Hayz gives a little added strength, so if we needed to make a choice between planets, and they were equal in all respects and one was in Hayz and other not, we might go with the one in hayz. I would not place great significance on it.

I'm drawing a blank on contention though.

Tom

"Contention" is the opposite of Hayyiz, and ibn Ezra mentions it in the Beginnings of Wisdom. It is a planet out of halb, its sect's hemisphere, and also in a sign contrary to its gender preference: a diurnal planet above the horizon in a female sign by night, or below the horizon by day; or, a female planet in a male sign above the horizon by day, or below the horizon by night. So far so good, but then we have mars, venus and mercury...
mars is in contention in a female sign, whilst above the horizon by day, or below it by night. mars is a masculine planet tempered and optimised by the cool of night.
Mercury and venus are rarely far enough from the sun to be in halb, so are deemed masculinised when oriental and feminised when occidental. This is then strengthened or diminished by the gender of the sign.
As i'm away from my notes i couldn't tell you exactly what epithet ibn Ezra attaches to this condition, but i'm damn sure its pithy and bizarre.

(am i wrong about mars in a feminine sign? i'm working a night shift and my head's caving in!)

The contention

Could we have a quick revision on the contention? It appears that the contention is not the opposite to hayiz and halb as I assumed. The interpretation provided above would concern a planet out of both hayiz and halb. It appears that the definition of the contention is something else.

Al-Biruni appears to refer to it as a sort of reception of disposition which runs across the boundaries of sect. It occurs when a planet is located in a sign belonging to a planet of the opposite sect, the second planet - which is disposer of the first - is located in the sect of the first.
Al-Biruni, verse 497: Contention is nearly the reverse of hayiz and occurs when a diurnal planet is in the domicile of a nocturnal one, and the latter is in the domicile of a diurnal one; or when a nocturnal planet is in the domicile of a diurnal one, and the latter is in the domicile of a nocturnal one.
The examples provided are:
1) Saturn (of the diurnal sect) in Aries (ruled by Mars of the nocturnal sect) with Mars in Pisces (ruled by Jupiter of the diurnal sect)
2) Mars (of the nocturnal sect) in Pisces (ruled by Jupiter of the diurnal sect) with Jupiter in Taurus (ruled by Venus of the nocturnal sect).

I am not quite settled, at present, whether the contention is a lesser dignity that reflects a state of content, or whether it involves a struggle. Either way it seems to facilitate the function of the planet that is disposed by a planet of the opposite sect but that is located in the sect of the first.
http://www.astronor.com

Contention, haziz and halb

This subject fascinates me. Lilly says on pg 113 of Christian Astrology that hayiz shows the content of the querent at the time of the question. But then Lilly's pen appears to slip and the correct definition of Hayiz is found in Al-Biruni:
When a diurnal planet is above the groud by day and below it by night, or a nocturnal planet above the ground by night and below it by day, then it is said to be in its halb. When in addition to this the masculine planet is in a masculine sign or a feminine planet is in a feminine sign, then the planet is said to be in its hayiz.
But following Lilly's thoughts on the hayiz it would appear that 'the contention' was a condition that allowed the significator to perform 'as if it was in hayiz'.

Halb: Al-Biruni says that 'a planet under the horizon during its own period is without influence. Bonatus agrees that such a planet can scarely accomplish what he signifies. I interpret this to mean that such a planet has no say on the manner of affairs, but simply has to stay with the drift.

The planet which is in a 'contention' appears to get along because there is line of supply. The significator is would appear to be "off-shift", as it were, but still enjoys all privileges and rights.
Last edited by Andrew Bevan on Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Al Biruni, The Book of Instruction, page 83, [497]:

"Contention. Munakara (contention) is nearly the reverse of hayyiz and occurs when a diurnal planet is in the domicile of a nocturnal one, and the latter is in the domicile of a diurnal planet; or when a nocturnal planet is in the domicile of a diurnale one, and the latter is in the domicile of a nocturnal planet."
[Footnote] "E.g. Saturn in Aries and Mars in Pisces or Mars in Pisces and Jupiter in Taurus."

