:
Ship = Pre-natal lunation degree = 26Lib07

The ship provides information surrounding the live of the native at birth (the time when the ship was produced). If it is in good condition, then we have a Mercedes equivalent – which is going to have a smooth ride even though facing a tempest weather. If it is bad, then we have a second-hand motor car equivalent - which is going to suffer at the slightest winds of change. Does Adolf have a good “ship??? to ride on? Not really, as the pre-natal lunation degree is too close to the opposition of the sun foreshadowing that the father is the opposite of support for him!

The “architect/designer??? provides information on the “stock??? of the parents. This is where you need to see whether the pre-natal lunation was a new moon (both sun and moon in the same degree making the stock of both parents the same) or the pre-natal lunation was a full moon (making pre-natal moon = stock of mother and pre-natal sun = stock of father). In Adolf’s case, the pre-natal lunation was a full moon. Hence, bound/term lord of pre-natal moon = Venus is mother’s stock and bound/term lord of pre-natal sun = Saturn is father’s stock.

Compare Venus and Saturn in the chart: Venus is in her own domicile and Saturn is detriment (mother is more dignified but ineffective in terms of “power??? as Venus is in the 8th house. Father is more effective as Saturn is in the tenth quadrant house but are some how ill-dignified by being detriment). Mother has not been having very good life as Venus is conjoined and overcome by detriment Mars and square detriment Saturn. If you take Venus as ruler of Ascendant, the difficulties pass to Adolf himself as well! Remember though that these analyses hold true during and around Adolf’s early life and not necessarily his whole life (but the double whammy from ill dignified Saturn and Mars to the Lord of Ascendant is not encouraging!).

Next we shall look into the epikratēt??r (predominator), oikodespotēs geneseos (master of the nativity) and sunoikodespotēs (co-master).

Give me a few more hours…hahahaha

The Hellenistic-Nautical Paradigm (part 2)

Next, we shall determine the epikratēt??r (predominator). The predominator is determined from the two luminaries based on the chart sect and house positions. If the two luminaries could not be the epikratēt??r (predominator), then we default to ascendant as the epikratēt??r (predominator).

The epikratēt??r (predominator):
The luminary of the sect is the epikratēt??r (predominator) provided that it is located in the house that is chrematistikos. Non-chrematistikos houses are 6th, 8th, 12th, 3rd (unless it is Moon) and 9th (unless it is the sun).

Luminary of the sect = Sun and it is in the 8th house (whole sign). 8th house is non-chrematistikos. So, Sun is not epikratēt??r (predominator). Consider the moon. Moon is in the 4th house (whole sign). 4th house is chrematistikos. Hence, moon is the epikratēt??r (predominator). Even if you use quadrant house system, moon is in the 3rd house which is still chrematistikos making her the epikratēt??r (predominator).

Predominator = the one who summons the wind (winds of fate). Moon is in an angular house (whole sign) but it is in detriment (Capricorn). Hence, the native will be able to call upon the winds of fate only when he is in a non-mainstream area OR he shines when others are in trouble. The winds will blow in his preferred direction when the winds are blowing against others!

In medieval astrology, the predominator is the one that dictates your primary motivation. The primary motivation is given by the element of the predominator’s sign. Moon is in Capricorn (earth element). Hence, his primary motivation is to seek material security. The drive is given by the quality of the predominator’s sign. Moon is in Capricorn (a cardinal sign). The drive towards material security is through leadership.

The oikodespotēs:

Some say that the Oikodespotēs is the domicile lord of the epikratēt??r (predominator) and the Sunoikodespotēs is the term/bound lord of the epikratēt??r (predominator) – Robert Schmidt follows this or at least that was what he stated at the time (some propose the reverse). I too follow Schmidt but with a twist (see below**)!

