Bonatus' 144th consideration?? (help please)

Does anyone know how to properly calculate Bonati's 144th consideration? I am having trouble understanding what he means and how to calculate it. "Place of the Lord of Asc. ... place of the lord of the house of the moon, add the degree of the sign ascending, etc., :-?

For example: For a chart where
Asc is 22:37 Sag.,
Jupiter is in 12th house 10:09 Sag. (Retro),
with Moon in 12th as well, conjoined (2' sep) at 12:58 Sag.,
Pluto, ruler of 12th in 1st just passed Asc. at 26:45 Sag. and retro
(and Mars in 5th Hs. Taurus 12:58 ). Scorpio rules 12th house.

RC

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We take the distance, in the order of the signs between Lord ASC and Lord of the sign of the Moon, and then add to that the degree of the Ascending sign. Take this total number of degrees and add it to the ASC. Which ever sign that falls in, the lord is the significator you're seeking.

In your example there is no distance between Lord ASC and Lord of the Moon (they are the same). So I guess we add 22 degrees 37 minutes to the ASC. Which put the point at about 14 Capricorn, so Saturn is the significator. I think. Perhaps Steven will catch this and explain it better.

Tom

My thanks to Tom and Steven for helping with this.

I will have to print this and re-read and try to work it out and see how you got this Steven and hope I'll understand it but Mercury ruling this makes a lot of sense and fits this question.

I have the worst time understanding Bonatti! He sometimes says Lord of "the place of the Lord of the Asc." and then when talking of the Moon, he says "place of the Lord OF THE HOUSE OF the Moon".

I therefore wasn't sure if he meant to look at the Lord that ruled the HOUSE where the moon fell, which in this case was confusing because the moon fell in the 12th house which in this chart is ruled by Scorpio but the Moon and Jupiter fall in the next sign of Sag. which is also Asc. I therefore wasn't sure whether to take Mars (or Pluto) for the house ruler or Jupiter!

So when he states the place of the Lord of the House of X, he is always speaking of the ruler/Lord of X, not where X falls?

Thanks a lot,

RC

Hi Folks,

The confusion in Bonatti's text comes from the fact that he is trying to make the calculations easier--but it reads more awkwardly than he wants. The calculation is simply this: count the degrees from the Lord of the Ascendant to the Lord of the domicile (sign) of the Moon, going forward in the order of signs. Then project this distance from the degree of the Ascendant. Whatever planet rules the resulting sign, is the significator you want.

I hesitate to put it in algebraic form, because it confuses me (maybe I'm just too medieval!), but here it is:

Lord of Moon's domicile - Lord of ASC + Degree of ASC

Ben
www.bendykes.com
Traditional Astrology Texts and Teaching