At times like this I hit a wall. I?m getting that gnawing feeling that this can?t ? or shouldn?t ? be all that important. I love astrology, but when it gets twisted around and convoluted in cases like these, with all its strange ?this and thats?, I get the feeling that modern astrology did well to drop elements of it. It?s possible to focus on the system more than on what the system is meant to do. We can spend years with all this, but is it time well spent? Does it really add to accurate delineation? Maybe I?m foolish to question it. But maybe I?m on to something.

Can someone tell me why Mars is dignified in Scopio - a water, sign - wet and cold, while Mars is a fiery planet, whereas the Moon is in its fall in Scorpio even though Scorpio is a water sign like Pisces & cancer ?
The original question has an answer that's been missed in amongst all the minutia. The answer is in that great chart that in the even better introductory article on this very web site. Take a look at this chart because the answer is all there.
Planets Ruling Signs.

Though what Steven brings up about how planets fare in the 12th house from their sign is interesting, I wouldn't say that this position is part of the main canon of traditional technique. It seems to be a secondary factor, or one that's not used by the majority. As Tom says, Saturn in Capricorn is in the 12th from it's other sign of Aquarius. As far as the Moon in Gemini, peregrine is peregrine and that's all we need to interpret the chart.

The fundamentals of what planets rule what sign, and thereby also in what signs they have their detriments can all be explained by that chart I cited above. The exaltations and falls such as the the Moon in Scorpio are of a different origin.

Traditional astrology is a system and a coherent one at that. This chart is neither complicated nor convoluted.
Mark F

MarkF wrote:
Can someone tell me why Mars is dignified in Scopio - a water, sign - wet and cold, while Mars is a fiery planet, whereas the Moon is in its fall in Scorpio even though Scorpio is a water sign like Pisces & cancer ?
The original question has an answer that's been missed in amongst all the minutia. The answer is in that great chart that in the even better introductory article on this very web site. Take a look at this chart because the answer is all there.
Planets Ruling Signs.

Though what Steven brings up about how planets fare in the 12th house from their sign is interesting, I wouldn't say that this position is part of the main canon of traditional technique. It seems to be a secondary factor, or one that's not used by the majority. As Tom says, Saturn in Capricorn is in the 12th from it's other sign of Aquarius. As far as the Moon in Gemini, peregrine is peregrine and that's all we need to interpret the chart.

The fundamentals of what planets rule what sign, and thereby also in what signs they have their detriments can all be explained by that chart I cited above. The exaltations and falls such as the the Moon in Scorpio are of a different origin.

Traditional astrology is a system and a coherent one at that. This chart is neither complicated nor convoluted.
Hi Mark F:

Thanks for the reference. It was very helpful.

RC