**This is where I differ with the Hellenistic and sway towards the medievalists where I follow the rule of hyleg-alchocoden where aspect is required. The rule is that Oikodespotēs must aspect the epikratēt??r (predominator). If it does not then, consider exalted ruler. If not then consider, term/bound ruler. If this also does not aspect the epikratēt??r (predominator) then the native’s life will never be fulfilled and he will live an idle life (the owner of the ship has lost the ship). You see that I consider domicile, exalted and term/bound ruler of the predominator as candidates of Oikodespotēs (not just domicile ruler)

The first candidate of Oikodespotēs is the domicile lord of the epikratēt??r (predominator) and in this case, it is Saturn as Moon is in Capricorn. However, Saturn does not aspect the Moon. Hence, Saturn is not the Oikodespotēs. Next, consider the exalted ruler of the predominator. This is Mars and Mars trines Moon. Hence, Mars is the Oikodespotēs.

Oikodespotēs is the Master of the nativity and it is the owner of the ship (according to Schmidt – which is the one I am following. Robert Schmidt equals the Kurios to the captain of the sip which we will see later. Chris Brennan believes the reverse i.e. Master of the nativity = captain and the Kurios is the owner of the ship).

Oikodespotēs = Master of the nativity = owner of the ship gives the idea that the purpose the owner has for the ship which is then executed by Kurios (successfully or unsuccessfully by the Kurios = captain). The predominator (Moon) summons the wind so that the steersman (Lord of Ascendant) could bring the ship to its designation (destiny) under the command of the captain (Kurios) dictated by the owner of the ship (Oikodespotēs = Master of the nativity). In our example, the Oikodespotēs = Master of the nativity = owner of the ship is Mars. The owner of the ship wants the native to do Martian thing. Mars wants to create war, strife, strike using coercion rather than persuasion, severance, etc. AND if the native does this, he will be successful as the aspect of Oikodespotēs to the predominator is a trine with MUTUAL RECEPTION (remember that the predominator summons the winds of change to bring the native to the owner’s plan).

The Sunoikodespotēs:

To repeat, some say that the Oikodespotēs is the domicile lord of the epikratēt??r (predominator) and the Sunoikodespotēs is the term/bound lord of the epikratēt??r (predominator) – Robert Schmidt follows this or at least that was what he stated at the time (some propose the reverse). I too follow Schmidt but with a twist (see below***)!

*** This is where I differ with the Hellenistic and sway towards the medievalists where I follow the rule of hyleg-alchocoden where aspect is required. The rule is that Sunoikodespotēs must aspect the epikratēt??r (predominator). If it does not then, consider domicile ruler. If not, then consider the exalted ruler. If this also does not aspect the epikratēt??r (predominator) then the native does not have Sunoikodespotēs. You see that I consider term/bound, domicile and exalted ruler of the predominator as candidates of Sunoikodespotēs (not just term/bound ruler)

The first candidate of Sunoikodespotēs is the term/bound lord of the moon being the epikratēt??r (predominator) and in this case, it is Mercury. Though Mercury has whole sign aspect to Moon but the aspect is too wide (usually I use 12 to 13 degrees orb). Hence, consider domicile ruler (Saturn). Saturn does not aspect Moon. Hence, consider exalted ruler (Mars). So, Mars is the Sunoikodespotēs as well as Oikodespotēs.

Sunoikodespotēs is the Oversight Master of the nativity and it provides the constraints and limitations. Borrowing the medieval astrology concept, this is not unlike the Alchocoden which gives indications of the years of life (only that the Medieval astrologers expanded the idea of hyleg to be more than just the luminaries and ascendant).

