Mystery Chart No. 12

Things have been quiet here so let's look at this one.

Male
September 2, 1952
10:30 AM CDT + 5 Hrs.
East Saint Louis, Illinois, USA
38 N 37' 28"
90 W 09' 03"
27 Libra 28 rises.

I'm particularly interested in anyone's thoughts on the Mercury Moon opposition that is on the nodal axis.

Enjoy,

Tom

Hi Tom, first of all thanks for all this mystery charts - I find the idea great and it helps me a lot reading different takes on the same thing.

And while I feel like complete newbie compared to most other people posting here I am glad I can post today first - usually I just have the feeling like there is not much I could add. :D .

Mercury - Moon opposition.
While Mercury is in Leo, liking to have his thoughts, communication and all that, grandious and kingly, Moon is in Aquarius, which makes the feelings impulsive, out of the sudden, uncontrolled. I think this may lead to the mystery man having troubles in acknowledging his own feeling, because he may just not like them being so sudden, uncontrolable. Maybe he may try to repress them or to laugh out feelings in general. Maybe through his work, having the excuse of being adult enough not to be moved by feelings anymore.
From other side Nodal axis probably brings the positive feedback - whatever happens because of feelings, mystery man will think about it, learn from it and so evolve himself thanks to his feelings, no matter how hard he may find them (to express).
The whole feelings/thinking conflict is even more interesting as there are no planets in water element. So I guess the mystery man will make up for the feelings he would not like to show by engaging himself in activities of houses where water signs, especially then Cancer as sign ruled by Moon are - so philosophy or higher learning, creativity and some values. Philosophy feels to me as best fit, as many ways put emphasis on controlling emotions and feelings - which is exactly what mystery man probably would like to do. And while he has the Mercury in 10th house of profession, maybe he would even turn it in his job - being priest, teacher, councellor in fields like ethic or relationships, or maybe poker player, as they too have to master their emotions :-).

I did not looked at any other part of the chart yet, just on this opposition and just tried to throw my 2 pences worth in :D . Looking forward to read all other posts too :-)

Hi Tom,

Another mystery chart ? jolly good!
I'm particularly interested in anyone's thoughts on the Mercury Moon opposition that is on the nodal axis.
A quick look at some technical info regards the Moon-Mercury:

The angular Moon is extremely fast, moving over 15 degrees that day. Mercury, even though it stationed direct only 10 days earlier, in a very short time quickened its pace to 1 degree 20 minutes, outpacing Venus (Lord 1) at 1 degree 13 minutes.

Mercury continues to gain speed reaching its max for this cycle at 1 degree 50 minutes when he is approximately 18 years old (secondary progression). There would be some Mercury peak/event/honor around that time (10th house) and is augmented by the fast Moon.

The natal combo of very fast Moon with fast Mercury and Venus inclines towards being emotionally outspoken, often rash and impulsive (possibly fool hardy, but he is no fool) as the emotions race ahead of the rational. The Jupiter square adds a bold confidence, the Saturn trine is steadying. The good receptions add positiveness to the expression.

Mercury in Leo 10th house, he likes an audience. Shorthand for Mercury is ?contest?. Add to it Lord 7 in 2nd house trine MC is often someone who earns a living via ?face to face? confrontation, more so because Lord 7 is Mars. So far this is just a quick look, I am not prepared to say what kind of efforts - mental, emotional or physical - but he enjoys a strong interaction, spar or volley back and forth.

Mercury conjunct South Node in 10th lends force to the professional expression, along the lines of ?absolutely must convey?, at times seems to explode out, almost compulsively. Ascendant and most planets are human signs and I do not see criminal indicators (not that kind of exploding!). Opposition the Moon conjunct NN in 4th points to strong family influence on his career, likely the mother. The Jupiter square the Mercury-Moon on the nodal; axis adds to a 'must be large' and dominant to the compulsiveness. Again, the receptions are fairly good and the Saturn is steadying.

I will take a more indepth look later when I have some spare time. Once again, Tom, thank you for hosting the thread.

Christina

The Mercury/South Node conjunction really picks at me. In the tenth house; I'd say it had to do with a negative public perception of this person's mode of expression, and that negative perception could work again the native. In any case, that South Node doesn't bode well.

The Moon/North Node conjunction in the fourth house. The fourth house deals with fathers, a persons upbringing, traditions handed down from generation to generation. Tradition would be very important to this person, but it's opposition to Mercury/South Node would indicate a major conflict, though not necessarily within the person per se...it would have more to do with how this person's mode of communication is perceived by the world.

