Astrological Roots: The Hellenistic Legacy by Joseph Crane

I wonder if anyone knowledgeable in Hellenistic Astrology has read this book and could offer an opinion of it?

I am trying to learn Traditional/Classical Astrology and have little prior knowledge to measure the book against. Anyway would love to hear your opinions and/or where I could find any reviews of the book.

Thanks!

Tara
Last edited by Tara on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi Tara, I'm reading it for a Skyscript review - coming soon! If you don't want to wait for the review, I'd say get the book - I have some minor niggles but overall I think it does a good job, and I certainly can't think of any one book that does the job better.

Thanks, Garry. I've read a fair bit of the book and to say that I'm enjoying it would be an understatement. My astrological eyes are popping!

I look forward to reading your review.

Tara

Review of Astrological Roots: The Hellenistic Legacy

Hi Garry,

I read your excellent review of Hellenistic Astrology.
Link to Garry's review of Astrological Roots: The Hellenistic Legacy : http://www.skyscript.co.uk/rev_crane.html
You are so right on the money with your analysis of the book's considerable merits as well as its weaknesses. I too wished there had been more illustration of the way he'd seen the techniques work in his practice with clients, etc. I also wished he'd unpacked the whole sign houses argument more as I find them strangely powerful to work with and am very intrigued by them. I had been trying out the techniques as I read the book as you recommend doing in your review. And wonderfully enlightening they are. Both the study of horary and now this introduction to Hellenistic astrology have sharpened my work with clients a great deal.

I agree with you that the book is a splendid contribution and should be recommended. Thanks again for your excellent review.

Tara