In our case, the Sunoikodespotēs is Mars. As it is the same as the Oikodespotēs, it just reiterates and fully support the agenda of the Oikodespotēs.
It is also probably a strong candidate for years of life indicator. Mars is detriment but in mutual reception trine with Moon. Hence, we can give Mars the maximum years i.e. 66 years. Square Saturn: -30 years. Trine Jupiter: Should plus 12 but conjunct SNode and fall, plus only (12/2 = 6). Applying trine to Moon should plus 25 years but conjunct SNode and detriment, plus only (25/2 = 12.5). Venus does not add because Venus is ruler of the 8th (house of death). So, 66 – 30 + 6 + 12.5 = 54.5 years. We would say that his length of life is sort of secured up to age 55 approximately of which hard aspects/indications in primary direction/circumambulation, profection and solar return following the years after age 55 may be fatal (not covering that here). As Mars is conjunct retrograde Venus in the 8th house of death, both planets may be involved in his manner of death. Venus as ruler of 1st and 8th conjuncts Mars ruler of the 7th (death by his own hand by gunshot (?), or death with wife (?), or death with cyanide poisoning and gunshot(?), or all of the above (?).

The trigon lords of the predominator

As mentioned before, the predominator is the one who summons the winds but the sailmasters and the oarsmen are the ones who actually guide the ship to fulfil the destiny of the native together with special sailmaster who places himself at the highest point of the ship (tenth house ruler).

Predominator = Moon in Capricorn and this is a day chart.

Primary sailmaster = First trigon lord of Capricorn = Venus
Secondary sailmaster = Second trigon lord of Capricorn = Moon
Oarsmen = Third trigon lord of Capricorn = Mars
Special sailmaster = lord of the tenth whole sign house = Moon

Venus is idle (in the eighth) and square detriment Saturn and conjunct detriment Mars. The native will not fulfil his destiny in the FIRST part of life especially concerning Venusian endeavours. His life will be filled with frustrations in relationships, love, death of mother, and career involving Venus (he did try many times to be artist but failed). The second part of his life is much better (Secondary sailmaster and Special Sailmaster = Moon) which is angular (and though detriment) is very close to the greater benefic (alas in fall). Success is promised if the native goes into non-mainstream pursuits and his life will be more fulfilling. The oarsmen provide continuous support and this comes from Mars (doing Martian things will help him get to the fulfilment of his destiny).

The Helmsman
The helmsman is shown by the Lord of the Ascendant as Ascendant is the helm. This represent his choice of steering especially in his early period of his life. The helmsman is Venus as Ascendant is in Libra. Again, this reiterates what he wants to do in early life, steering his life toward Venusian pursuits and we already covered the effects of Venus to his chart above.

The Second Officer
The second officer is represented by the Lord of the Lot of Fortune. He is the guy on the look out for the fortuitous fortunate events that one can capitalize or the fortuitous unfortunate events that one can avoid. The Lot of Fortune is 2Can31 and the Lord is Moon. Again, it’s the Moon!!! We have already covered how the Moon helps him in his second part of life and this is confirmed as the Lord of the Lot of Fortune usually manifest itself in the later part of his life (opposite to the Helmsman). This is even more telling as the lord of the Lot of Fortune resides in the furthest place from Lot of Fortune (seventh from Fortune) which indicates supporting Fortuitous events late in life (or far from one’s place called home).

Next, we will cover the Kurios and maybe the Lord of Geniture and Almutem Figuris for completion sake (?). Give me a lot more hours as I will be busy ….hehehe

The Hellenistic-Nautical Paradigm (part 3 – Last part)

Hello yet again,

Forgot to mention that the Helmsman is the First Officer but I did mention that the Lord of the Lot of Fortune is the Second Officer.

Kurios – Ahoi Captain!
Now we get to the last ruler of the nativity namely the Kurios = Captain of the ship. When it comes to the captain, he/she has to be voted into position i.e. there is a checklist that a planet has to go to and judgment is required in order to pick the correct one to serve as the Captain.

Planets capable of being the Kurios are:
1. A planet in the rising sign, and esp in the bounds of the Ascendant. Or
2. The domicile lord of the Ascendant. Or
3. The lord of the Moon. Or
4. Domicile Lord of 10th sign from ascendant.
5. The lord of the Lot of Fortune. Or
6. The bound lord of the prenatal lunation.
7. A planet that makes a heliacal rising, setting, within 7 days of the birth (if there are multiple then the one that is not under the beams is preferred).
Then choose amongst those above that are high in power, dignities, phase and aspect.

