This is just a wild guess. I am wondering if his Moon's North Node could be conjunct his Midheaven. That would be a fame aspect. It would put his Sun on his IC, the king of his homeland.

There is a pattern of Sun opposition Moon's North Node, that is 22.5 degrees to Mercury. The Moon's North Node 22.5 degrees to Mercury could have a potentially sociopathic tinge, and why I think this aspects the chart angles is because it is playing out on the world stage.

Transiting Jupiter has just squared his Mercury, but that is just the proximate trigger of a much bigger transit. Transiting IsisTranspluto is conjunct his Moon's North Node in Virgo. I am wondering if this is also where his Midheaven is.

Maybe something like this. Maybe just slightly later, putting the Ascendant/Midheaven midpoint about 22 degrees Libra, squaring IsisTranspluto, and being hit by transiting Pluto in Libra when Zimbabwe became independent in 1980?

If his Ascendant is about 12 degrees Sagittarius, then in 1980 when he was 56, its Solar Arc would be about 8 degrees Aquarius, conjunct his natal Mercury.

Thanks for putting this up James. I saw the ceremony live myself yesterday. Swearing in started at 11.42 and finished around 11.44 with him signing his name to become President.

Never looks good when the Moon symbolizing the people is stuck in the 12th house. Not sure he is actually worse than Mugabe. Mugabe had such a terrible record its an exceptionally hard act to follow. I think I agree with Marjorie Orr on this. More of the same. I cant see him embracing democracy or political pluralism. But he might at least improve the economic situation of the country and generate more jobs for the average Zimbabweian. There is a heavy 9th house emphasis in innaguratation chart with Jupiter in Scorpio ruling the 1st and 10th house. On a positive interpretation this could indicate more foreign trade and investment. Although as with much of sub-Saharan Africa corruption is the major obstacle to wealth creation.

Mugabe destroyed the economy and turned 'the bread basket' of southern Africa into an economic disaster with 90% unemployment. He presided over ethnic genocide, systematic torture and murder of political opponents. He and his cronies indulged in corruption on a massive scale, and turned a democratic constitution into a brutal one party state. Unlike Nelson Mandela who brought together people of all races Mugabe indulged in a racist vendetta against White farmers and made blatant homophobia state policy. All of this led to International ostracism of the country and economic sanctions.

Incidentally, I really think this thread has had its day. Well overtime for a new thread on Zimbabwe!

Mark
As thou conversest with the heavens, so instruct and inform thy minde according to the image of Divinity William Lilly

mark,

i agree.. i had thought of starting a new thread on zimbabwe, but thought it was an entertaining revisit given the statement - 'why is he still around' post in 2003!

the jupiter in scorpio in the 9th as ruler of the 1st does seem more positive.. then there is moon in the 12th, but it is applying directly to the ascendant/midheaven ruler as well.. on the surface that looks positive.. however, this new leader was around for most all of what mugabe is apparently responsible for - he was his advisor and must have been involved in many of the problems that have been articulated already.. jupiter in scorpio certainly would seem like opening the country up to foreign investment - whatever that might mean these days.. and mercury is exact 45 this jupiter as well, so all roads seem to point to the importance of jupiter in scorpio here...

i look at the mars/pluto square with the sun/midheaven close to it's midpoint and i feel that more strong-arm or worse tactics will continue.. a new set of individuals will be given the keys to reap the resource base of zimbabwe.. neptune rising is a good cover for it all too..incidentally it looks as though neptune is close to stationary direct, although i can't quite tell with my bastardized version of solar fire.. that would place greater emphasis on neptune from yet another angle..