Porphyry, recommendations...

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, it's fairly general...anyway, I was wondering if anyone here is famaliar with Porphyry - ? He was a greek philospher, a student of Plotinus, etc. He wrote, among much else, on astrology & has a fascinating commentary that is available online 'On the Cave of the Nymphs' from the odyssey...I'm curious if anyone here has recommendations for further reading on ancient 'pagan' greek philosophy/astrology - ? Thanks!

Hi Cynthia,

I really don't know anything about Porphyry other than the house system named after him. If you want a solid background in Greek astrology, I recommend Dorian Greenbaum's translation of Paulus titled: Late Classical Astrology: Paulus Alexandrinus and Olympiodorus (2001). This is an astrology text. It is not an explanation of Greek Astrology, and it is not for the astrological beginner. There are two histories that discuss Greek Astrology, but are not devoted entirely to it: A History of Western Astrology by Jim Tester (1987) and A History of Horoscopic Astrology by James Holden (1996).

Back to the texts there are translations available of Carmen Astrologicum by Dorotheus of Sidon, and Matheoses by Firmicus Maternus. Finally there is the scholarly Greek Horoscopes by Otto Neugebauer and H.B. Van Hosen (1959).

These works should keep you busy for a half lifetime or so. ;-)

Tom