For our example (Adolf’s chart:
1. Nil
2. Venus
3. Saturn
4. Moon
5. Moon
6. Venus
7. Venus, Mars and probably Mercury

One glance above, it looks like Venus is the most voted one i.e. Venus = Kurios. Venus is in the 8th (Whole Sign house) and very close to the 8th (quadrant house) which is an idle house which suggests that the Kurios is going to launch into projects that are going to fulfil the ship’s destiny i.e. the intent of the ship’s owner (because Venus = Kurios conjuncts Mars = Oikodespotēs) and Kurios is aligned with the helmsman (Kurios = helmsman = Venus) but not without problems for Venus and Mars are antithesis to each other and both square detriment Saturn. The square of detriment Saturn ensures that the projects that Venus launched into will be undone. Furthermore, Venus is retrograde which indicates declining/retreating from position of authority. In this case, it means that the Kurios will be making bunders along the way which jeopardize the life of the native in such a way that some of the things achieved will be taken away.

Two of the Hellenistic timing methods that I find useful are the major decennials and the Releasing (Zodiacal aphesis). If you look at the collection of the rulers of nativity, Venus seems to be highlighted as she is Kurios, helmsman and the primary sailmaster. As Venus is the one getting the double whammy from both detriment Saturn and detriment Mars, we would expect very bad period/episode during when Venus = chronocrator. Mars = Oikodespotēs = Sunoikodespotēs, we would expect that the native will experience his peak during which the master of nativity (Mars) is chronocrator. However, the period of Venus will take away whatever is gifted during the period of Mars.

Using Major Decennials:
Mars period = Age about 42 to 53
Venus period = Age 53 to about 64

He became Fuhrer during Mars period (age 45) and he died during Venus period (age 56).

To confirm about his reaching his destiny, zodiacal releasing methodology dictates that if releasing from Lot of Spirit reaches the tenth sign from the Lot of Fortune, the native will have reached his highest peak (not everybody will experience this!). For Adolf, this does happen and it happens between ages 41 to 56. Amazing that this is the period where he became Fuhrer and also died at the edge of the period! We could be more specific but this is good enough as practice (and I am too lazy anyway!).

Just for completion, if you were to calculate Almutem Figuris (Ibn Ezra’s method), you will get Venus. If we were to believe Robert Zoller, the native will have to overcome the temptations of the flesh in order to soar above the influence of the stars and be master of one’s destiny. Quoting from Zoller’s Medieval Astrology Diploma materials:

If Venus is your Almutem and you are given to partying and such like then you have to let go of this in order to achieve the knowledge of the All. These things come to you naturally because in the non-enlightened and nonspiritual state because they are powers that you have. But, when you move
in the direction of the All, you have to let go of these things.

I forgot to mention one other thing that one should consider before even looking at the rulers of nativity i.e. whether the native’s life is more Eros based or Necessity based. If a native’s life is more Eros based, the native has more opportunities opened for him/her in life and they have to make conscious choices as to where they are heading in his/her life. If a native’s life is more Necessity based, the native will feel that there is this wave of “destiny??? that somehow carries them to places they should be with or without them making conscious choices on it. Adolf’s life is more necessity based – i.e. he will find life somehow brings him to places that he is meant to be and him making choices out of necessity rather than creative choices. To know which is a native’s outlook (Eros or Necessity), three Lots must be calculated namely Lot of Eros, Lot of Necessity (both Valens methodology – not Paulus) and Lot of Basis. If Lot of Basis = Lot of Eros, then native is more Eros based. If Lot of Basis = Lot of Necessity, then native is more Necessity based.

With that, I end my ramblings…hopefully they will be useful in your study…

PEACE!