Another question about the hyleg

Hello,

I am student of astrology who's been lurking around the forum for a while, and I have a question for more experienced astrologers.

I am trying to figure out the hyleg in a day chart, and my choice has fallen upon the Sun, as its conditions are not too bad:

in 12th within 2? of the ascendant - hence in the 1st
within 30' Regulus
conjunct Venus
trine Jupiter
in Virgo - hence ruled by Mercury which is very strong in the chart
in its own faces - not peregrine at least

However,

the Sun also rules the 12th.

In the chart, jupiter sometimes acts as an accidental malefic because it rules the 8th. Besides, it's peregrine, retrograde, and square Saturn (opposite Uranus). So it cannot give that much strength to the Sun

Venus is angular, but in fall and retrograde, square Mars (and Neptune).ditto.

Can these conditions disqualify the Sun as hyleg?

I would say no, because apart from its rulership on the 12th the Sun is on the whole well placed and well aspected. The poor zodiacal condition of Venus and Jupiter mostly affects their ability to give further strength to the Sun.

I would not feel comfortable in choosing the Moon for the following reasons:

4? from the POF, but in the 8th
Ruled by the lord of the 8th
in the dignities of Saturn and Mars
opposite the Almudebit (Mercury)

Other possible choices, at this point, would be the POF or the ascendant.

But the POF is in the 8th (opposite Pluto) and it casts a quincunx to the Sun.

And the Sun still looks stronger than the Ascendant.

Hello al Nablusi,

It is difficult to judge without actually seeing a chart, but let me fool about.

Is the Sun in the sign of the Ascendant? If so, I'd take it; if not, no. If not the Sun, is the Moon in the 8th sign from the Ascendant? If it is, I'd probably take the Ascendant.
Gabe

Hello al Nablusi,

That being the case, I'd take the Sun as the Hyleg, knowing that his lordship over Leo and exalted lordship of Aries is going to be a problem for the native, during those times that these images or the Sun will be 'activated', e.g. profections, releasings from Fortune or Spirit, etc.
Gabe

Ideally you also want one of the Sun's dispositors to aspect it and not be afflicted...Ideally.
Venus has rulership in the earth triplicity, though would be combust if conjunct the Sun. Who rules the Sun's terms?
Does Mercury aspect the Sun by sign?
Also, as GR said, is the Sun in the Ascending sign? or just 2deg from the Asc?
and the Moon in the 8th from the Asc is no good-
Western Predictive Astrology by Estebon Duarte Independent Researcher AMA MACAA
Natal Chart & Annual Solar Revolution Reports
www.organic-astrology.com

Might I suggest that in lieu of posting the chart, you post the data. In order to meet the criteria above I think the Sun has to be at about 1 Virgo (within 30' of Regulus in very late Leo), the ASC about 3 Virgo.

Mercury cannot aspect the Sun other than a conjunction (technically not an aspect), which makes him combust unless he is cazimi and/or unless we don't consider a planet in domicile to be combust. Data or the chart would show us all of this.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'd say that, since Mercury is in his own sign and exaltation (and likely his own bounds, if your surmise about the chart is correct), he can't be under the Sun's beams, since he is in his "chariots".
Gabe

I think the Sun works since it's angular (within 5 degrees), in a Hylegical place (the ascendant) and aspects Venus, the triplicity ruler by conjunction.

This CAN get complicated if the Sun or Moon aren't in easy to nail down places, but according to Bonatti, in diurnal charts, the Sun has to be in the 1st, 11th, or 10th houses, can be in either a masculine or feminine sign, and must aspect one of its rulers. If the Sun is in the 7th, 8th or 9th, then it has to be in a masculine sign.

Yours works under those conditions.

Hello al Nablusi,

I also think that you can use sun as Hyleg; that would be like as Regiomontanus and before Alcabitius where working like this.
Also Porphyry would give sun the Hyleg.

Wolfgang