Moon VOC

The Moon is most commonly termed Void Of Course, or VOC, when it has completed all of its major applications to the major planets in one sign and is 'adrift' until it enters the next sign. It is like the Moon has been given the rest of the day off and gone on 'vacation' for the interval in question. This gives 'function' the opportunity to sway away from the A4 of everyday routines, and matters often don't work out as expected. There is the rare occasion for play, creativity and any kind of jazz or improvisation. While some texts have suggested it's a good time to go out for a beer, it is also a super time to throw a party because people are on a natural high - without the booze! (Although don't imagine depriving your guests of something to drink! Or else your party will go down among the classics together with Mr.Bean's New Year Celebration!)

How much does a VOC Moon damage a chart? There is no standard answer for that. It could be a protection and indicate that a message or rumour holds no truth, or that things that have been lost will be returned.

According to some authorities, including Lilly and Al H. Morrison, the Moon is not so much damaged and will still perform if VOC from the signs of Taurus, Cancer, Libra, Sagittarius or Pisces. This would be explained that this either were signs where she had essential dignities or her natural powers agree with powers of the rulers of those sign, viz. the benefics.
The Moon may also be saved if applying to a planet in the very begining of the next sign.

I suppose I am asking for some thoughts and observations on how the Moon performs when VOC in the earthy triplicity by night, when she is essentially dignified in these signs, or in the last decan of Aquarius where she is dignified by face. It seems reasonable that the Moon's performance still could be founded when she is VOC but in the reception with any planet. Like on this day of writing - the Moon is VOC late in Virgo, but in reception with Mercury, who is in her face in Aquarius.

Any like to share their observations? For the record, I have a VOC Moon on the IC of my nativity. One of my previous landlords name was 'Vocaty'.
http://www.astronor.com

Andrew wrote: The Moon may also be saved (from being voc) if applying to a planet in the very beginning of the next sign.
I learned from Deb that voc moon is one which is out of orb of aspecting another planet regardless of where it is in the sign. A planet can be voc at the beginning of a sign if it is out of orb of its next and/or last aspect. There is a gap in activity and that's what makes for a voc condition. So, for instance, my natal moon at 29* Virgo, which I was prepared to accept was voc until I learned this other way of defining the condition, is saved from being void because it is in orb of both a separating sextile from Jupiter in Scorpio and an applying sextile to Mars in Leo. In other words, under this definition, it is the gap in engaging with any other planet that makes the moon void of course. It has nothing to do with changing signs.

What do you think of this way of defining voc? And how do you describe the effect of having moon voc in your natal chart?

Tara

I had an interesting horary today with Moon VOC in Virgo in the 5th house in a mixed reception with Mercury in the Moons face of Aquarius in the 10th house. The question was regarding a sweet-heart. The couple weren't seeing each other at present, but kept in touch by sending eachother SMS's of courtesey at Xmas and New Year.

Moon in the sign of Mercury has merit, as Mercury exchanges and shows a face by the agency of modern mobilephone-technology as indicated by its location in Aquarius.

That's interesting, Andrew, but you haven't answered my questions. I am very interested to hear what you have to say in regard to:

What you think of the definition of voc as laid out in my previous post?
and
How do you feel a natal voc moon tends to affect a person's life/character, etc.?

I look forward to hearing what you think.

Tara

I was going to get to your questions, although I very much hope for the participation of others.

No I do not agree in terming the Moon VOC if contending a gap in a sign before applying to the next planet.

Marlene Bassoff wrote an amusing article on the Moon VOC in nativities that was reprinted by Al H. Morrison, CAO TIMES in 1977. Morrison once said to me that: "You can use anything you get from me, as long as you say where you got it from". Under those terms you may find Marlene's article on my site at http://www.astronor.com/Vocmoon.htm

Excuse my notes. I might rewrite the article, but hadn't got the time on this Saturday evening.

Hello Tara and Andrew,

If I am permitted to interrupt...

My take on VOC moon:

Generally, moon is VOC if she does not apply to any of the 7 traditional planets (orb is not considered) until she enters another sign.
My considerations:
1. Only the 7 traditional planets are used.

2. No orbs i.e. if the moon is at 2 deg Gemini and the next aspect is to a planet at 25 deg Leo - she is not VOC (this seems to go against Lilly and Deb)

3. I consider only the Ptolemian aspects. Parallel, conta-parallel, antiscions, contra-antiscions, etc. are not considered.

I stick to this meaning in Natal astrology only!

When I see a VOC moon in a natal chart, then I see an ineffective person (not unfavorable, not evil, not malefic, just ineffective) in dealing with mundane matters. This does not mean that the native's dealings with ALL mundane matters are going to fail (just probably half of them!).

Now before you go off and test this (and quickly find that this does not work), I use this definition for natives whose moon are their strongest personality planet. I see a person who fails again and again in manifesting his own personal agenda if his main luminary is VOC moon (nocturnal chart) with moon in angular houses or closely aspecting ascendant, or Moon is ruler of Nativity or at least his ascendant...

