Hi Tom, Mark, and everyone,

And sorry if my previous posts added to the confusion. Let me state again that Morin definitely did not accept solar arc directions, or indeed any form of symbolic motion. Tom is quite right that he would have scorned to use them.

Solar arcs, however, are what Kepler's comments seem to amount to. Morin brings them up only to refute them, in the context of a discussion on various 'keys' used for primary directions. Morin (as Andrew said) rejected a great deal, but he seems to have had it in for Kepler in particular. There is a lovely passage somewhere in AG where Morin quotes Kepler on the subject of the relationship between angels and planets, and goes on to say something to the effect that 'this shows that Kepler understands as little about angels as he does about astrology'. :lol:

On the subject of primary directions, perhaps it will not be out of place to mention that The Wessex Astrologer will publish a full-length book on the subject next years, written for non-mathematicians.

Hello Martin,

I thought your post was clear enough in terms of Morin disagreeing with Kepler here on this technique.

No doubt Kepler's innovations regarding the aspects didn't endear him to Morin either.
On the subject of primary directions, perhaps it will not be out of place to mention that The Wessex Astrologer will publish a full-length book on the subject next years, written for non-mathematicians.
Thats interesting. Do you know who the author is? So far I only have Sepharial's 'Directional Astrology' on the subject. As one of the 'mathematically challenged' this book sounds like it was written for me.
Last edited by Mark on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hello Mark,

I'm afraid I indulged in a bit of self-promotion there. :) I am working on the last few chapters right now. The working title is Primary Directions: Astrology's Old Master Technique(alluding to the term as used in art history).

Hello Martin,
I'm afraid I indulged in a bit of self-promotion there. I am working on the last few chapters right now. The working title is Primary Directions: Astrology's Old Master Technique(alluding to the term as used in art history).

Hardly any need to apologise! This is exciting news. I am sure there is a small army of traditional enthusiasts like myself who would really welcome a book like yours covering the basic groundwork on primary directions. I have always felt it was one of the more elusive areas of the art.

When do you expect your book to be published next year?

I do hope skyscript get a complementary copy so we can see a review on the site next year too. :D

Good luck with your final chapters!

When do you expect your book to be published next year?
No date has been set, but hopefully early in the year.
I do hope skyscript get a complementary copy so we can see a review on the site next year too.
I shall talk to the publisher about it. :) Thanks for your good wishes!

MarkC wrote:... I do intend to get Rumen Kolev's books and his software (when my ship comes in!)
Don't forget that my free program does Placidus mundo and zodiacal directions using Rumen's formulations:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6qirr/myindex.html

His program is of course much more flexible and covers many other kinds of primaries. But for the ones mine does, the results are the same as his.
...It seems hard to deny that the definition of Kepler's technique, as described by Morin, exactly matches the modern approach to solar arcs?
From what I've read as translation on this thread so far, I have to agree with you. But I haven't read Morin directly.

- Ed

Hello Ed,

Thanks for that. I was aware of your free programme but I haven't had my own internet provider for a while so been just logging in from work and at friends. However, once I sort this out I will definitely download your free programme. Its very nice of you to share this with others.

Rumen Kolev's programme does look the flagship of primary directions software but it is very expensive.

I do think its a pity that the recently updated version of solar fire didn't include anything on primary directions. I would have thought this would have been the most in demand upgrade amongst traditionalists.

More than anything though I want to spend time understanding the principles of primary directions before I start using any software. Hence I look forward to Martin's book very much. In the meantime I will probably see how I get on with Rumen Kolev's books. Which one would you suggest I start with?

Mark,

Actually, I've heard that SF6 does provide some form of primary directions. The question, though, is what flavor? As you can see even from this thread, sometimes terminology is used differently (and even in the opposite sense, eg converse vs direct) by different writers. So you could have an explanation in the program's documentation and still not know for certain what they're doing. I think one of the greatest contributions of Rumen's booklets is his "rationalization" of the terminology and notation for listing directions.

His two main booklets are Primary DIrections I & II, which I would read in that order. I have his third one, but don't remember the specific contents. It's optional and can be ready afterwards. The main booklets are inexpensive, something like US$15 each.

- Ed

Regarding software, Solar Fire does Placidean primary directions, but only in mundo (no zodiacal aspects). Kolev's program is much more versatile, but unfortunately also bug-ridden and very user-unfriendly. (My book on primary directions will contain software reviews.)

His two main booklets are Primary DIrections I & II, which I would read in that order. I have his third one, but don't remember the specific contents. It's optional and can be ready afterwards. The main booklets are inexpensive, something like US$15 each
Thanks Ed.

I decided to go all out and order all of Rumen Kolev's books on Primary Directions from the Astrology Center of America. These are:

1 Primary Directions I

2 Primary Directions II

3 Primary Directions of Regiomontanus and William Lilly

Hopefully, these will help me to be better informed before I use your software!

Mark