A very clear definition, but I didn't find yet its evaluation by Al Biruni. Should not be very positive, I suppose.

Johannes

Contention: ...when a diurnal planet is in the domicile of a nocturnal one, and the latter is in the domicile of a diurnal planet; or when a nocturnal planet is in the domicile of a diurnale one, and the latter is in the domicile of a nocturnal planet. "E.g. Saturn in Aries and Mars in Pisces or Mars in Pisces and Jupiter in Taurus."
I can't quite get hold of the word and meaning. Is it like a minor reception and the smoking of a 'Peace Pipe'? Or does it mean something contrary, unsupported and the 'spilling of the wagon'? Does the contention represent an 'obstinate' situation?

I find it difficult to describe the contention as almost opposite to the hayiz, because the hayiz does not involve a chain relationship between planets as is the case with the contention. I also thought that if Saturn, a masculine planet, was in Aries, a masculine sign and either above the horizon by day or below the horizon by night - then Saturn would be termed as in his own 'hayiz' or 'hayz'. :???:

Andrew Bevan wrote: . . . Saturn would be termed as in his own 'hayiz' or 'hayz'. :???
I can offer a third diction: "hayyiz". And no mistake in writing
on my part in my original quotation above!
Andrew Bevan wrote:
Does the contention represent an 'obstinate' situation?
"Contention being nearly the reverse of hayyiz and occurs . . . "

Perhaps could this mean the reverse in effect?
Johannes

johannes susato wrote:"Contention being nearly the reverse of hayyiz . . . "
- Perhaps could this mean the reverse in effect?
Well, to examine something which is close to opposite the hayiz:
Al Birmumi wrote:A planet which is under the horizon during it's own period is without influence.
And then from Bonatus:
Consider whether the significator be in his light or not; That is a diurnal planet in the day above the earth, and in the night under it; and a nocturnal planet in the night above the earth, and in the day under it: For this renders such a planet more strong. But if a nocturnal planet be significator of anything in the day above the earth, or a diurnal planet in the night, the same is thereby weakened and under a kind of impediment so that he scarcely can accomplish what he signifies.
I'm not sure whether that gives us any leads regarding the hayiz or contention. The contention appears to be a celestial combination. The hayiz depends upon whether a planet is accidentally in its own light or not.
The hayiz follows gender, ie. a masculine planet in a masculine sign. The contention does not follow gender but 'sect', ie. a diurnal planet in sign belonging to a nocturnal planet. These are combinations of a completely different chemistry.

I am wondering whether the contention is a state of discomfort or a 'grudge'. The significator says 'I'm not liking this', and the dispositor replies "Well neither am I.. !"
Last edited by Andrew Bevan on Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Examples of Contention:
Wow! This really takes some working out, particularly when Mercury is involved.

Saturn in Virgo: Saturn is diurnal by sect. There will be contention when Mercury performs as a nocturnal planet, ie. is vespertine/occidental, and Mercury at the same time is located in the sign of a diurnal planet. This will not occur again before Mercury enters the sign of Leo on July 18. 2009 and ends upon Mercury's departure on August 2. I.e. Mercury is within that period nocturnal, having consequence on Saturn, and is himself located in the sign of a diurnal. :shock:

Jupiter, who is diurnal by sect, will not be in contention before he enters the sign of Aries, ruled by noctural Mars, on June 6. 2010. Seeing that Mars is in Virgo, ruled by Mercury, Jupiter will not be in contention before Mercury is nocturnal after the latter's superior conjunction with the Sun on June 28. Prior to this Mercury will be oriental and diurnal. Then contention will last as Mars enters Libra, ruled by nocturnal Venus, on July 30. 2010 - until Jupiter re-enters Pisces on September 9. :-? :???:

Mars is nocturnal, is currently moving through Aries and will not reach the domicile of a diurnal planet before entering Leo on October 16. 2009. He will then be in contention for some while since the Sun moves through the signs Libra and Scorpio belonging to nocturnal Venus and Mars. However, Mars will not have been in contention when passing through Gemini, July 20.- August 25., because Mercury is at that point of time occidental and nocturnal. :-sk