A few comments on the NFC Championship game

The two NFL conference championship games were played yesterday.
The AFC game was played in Foxboro, MA, and started at 3:05:00 pm, EST. The NFC game started at 5:44:00 pm CST in Green Bay, WI. These are actual starting times, good to the nearest half minute.

The Packers were the home team in the NFC game, and were favored by about a touchdown. Therefore we should be safe in assigning them to the first house. What is interesting about this chart is that when analysed by Frawley's methods there isn't really much going on. Unless I've missed something my opinion was that the Packers would win by default. Even the midpoints were on vacation, with one exception. The midpoint JU/UR is about a degree below the 7th cusp, and on that basis I thought the Giants might cover the spread (i.e., might do better than expected). With the Moon making no aspects within a reasonable orb one might expect an uninteresting game.

As it happened, however, the exact opposite was true. It was an exciting game, with the lead changing several times, and the outcome in doubt right up to the end. Indeed, the game went into overtime, only the second time in NFL playoff history this has happened. I might also mention that the temperture at game time was -1-degrees F, the third coldest game in NFL history. There was also a strong wind blowing, making the wind chill about 25 below. The commentators were surprised that both teams passed the ball as much as they did, considering the conditions. If it wasn't for the arctic conditions one would have thought it was an ordinary game.

The Giants won the game with a field goal early in OT, sending them to the Superbowl.

It is hard to square the indicators in the chart with this result. There are a couple of things, however, that might provide the answer. First note that the Sun has just moved into AQ. On p. 44 Frawley says that a major change of dignity by the Sun (the favorite) can determine the outcome on it's own. This could be true here, as Leo is on the ascendant. Were there more games to be played the teams would of course adjust to the new placement, but in this case the Sun entered AQ sometime around mid-day. Another factor is that the Moon is actually void of course, unless you consider a trine to Uranus. Frawley states that the Moon void is relevant if the Moon isn't one of the main rulers, which is the case here, and if there are no factors to the contrary, which is also the case. I have a couple of sports astrology tapes from years ago, and they both maintain the Moon VOC is a strong testimony for the underdog.

I am going to present an analysis of this game using Sophia Mason's system of diurnal charts, but I will put that in a separate post. Besides, it's time for my coffee break, and I want to see what the morning paper says about the game!

I invite your comments.

Bob