I'm confused about two things!

What exactly constitutes an occidental/oriental planet in a chart. I realize that oriental means "rising before the Sun" and occidental is after.

Since I haven't been doing this long enough to nail it quickly, is there a rule of thumb I should look for, or am I being dense?

Also, how can I tell if a planet is slow or fast in a chart other than the Moon?

I am using Solar Fire by the way.

Thanks!

1) I just mentally turn the chart until the Sun is on the ASC. The planets above the horizon then are oriental, the ones below are occidental. Janus has a traditional module that has a table that notes whether or not a planet is oriental or occidental. Solar Fire has many types of charts with tables and this information may be available there, too. Check the help file. The Janus horary module will tell you if a planet is slow or fast.

2) Solar Fire has a horary view and that gives a table with the speeds of the planets. A plus (+) sign indicates direct motion. A minus (-) sign indicates retrograde motion. You would have to know the average speed or look it up to determine if it is moving rapidly, above average speed, or slowly, below average speed. It is important to note if the planet is increasing or decreasing in speed as well. An ephemeris is helpful in this regard, too.

Tom

Last edited by Tom on Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Occidental=West, Oriental=East. Anything to the West or Left to the Sun is considered Occidental because it is behind the Sun and thus rises after it and anything East or Right to the Sun is considered Oriental (up to 180 degrees) because it is placed after the Sun and thus has risen before it. Toms method is also good, I just skip the step of aligning the Sun with the Ascendant.

For example, Jupiter being in the 3rd House and the Sun in the 5th House, tells us that Jupiter is Oriental because it will rise before the Sun and it is right to the Sun.

As with regards to the speed of the Planets I have the speeds listed on my website here;

http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap2-3.html

Hope that helps!
Aaron Brody
www.antiquus-astrology.com
Antiquus Astrologia