We've discussed this a few times in the past. I think it is logical but it's not really practical, the main disadvantage being that unless you are able to watch the game live, there's no way of knowing which team kicks off.

I think there are cases where a chart may be judged without deciding who is asc or des. In such instances, any fortification of the Midheaven is an advantage to the favourite. As far as I can grasp, Fortuna represents the favourite. I wish the effect of Fortuna was more clear and cutting. This could probably be the case in contests of a certain quality. It would appear that the order of considerations should be adjusted according the nature and quality of the contest.

Today we have Birmingham - Newcastle. Birmingham keeps the ascendant, that is for sure. But in the game Gueugnon - Nantes, played half an hour earlier in France, Nantes are 2nd in their league while Geuegnon are rock bottom. Geuegnon are not in command of the situation. They will loose their league. They loose the ascendant.

I'm all into the relationships formed between the lord of the hour and the radical ascendant, to see whether there is a give-away here regarding how a chart should be approached.

As the quality of matches step down from premier level, the element of predictability changes. The outfall of the match is decided according to a different weatherbell - and our tools should be adjusted accordingly. In almost every instance there are several matches of various qualities occuring at almost the same time. The art is understanding the qualities of the game and matching these with the qualities of the moment.
http://www.astronor.com

New idea from Bonatti.

Look at rulers of 6th and 12th and see which is stronger (essential +accidental). If stronger 12th then ASC=Home team, If stronger 6th DSC=Home team.

It is not Bonatti himself, it is really B.Brady. Brady (and me) think, 2th house is material support and physical reserves or form of team or sportsman. 12th house is non-material support of local town and fans. 2th house represent team reserves and their past record. So, power of 2th (or 8th) houses may represent a potential favorite.

Idea is absolutely new, I tried it yesterday 1st time, so I take sum of essential and accidental dignities.

I tried to study essential dignity on 4th house cusp (which ruler get more essential dignity there), but it seems don't work.
Alexey

Jumping over from the Take Part thread,
Deb wrote: seeing the whole chart as relevant to the home team.
This makes sense considering the fact that the chart is after all cast using the coordinates of the home team, thereby placing the focus on them, although I'll still persit giving the AC to odds-on-faves becuase they are expected to win, and in a much stronger position than underdogs. They are able to dominate and control the game.

What are your reasons for giving the AC to the home team, Deb?

Hi Gem
What are your reasons for giving the AC to the home team, Deb?
Well, just what you said really. It's a fumbling approach based on my view that the chart is for an event at that time, at that place, and that the 'spirit' of the place is characterised by the home team. I can understand the argument about giving the asc to the favourites, and I do have respect for that, but at the moment this is the perspective that resonates the strongest.

I think the ascendant is for the team that is in possession. In most cases the home team is in possession (or command of the field) and the challange is greater for the visiting team to succeed in seizing the grounds.

But on occasion the favourites are in a pole position in such a manner that it is 'they' who have to be defeated. In these instances the favourite may take possession of the ascendant upon the outstart of the contest.

Ie. Arsenal were doing that well last Autumn and winning that many away matches, that it hardly made any difference whether they were playing away or at home. In this incidence it was easy to associate Arsenal with the ascendant even when they were playing away.. (?)
http://www.astronor.com