Epsom Derby, 2007

For those interested, here's the chart for the Epsom Derby on June 2nd. (Time from the BBC site)

Venus has to be descriptive of the winner don't you think?

Does anyone know when we get information on jockey's colours? (Don't know much about horse-racing but I'll keep some of my dumb questions - like can male and female horses race? - for my husband)

The planetary hour, ruler BTW, is Jupiter

Here they are:

Acapulco 28
Admiralofthefleet 22
Anton Chekhov 25
Aqaleem 21
Arabian Gulf 23
Archipenko 20
Authorized 16
Chinese Whisper 24
Eagle Mountain 28
Eastern Anthem 28
Jalil 15
Kid Mambo 21
Leander 27
Lucarno 26
Mahler 27
Mythical Kid 21
Petara Bay 35
Regime 35
Salford Mill 28
Soldier Of Fortune 23
Strategic Prince 28
Yellowstone 20

I can not find names of horses on that site which Ficina recomend
Sorry about that, Goca and everyone. Thanks, Amelia, for listing the names. For anyone who wants to see the colours and get the horses' DOBs you will have to register at the site. It's easy to do and doesn't cost anything :)

www.racingpost.co.uk

Cheers,
Ficina

I registered ? very useful Ficina, thanks!

I?ve been previewing some of the material in Ben Dyke?s new translation of Bonatti (it?s just great, but I?ll say more on that later).

Bonatti has a chapter on how to tell which horse will win a race. In a nutshell he recommends judging by the Lord of the hour, but only if it is in the 1st, 10th or 11th house.

If not, we should look for another planet in those houses (in that order of preference) ? hence Venus here fits the bill according to Bonatti.

?You will be able to see by this which animal would win, and his colour and age and his goodness and fame?. ? ?Whence know that the winner will be known by the colour of the animal?.

You consider that planet?s dignity:

Own sign = noble and renowned (a favourite)
Exaltation = the most famous and renowned, having made many wins (?the? favourite)
Own triplicity = good form but not so well known
Own term = not so well known
Own face = hardly known

If there is no dignity, it is unknown ? he says ?like a farm animal? but maybe we can compare this with horses like the one that Liz Taylor rode in National Velvet :)

If it is in fall or detriment there is a defect or an injury ? most serious and known about if in detriment; in fall the injury might not be known about.

But this describes the winner, so regardless of how poor the odds, it is expected to win.

To judge the age of the horse, we consider orientality/occidentality and its relationship to the Sun. My astro-software is playing up so I haven?t been able to check this yet, but from what I understand there is a narrow age limit of horses in this race anyway (and yes, male and female horses can enter ? apparently it wasn?t a dumb question though).

To judge the owner (oh, and I was told last night that race colours belong to the owner, not the jockey), you judge by the planet that rules the ascendant. Here it is Venus again so could signify a woman.

I am really just playing here and don?t expect to win but this seems like a bit of fun for a race my husband will be betting on anyway. Ideally I?m looking for a female horse owned by a woman, that is decent but not very well known (Venus in own terms), so it probably won?t have high odds, whilst toying with the symbolism of Venus in Cancer and seeing how that relates to names and colours.

All that will wait until another day, without knowing too much about them, Regime and Lucarno look interesting (palish colours, female horses). But then Aqualeem relates nicely to the Cancer-on-the-MC theme, as does ?Admiralofthefleet?, with a touch of Saturn, almuten of Ascendant in Leo and 10th.

Deb, thanks for this post, I will print it and learn.
I look at names and chart. We have Ve on cusp 10th house, accidently dignified. My vote here goes to horse named "Eastern Anthem". Ve is general in connection with musuc, and Anthem is in conection with own country, key word for Can sign in which Ve is. (The sport kit is blue, of course).
PS.I do this for the first time, so if you bet do not listen to me. This is just my thoughts...
Greetings,
Goca
http://www.astrosport07.webs.com
http://fensi88.livejournal.com/

I thought about that, you might be right, but I can?t see the ?eastern? connection. I haven't made my decision yet but I?m leaning a bit more towards Admiralofthefleet because of Moon in Capricorn opp Mercury in Cancer in the 9th. The logic is a bit playful and creative, but Saturn is a superior planet, so this name keeps pulling my attention. Same here with the betting comment :)

BTW, Amelia - what are the numbers after the names you listed?

Hi Deb!
Your selection Admiralofthefleet is fantastic regarding colours.(blue, Ve and silver and orange Can) More important is that orange sircle because Ve represent devious design. I must admit your selection regarding colours is better that mine.
But, Frawley said that in sport contest accidental dignities is much more important than essential, so on that side I'll go to Ve, not Sa, because Ve is on cusp of 10th house and Sa is in 10th house but in different sign, so i think accidentaly Sa is less power than Ve.

I must admit too, I have no explanation for "eastern" in name of "my" horse.

As you said this is very interesting.
Last edited by Goca on Thu May 24, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings,
Goca
http://www.astrosport07.webs.com
http://fensi88.livejournal.com/