Aargh, Spurs were playing in yellow :x Just kidding, I don't think it changed anything. Gem, was it a case of antiscial red herrings again? The Moon sextile Mars (L4) - one goal for Spurs - apparently trumped the antiscia testimonies, but how would one have known that beforehand?
Well done, Andrew :' Onwards and upwards.....

I've changed my mind re the ManC/WestHam game. Since I'm cheering with ManC, I will either go with them - or not buck it!

The Moon's application to Mercury, L1, is significant. The Moon, who is AL10, casts her dexter square through signs of short ascension from the terms of Mercury. The dexter aspect is in favour of the team that controls the pitch. Mercury is lord of both day, hour and the radical ascendant, and he is AL1, since he has dignities in the place of the asc by both domicile, exaltation and terms.

It is true that POF/POS is conjunct Venus, who is AL7, but by nature this allignment is fortunate for the favourite. Venus is dipositor of the Moon (public sentiment) and the 10th. Venus is also in reception by term with Saturn, who is allocated in the 1st, and this should be sufficient for the decision to go in City's favour on their home track.
------------------------------------------------------------
The game between Ankaragucu and Besiktas at 1500 CET is rather interesting, because Besiktas are favorites by odds, but the Moon is lady of the Cancer ascendant and applies to the trine of Jupiter, L10. POF in Libra is also making a hard square to the Sun in the 7th (and Libra, the sign POF is his fall), with may prove a disadvantage to the favourites, Besiktas, who are the away team.

The Lyon game yesterday was postponed and will be played at 1500GMT today instead. It is still an excellent bet. Lyon are represented by the Sagittarius des. The Moon applies by trine to Jupiter, L7, and Jupiter applies by trine to Saturn, L10!
http://www.astronor.com

Well done Andrew, especially on Reading/Spurs! :'
notice how Jupiter, L7, is vazarite and in a situation of joy. This is mentioned by Al-biruni as the situation that occurs when a planet comes out of the Sun's Beams. There is a reception by triplicity between Jupiter, L7, and the Moon, AL10.
This was particulary a good observation.

Ficina
was it a case of antiscial red herrings again?
Possibly. There were quite few testimonies and I'll have a look later which ones worked.

Re: tonight's FA Cup matches, I've only had a quick glance but both Man City and Newcastle look all right.

There were quite few testimonies and I'll have a look later which ones worked
I'm thinking it's not so much a question of which ones worked and which ones didn't, but more a case of which ones work better or carry greater weight than others. So I've been trying to compile a possible hierarchy of testimonies. I know it's very difficult to generalise but this is what I've come up with so far.

Bodily emplacement
Bodily aspect
Antiscial emplacement
Antiscial aspect

Any comments?

I'm thinking it's not so much a question of which ones worked and which ones didn't, but more a case of which ones work better or carry greater weight than others
Agreed. That's actually what I meant and
I've been trying to compile a possible hierarchy of testimonies.
that's what I was going to do :D when I have time.

In the meantime let's start off from what you've given us. I see that you agree with JF that 'Bodily emplacement' comes at the top. Then he differenciates between POF aspects and Moon aspects(both including anticiscia). When you say 'Bodily aspect', do you include all, POF, Moon and anticisia, say Jupiter conjunct anti-something? And by aspect, you are not only talking about conjunction? Conjunction often is the strongest testimony in some cases.

When you say 'Bodily aspect', do you include all, POF, Moon and anticisia, say Jupiter conjunct anti-something?
I've put aspects to antiscia at the bottom of the list. I'm not sure about PoF - we'll need to consider its relative importance in the scheme.
And by aspect, you are not only talking about conjunction? Conjunction often is the strongest testimony in some cases.
I'm talking about all aspects, but this category could be broken down with conjunction being superior to other aspects. We can have hierarchies within hierarchies :)

Try and make sure that the winning planet is essentially dignified, or else it will hardly perform, let alone achieve any glory.
I mention again (since I learnt a bit by that fact) the antiscia of POF to the descendant did Valencia, the away team, nothing but trouble because POF was in the degree of the Moon's fall.

I still think the task of sorting out the games that can be predicted, and those that should be left alone, is important. I will also try to include testimonies from the lord of the hour and its relationship to the radical ascendant (and descendant) where that seems to give meaning.

The game between Le Mans and Lyon today occurs in the hour of the Moon. Together with other testimonies in favour of Lyon, who are playing away, it is obvious that the Lady of the hour agrees neither with the Gemini ascendant or the powers of Mars in the ascendant. Her agreement is much more with the Jupiter-ruled descendant.

I have to apologise, Ficina. Come to think of it, investigating hierarchical order of strength was not exactly on my mind when I wrote `that was what I was going to do` :bl I was thinking more in terms of examining them in the Reading /Spurs chart.
Usually we have only one or two testimonies at best in a chart, so I haven`t done much of weighing them up in the past.
You`ve given us plenty to think about but I`m not yet able to draw any definite conclusions at this stage.
As Andrew pointed out, it also makes sense to take finer points in the chart into consideration and each chart may have to be judged on its own merit.
Nevertheless it`ll be very useful and helpful if we can draw up such general guidelines.
Last edited by Gem on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aw! :( Still more to learn!

Le Mans - Lyon 1-0
How on earth did they manage that? Lyon are top of the league. Have Le Mans knocked them out of the cup? The chart is not radical. The Lady of the hour is not in tune with the ascendant. Her application to L7 produces nothing. Nor does the mr between L1 & L2 take precedence.

Ankaragucu - Besiktas 1-1
Another upset. Ankaragucu took an early lead and it was sure looking good. This chart is cast for the hr of the Sun. There is no good mix between the ascendant and the lord of the hour, but the Moon and the Sun are in the same triplicity. The lord of the hour is in the 7th, so the away team get their point. Fortuna in Libra square the Lord of the hour..

tut-tut...

I've had a look at the Le Mans/Lyon chart and agree that the testimonies favour the Desc team. Moon trine Jupiter (L7) and antiscion Jupiter conj Desc. Is there a case for giving the Desc to Le Mans even though they are the home team? Presumably they were the underdogs, so that's one reason. Their home colours are red which fits with Sag/Jupiter, so that's a second reason.

I accept that this is with hindsight, but it fits with what I was saying in the Allocating the Ascendant thread. Thank you, Andrew, for giving me the opportunity to test it out :)