Hello Philip,
Thank you. I appreciate you excellent reply and thank you for telling me about your excelent 'Primum Mobile' strand. I enjoy the intrigue and the details are of great assistance to me.

Sorry it?s taken me so long to share this but, in in response to your original post pertaining to academic respectability, Goodavage says the following in his book; Write Your Own Horoscope:
Two founders of the American Federation of Astrologers, John Hazelrigg and G.J. McCormack, were successful in getting a fair description of astrology into the New International Encyclopedia in the 1940s?
Perhaps this is an exact example of Hazelrigg?s effort to gain academy respectability.

I?d like to mention something I?m working on at the moment. At the end of the encyclopedia definition, Hazelrigg and McCormack mention that Louis De Wohl visited the Pentagon and gave them an astrological forecast on the invasions of North Africa and Sicily. I?ve read some posts that claim that Louis De Wohl visited with the American Federation of Scientific Astrologers during WWII but I?m not sure how accurate they are. I was wondering if you might have any information on his visits to the A.F.S.A. or any information and the A.F.S.A. at all.

A part of the reason I mention this is that in an online article titled; Freak Weather and Floods, McCormack states he was a former president of the A.F.S.A. and Dr. George W. Plummer is listed as a former member of the A.F.S.A. and the academy on the S.R.I.A. site. Recently I visited the special collections library at the University of California, Santa Barbara branch where they have copies of the 1917-1918 yearbooks which I?ve already made notes of. Also, they have some sort of journals on file from the A.F.S.A. and so I?m getting ready to take another trip to visit these. I?ll share whatever I find and after I?ll be heading to Washington, D.C. where I?ll continue the search.

I?m not surprised you found the Body Electric and at such an early age. A part of the reason I mentioned Becker and Persinger is because Goodavage was writing about them long before they proved their theories. He was a very accurate visionary. I think he very much states what McCormack knew in 1963 when he addressed the U.S. Weather Bureau but was unable to prove because he lacked the neurological technology. Unfortunately the USWB was unable to take that leap of faith you mentioned.

Also, I?ve head brief mention of the Adams case but it was a very long time ago. I?ve never looked into the details personally so, I don?t can say what, if any involvement Hazelrigg might have had. I only know that recently I came across the two references to Adams which I shared. Hopefully I?ll get to read about the trial soon and see if Hazelrigg get?s any specific mention.

Thank you again for your excellent insights. Ed.

Just a somewhat anal remark, but wouldnt' it be mroe accurate to say, to return astrology to accademic stature or re-grant or something of that nature? it was the foundation of education fo so many centuries that somehow the title made me wince a bit... okay just a thought...

Granny

What price academic respectability when so much of the contemporary product is intellectually constrained by those who pay the pipers?

Whether one looks at specifically at science, which sorely lacks the diversity of explanatory narratives advocated by Feyerabend, or at the humanities, whose product is either "soft science" or "understanding" (ie not science), but whose status as second best to (hard) science condemns it graze for the foreseeable future on the "unverifiable" side of the logical positivist fence, with everything that that entails in terms of (quasi-)explanations and (pseudo-)justifications - is that really the ne plus ultra to aspire to? Would it not be like catching the fish but having it slip through ones fingers at the last moment?

Is not the hunger for academic respectability not a real need, but a glamour as described by A. Bailey, and one to be dispelled? What do you propose to say to your students when you have ascended to Parnassus - say as I say? or seek the truth even if it means consigning the present to dust?

And why should that in any way change anything. Society in the whole will continue to gain from endeavours in no way connected with academia, so why should astrology suddenly be different. Or perhaps you really seek to influence the exercise of political power and thereby acquire your fraction of it?