DeVores Encyclopedia

The Amazon computer has notified me of the reprint of this book because I liked Joseph Crane's new work. I have seen it quoted here before so is it worth buying? I already have Fred Getting's encyclopedia of astrology. I have also noticed that it can be cheaper to buy books from the Book Depository site - at least in the UK

Hi Matt. I agree with Peter, DeVore is a good basic reference. It contains many entries which a traditional astrologer will appreciate. Often, I've found tidbits in DeVore that I've not seen anywhere else and I'm glad it's been reprinted. My favorite astrological dictionaries are DeVore and Larousse, but I think the latter is out of print -- making the DeVore reissue especially welcome.

DeVore's book was first published in 1947. It does have some solid traditional references and given what was available at the time, it is probably as well done as it could be.

For a more traditional and wildly biased, but fun read, Try Wilson's Dictionary of Astrology. DeVore refers to Wilson as does almost everyone else until the mid 20th century. Wilson's work was first published in 1819, and was the standard reference until DeVore. There are even limited references to Uranus (Ouranos) and a reference to the four main asteroids.

I own both books and use them both as references and for reading now and then.

Tom

Tom said: For a more traditional and wildly biased, but fun read, Try Wilson's Dictionary of Astrology. DeVore refers to Wilson as does almost everyone else until the mid 20th century. Wilson's work was first published in 1819, and was the standard reference until DeVore.

That's interesting. I was just browsing through Pearce and noticed [not having read this thread] that he seemed to have some disagreement with Wilson on something. I haven't read Wilson, so I couldn't tell, but thank you for drawing my attention to this and it will certainly be on my list when I get round to shopping again. :)
http://www.astronor.com