McCormacks fight to grant astrology scientific respecability

Hello Phillip,

The 1917 yearbook contains an example of Certificate of Fellowship which states the first meeting was held on January 14, 1916 at 7:15 P.M. in New York. Below the table of contents the address is listed as 711 W. 180th Street.
The certificate example certificate is signed by John Hazelrigg and George J. McCormack who was one of the co-founders and secretary of the academy.
7+2= 9 and 2 goes into 18, 9 times.

In 1966, Joseph F. Goodavage wrote a book called Astrology: The Space Age Science. In his chapter on numerology he says the following:

Quote:
In the monthly bulletin of the New Jersey Astrologians Association, editor George J. McCormack published many series of cosmological cycles, all of which equate to the number 9- and to man. ?The added digits of various cosmic cycles? he wrote in the November, 1958 issue of ASTROTECH, ?when reduced to 9 show a striking relationship between macrocosmic and microcosmic cycles. The Grand Year of equinoctial precession, 25, 920 years, equates to 18 or 9. The 360 degrees of the Zodiac and of terrestrial longitude also equate to 9. Whether you add all the minutes in a day (1,440) or all the seconds (86, 400), the digits always add to nine.

In the forward of the 1917 yearbook, Hazelrigg states that the group limited member ship to 30 based on an interpretation of the Kabala.

I?ve only glanced at 1917, 1918 yearbooks which I found at the Davis Special Collections library at the University of California Santa Barbara branch and I?ve made some copies of some of the drawings and advertisements in the back of the books. I?ve read that Ballantine reprints sells these books and I know that the U.S. Library of Congress has a copy of the 1916 yearbook. I?m not aware of any other publications by the academy.

Also in the same book, in the author?s acknowledgments Goodavage says this:

Quote:
Yet it was largely though the efforts of John W. Campbell, editor of ANOLOG, and George J. McCormack, editor of ASTROTECH, that I was exposed to a finely discriminating scientific application of astrology.

In 1978, Goodavage wrote a book called Our Threatened Planet which he dedicated to the memory of George J. McCormack. Here are a few excerpts?

Quote:
When he was editor of Analog (Science Fiction-Science fact) magazine, John W. Campbell suggested a "put up or shut up" department called (Crucial Experiment) to prove by prediction, if possible, whether nationwide weather could be determined on a long-range basis for six consecutive months.

Also-

Quote:
It took the combined efforts of Senators Jacob Javits and Kenneth Keating, then Sen. Robert F. Kennedy to twist enough arms and bring enough political pressure to bear on the chief of the U.S. Weather Bureau to set up a special seminar in the New York offices. McCormack presented the results of his life's work to the government. To say that the weather bureaucrats unwillingly complied with their orders, and in a cold, unfriendly manner, is an understatement. They were downright hostile.

Note- In George?s book, Long Range Astro-Weather Forecasting, self-published in 1965 and available at Sacred Science Institute, G.J. McCormack, affect atonally known as Gee-Jay by his friends states that the date of the seminar as October 3, 1963. In 1963, Robert F. Kennedy was the Attorney General. Also, in the same book, Goodavage references an article by G.J. McCormack from the 1917 yearbook called; Some Weather Fundimentals.

Also, Dr. George Winslow Plummer was a member of the academy and the found of the Society of Rosicrucians in America. He established the publication, Mercury which he describes as the offical organ of both the S.R.I.A. and the academy as well. In the 1933 edition, on the topic of weather he references C.G. Abbott, the head of the Smithsonian Institute from 1928-1944. In in Our Threatened Planet, Goodavage states that Abbott was an astro-meteorologist but was unable to get his papers published in America so he had them published in Europe.

According to JSOR, early academy members contributed to the early publication of ISIS, the annual publication put out by the History of Science Society. ISIS was edited by the head of the Smithsonian from 1963-1978. So, in closing I can say that I don?t know who the doctor was but as Tom mentioned in reference to the lawyer when he said, "if he existed at all", I would suggest that he did.

Also, I?m hoping you look into G.J. McCormack?s Fight to grant astro-meteorology scientific respectability. I have some very good information if your interested.

Also, I?m half tempted to agree with your wife?s opinon of Hazelrigg?s writing style. Keep in mind he was class poet when he graduated Perdue University and went to New York to become a stage actor. That being said, I'll be the first too agree with Tom's desription of this text as "painfull".

I?ve decided to commit a few paragraphs to memory so that this way the next time I get called on to speak at Alcoholics anonymous I?ll finally be able to explain how I wound up in this situation in the first place. And one last thing. In America, a baseball player named Ted Williams was the first athlete to admit publiclly that he could see the baseball appear as if it was moving in slow motion. The number on his jersey was 9.

Ed Jacobsen, Jr.