Research into the random

I propose we agree upon or discuss criteria that could provide time windows that would allow us to perform experiments into the coincidental, elsewise termed as random phenomena.

I.e.
Does the throw of a dice perform differently in the hour of Mars with Moon in Aries, than in the hour of Venus and the Moon in Libra?
Do Gemini's score higher as the Moon transits through their sign or is in application to Mercury?

How would you set about composing your experiment?
http://www.astronor.com

Something that I did think about, but never put into semi-practice.

Cancer is on my 5th, so a lunar return every 28.whatever days I bought a scratchcard. Just based on the lunar returns (I lose count) but 6 in a row so far have been winners. Not done at the exact time of the return, but close enough. All 1st time winners too, but only ?1 or ?2.

I suppose a coin toss would limit the outcome, but not sure what to look for in that.

There is the question whether test results have personal or impersonal significance. Your observations seem to have relevance to the details of your personal chart. We should get someone to repeat the basic conditions you describe.

Moon in Gemini applying by aspect to Mercury, or in Capricorn applying to a Saturn - may also give some impersonal effects that could be isolated to the planetary signification.
Last edited by Andrew Bevan on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.astronor.com

Interesting question. There are a number of intervening factors as you note.

The problem with such subtle, ambient influences, for lack of a better term, is that they are going to be tiny at best. The Consciousness Project at Princeton found variance in random number generators at extremely small rates -- less than 1 out of 1000 IIRC.

Finding perfectly symmetrical dice would be a larger source of error.

The other problem is there would no clear astrologically informed hypothesis about what we might expect. Why would dice through when the Moon is in different signs, etc produce more 6s or 7s? That's no reason not to conduct the experiment of course, but it would make more sense to look at similarly objective outcomes that had some theoretical correlation with the extant theory: eg. do more car accidents occur when Moon is in Aries.
www.modernvedicastrology.com

An intersting topic, I'm not quite sure if I am following the the thoughts of the contributors properly.

At what level of detail are we looking at?

There is the astrological indicator and the event.

Should the indicator be as broad as does event x occur when moon is in aries. If so, it would need to be a mundane event rather than something that is influenced by a personal chart.

Should the indicator be much more refined, for example Day of Mars, Hour of Mars, Aries or Capricorn rising. This provides narrow time slots and different time slots geographically.

The other issue is the event. There must be plenty of "coincidences" that we observe and wonder if there is any astrological connection. I'm not sure if I have any strong suggestions for an event.
As we are on a sporting forum I've always wondered why certain greyhound numbers are grouped together at different times, for example why trap 1 wins 3 times in a row at a certain time frame and at a specific location. Also, when I'm sat watching the live football results on a saturday afternoon why clusters of goals appear to occur at certain times or why there is a cluster of sending offs across the country at a certain time.

I'm sure others could think of something else, it would need to be easily monitored, non-personal and the data readily available.

Am I straying away from what was originally considered?

Regards,

John

Andrew,

My intial thoughts are that we either-

Chose an event that repeats and seek to identify the astrological significator/s. Using my examples, when football players get sent off or when trap 1 of the greyhounds wins 3 times in a row. Any other suggestions would be useful.

or

We pick an astrological significator, as indicated in my last post. This would either have to be a broad indicator-eg moon in aries, or a narrow one such as mars day, mars hour, term of mars rising, etc, etc and 'observe'.

I'm not quite sure what we would be looking for if we took this second method, it would require quite a few people being 'on alert' at specified times and feeding back any observations.

The first approach could be sporting, it could also be other things such as motorway accidents or a specific volcano erupting, etc.

The data and time need to accessible, it would easier if mundane aspects/events were observed rather than bringing in factors such as a country's/individual natal chart. If the first approach was taken then there is an availaibility of data on the internet for earthquakes, volcanoes, etc were past events can be considered.

I hope I'm keeping this within the remit you first envisaged.

Regards,
John