What is more alarming in natal is the condition of what is know as Feral moon where moon makes no traditional aspect with any of the traditional planets whatsoever while she travels in the whole sign. I still use the same meaning as VOC moon, only a higher degree of ineffectiveness.

Moon represents (among other things) collector and translator of energy. She carries the energy of the last planet she aspected and she then gives this energy to the next planet she applies to and then she picks up the energy of the planet she applies to and carries it to the following planet, and so on and so forth until she aspects the last planet in a sign. She then carries this energy until she has to embark to another sign where she has to drop this energy. It is like a person with a baggage but somehow has to drop it as he enters a new country. So, from the last aspect that she makes until she embarks into a new sign, she carries the energy to noone (VOC!) and the moment she enters the new sign this energy has to "shreded". In the new sign she has to start fresh (traveling solo) carrying her own energy until she meets/aspects the first planet...

So, if the moon is not feral - we have three "phases"
1. From the moment she enters a new sign to when she aspects the first planet - she is carrying her own energy

2. From the first aspect she makes to the last aspect when she turns VOC, she is carrying her own energy plus the energy of the previous aspects

3. From the last aspect to when she enters a new sign - she is VOC

When she is in phase 1:
She is carrying her own energy only (but she is applying to another planet - no orb considered). She is free to do her own agenda but she is also restricted as she is about to aspect another planet. If she is not aspecting any planet when she enters a new sign until she leaves the sign, she is too "free", turning "wild" hence equals feral!

When she is in phase 2:
She is carrying the energy of the planet she last aspected and about to give this energy to the planet she is applying to.and also collecting the energy the planet she is applying to. In natal astrology, this gives a very interesting dimension in delineating the moon for your moon is also carrying the energy of the last planet she aspected e.g. if your moon's last aspect was to Mars, your moon is also going to exhibit martial qualities. You would be able to observe this to those whose moon is important (moon is ruler of ascendant or nativity or very strong in the chart,...). Another dimension to consider is the additional aspect. If the last aspect of moon wass to planet A and the next aspect is to planet B, automatically A and B has an additional aspect to be considered if A and B are not already in aspect.

When she is in phase 3:
She is carrying the energy of the last planet she aspected but to noone - it is like there is no closure and she just has to abandon the project as she enters a new sign ... VOC.

Now, all that I have outlined are for natal astrological analysis.

In horary, I would not not consider moon to be VOC if as she enters a new sign she quickly applies to another planet (small orb though) and this I have to accept from many of my own experience. This is like saying although the moon has to drop the energy (baggage) that she is carrying to a new sign (country), as she enters the new sign (country) somebody is already in proximity of the border of the country who can legally take on the energy or baggage she is carrying!

Void of Course Aquarius Moon in USA Chart

Andrew,

On of the proposed USA Declaration of Independence Charts, the Sibly, has Sag rising, Moon/Aquarius/3rd separating from trine of Mars/Gemini in 7th and VOC. I have worked out a slightly later rectification for this figure and have some comments for you on the Moon.

I recommend looking at either planets the Moon rules or which rule the Moon in turn as testimony which may help or inhibit the Moon's ability to fulfill her promise. In general, I agree with most sources that VOC Moon's are generally ineffective. For this figure, Moon/Aquarius/3rd shows the need for women's rights, the publication thereof; and canals/waterways for short-term transportation as two major themes. Many incidents regarding the Panama Canal were timed by directions of the Moon the angles for this figure. Notably, early efforts to construct the canal were failures, it took repeated efforts before the Canal could be constructed which required substantial efforts of Congress and the President to achieve. In the end, Teddy Roosevelt engineered a war in Panama for this purpose. Many early Panama Canal attempts were marred by reckless business partnerships, consistent with Mars/Gemini/7th.

For this figure, Saturn/Libra can be taken as Congress; Sun/Cancer as the President (among other delineations). Normally we might think to just look at Saturn because it rules the Moon. When I say look at planets the Moon rules, including the Sun, I am making an inference to the form-matter relationship between rulers and planets. If the ruler shows both the source and the outcome of a planets effects; then if the Moon is the ruler of the Sun, it's outcome has to do something with the Sun.

Also, I see you are using Chaldean decans, e.g., Moon rules 3rd decan of Aquarius. So far I find these useless and am working more with the decans based on triplicity, e.g., for Aquarius, decan rulers are Saturn(Aquarius); Mercury(Gemini); and Venus(Libra).

Hope this helps.
Dr. H.
World Class Research in Medieval Predictive Astrology
www.regulus-astrology.com

Hi Astrojin,

Your articulation of the natal voc moon is the most enlightening I've come across. I can relate! Nothing I've read or heard about voc moon has described the natal dynamic quite so effectively as yours, Astrojin, and I thank you for that. I think you've really hit the mark. :'

Tara