Should we tolerate 'one planet conjuncts another?'

Yes
Total votes: 19 (56%)
No
Total votes: 15 (44%)
Total votes: 34

Do any of you experience a peculiar curling of the toes when you hear that one planet conjuncts another? Are any of you past the stage of whispering the correct conjoins and now find yourself screaming it?
I agree. Conjunct is an adjective. How hard is it to throw in a little verb like "is" or "are" or "will"?

Conjuncts and Conjuncting are wrong. Conjunct is a descriptive term, describing the state of something. You can't simply throw an -ing or an -s to make it an action. It's sloppy English.

Incorrect: Venus conjuncts Jupiter.

Correct: Venus is conjunct Jupiter.
Variations: Venus will be conjunct with Jupiter, Venus is conjunct Jupiter, Venus and Jupiter are conjunct, etc.

I stand with you Kirk!

P.S. - I heard a NBC news anchor on TV the other day say they were "efforting" to bring me more information on a story. An anchor.

Deb,

For a bleak moment I almost gave in to the forces of darkness, .. :idea: .. but your post and its barely concealed underlying tone of despair and surrender inspired me to continue the battle. After all, those busy astrologers will still be arguing anyway.:neutral:

For out of respect for astrology?s long-standing and deep connection to Western thought and civilization standards of excellence must be kept strongly in place. SaturnReturn, Keren and I will conjoin and fearlessly face Christina?s advancing unwashed horde :!:

Kirk,

Not to worry about the ?unwashed? - there are no plebes on this wave.

SaturnReturn
Conjunct is a descriptive term, describing the state of something. You can't simply throw an -ing or an -s to make it an action.
Synonyms for conjunct do exactly what you describe: joined, conjoined, shared, merged, united, combined. Drop -ed or change it to ?ing or ?s and they become appropriate verbs. The context is academic terminology, which is very different from the context of general language usage. If the context were general usage, I would agree. Btw, the NBC news anchor?s use of "efforting" may have been correct because effort is also a verb. At least, it was a verb as recently as William Lilly?s day. The anchors seem to have resurrected it from obsolescence to indicate a stronger effort than trying.

If anyone can point out some astrological meaning, function or understanding that is lost or altered unfavorably, then I will hasten to reconsider my position on the use of conjunct as a verb (any Uranus-ing of Aquarius does not count). Astrological conjunctions are dynamic (of or relating to energy or to objects in motion - active). The heavenly bodies and points related are in motion. Imo, even more reason for a verb form.

It is curious that sextile is not a verb but trine is a verb.

Christina

Btw, the NBC news anchor?s use of "efforting" may have been correct because effort is also a verb.
From Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: ef?fort
Pronunciation: 'e-f&rt, -"fort
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, from Old French esforz, esfort, from esforcier to force, from ex- + forcier to force

Although the etymology suggests that it was once a verb, just not in English.
There is no entry for "efforting" - thank god.

Fight on Brothers! THIS IS SKYSCRIPT!
*Cue techno music and slow-motion*
*Kicks Christina's emissary into a pit*

:D

Well I can't decide anymore. I started off agreeing with Kirk, but the unwashed Christina has made some good points. I don't think I've ever said one planet conjuncts another, but I have said one planet trines another, or one planet sextiles another, which I suppose is equally incorrect.

And here's something else to make Kirk's toes curl. I have always wondered why you can say "antiquity" but not "uniquity"...after all, antique and unique are very similar. Antiqueness sounds completely wrong but uniquity rings well.

I'm really putting my neck on the line here as one of the unwashed
Tracey

Oxford English Dictionary (OED) cites effort as a verb, ?to strengthen, fortify?.
1662 Fuller Worthies (1840) He efforted his spirits with the remembrance?of what formerly he had been. (OED)
I did not say it was correct, only that it ?may be correct?. It is definitely an English word but fell into obsolescence until reporters resurrected it. There is no need to go postal - especially conjoined as you are with others it could start a cyber riot. You are on the Imperialist linguistics team. Riot starts are for the Plebes.

Deb,

Skyscript members can always bank on your candor and fair judgment. :) I refer to sharing your past usage of sextile and trine. It is a puzzle how only one of the two is a verb.

Thank you for setting up a poll. I find it a helpful leveler.