You folks are very, very good.
And while I feel like complete newbie compared to most other people posting here I am glad I can post today first - usually I just have the feeling like there is not much I could add
One of my original hopes for this sort of thing was that beginners or even newcomers to traditional astrology would take the plunge and offer opinions. What is the worst thing that could happen, if you're wrong? So thank you for posting, Pavla. You made some good points.
The angular Moon is extremely fast, moving over 15 degrees that day. Mercury, even though it stationed direct only 10 days earlier, in a very short time quickened its pace to 1 degree 20 minutes, outpacing Venus (Lord 1) at 1 degree 13 minutes.
As an aside and not to be taken as having particular revlevance to this chart, I'd like to mention something. Noel Tyl teaches that Moon speed is a sign of intelligence. This is a bit surprising as most of us think of Mercury having to do with the rational mind, but the Moon is definitely part of it. Now this is not to be taken as 100% foolproof. I've seen some charts of some very intelligent people where the Moon is a bit slow and I've seen the reverse. But it does seem to hold up fairly often and I think coupling it with Mercury to get inside the person's head is a real good idea. Ptolemy did, too.
Mercury continues to gain speed reaching its max for this cycle at 1 degree 50 minutes when he is approximately 18 years old (secondary progression).
Excellent - one year off - and although there was a defining moment in the life at age 19, it is not something even someone familiar with the native's life might know. It is important.
The Mercury/South Node conjunction really picks at me. In the tenth house; I'd say it had to do with a negative public perception of this person's mode of expression, and that negative perception could work again the native. In any case, that South Node doesn't bode well.
The opposition on the nodal axis picks at me, particularly since I did some work with solar returns and this person and Mercury, Moon, and Jupiter kept popping up. Note that Jupiter tightly squares this opposition.

Part of my problem is a problem that many astrologers have: what exactly do we do with the Moon's nodes? Traditionally the north node is associated wtih Jupiter and the south with Saturn or roughly north = good south = bad. The opposition is difficult in anyone's astrology, so does the north or south node dominate or do they work seperately? I don't know the answer to that question, but I like what I'm hearing about the influence of the nodes in the blind readings.

Tom

The dragon's head and tail but no outer planets? ;)

From what I've read of the nodes, the North Node is considered benefic, while the South Node is malefic. So any planet in conjuction with either "should" be affected by their quality. Other qualities of nodes have to do with soul growth and destiny, the south node revealing past soul growth, and the north the way in which the soul wants to evolve.

In the case of the native, if I recall the chart correctly because Im too lazy to hit the back button, Leo Mercury was in the tenth, and conjunct the south node in opposition to the Aqua Moon in the fourth, conjunct the north node.

Being situated on the IC/MC axis makes this configuration important.

I'll suggest that this person is an entertainer of some kind. On a good day, people are quite impressed with what he has to say, or at least entertained. With the opposition this person doesn't agree deep down with the manner in which he communicates. He communicates in a egotistical, dramatic way(Leo), but this is totally opposed to how he really feels. this person could care less about himself as an individual, he wants to be a part of the group and fit in. This creates tension in that he constanly draws attention to himself with his manner of thinking and speaking and he inherantly doesn't want or need it.

This person might have said something in his or her career that he didnt agree with personally, for dramatic effect, which is a danger of the opposition to the moon. Another quality of the opposition might be the tendency to mis-speak, or perhaps hypocrasy in its extreme. This person may have had a "Jimmy the Greek" moment, or maybe a
"Jimmy Swaggart" one.

About Mercury in Leo, which happily I share with the native, Grant Lewi describes this placement in Astrology for the Millions: "Your reactions to sense impressions from the outer world is less important than the way you react to the sound of your own voice. the figure you are cutting in the world. You see yourself in everything you see.[...]Your reactions are slow, not because you are stupid, but because you aren't interested." There can be intellectual pride, dogmatism, and intolerance.

So, conjunct the moons node, his mercury probably tends to carry some of the more negative characteristics of his mercury placement. This goes public. The way he expresses himself comes easily, but his soul wants to focus on the moon in aqua in the 4th. So there are poor results when he uses his 10th house mercury. He should be concentrating on his inner self, his roots, his family, his legacy. Instead he is entertaining people.

edit: Just want to add my thanks for putting these on! :) :'

My apologies to Tom that I promised that I would help him, and instead I couldn?t even saw the last Mystery chart :-)
Let?s go and see if we can add anything meaningful to this discussion:

Hard to miss the angular mercury-moon-node-jupiter-pluto connection. So let?s see that first... Both of these planets have natural signification about the mind and also "speech", so I would agree he is some kind of communicator, probably to the masses. I don?t like the connection of mercury to two malefics... Before looking at other factors, I would be tempted to say that this is the kind of person that get others killed by what he speaks... The only help that I see is the square of Jupiter, although squares rarely are good helping. It adds an exagerated, and maybe hypocritical nature.

I would say the lord of manners is Saturn, with a side of Jupiter. By the position of Saturn and Venus, I would say that he is more than a little bit self destructive, although Saturn is exalted, so maybe this can compensate. He is probably an agitated and eletric man, and I would guess he likes a little "help" to relax... But maybe latter in life he can get a turn into the right direction.

I could see this man getting a high deal of success, and later losting everything because of talking too much :-)
Meu blog de astrologia (em portugues) http://yuzuru.wordpress.com
My blog of astrology (in english) http://episthemologie.wordpress.com

The moon is in the 4th house, conjunct the south node, I guess. she co-rules the 9th house of law, and applies to Jupiter, commiting her disposition and virtue, receiving him in her exaltation at the 8th house . Jupiter will have power to act in the house of the eaxltation of the moon.

The 8th house is associated with despair, death and legacies. I think this individual wil be (or was) liberated from some prison. J?piter rules the 5th and 3rd houses. Children/leisure (house 5) or the application of the law/brothers/neighbours (house 3) will liberate (Jupiter) this guy. Jupiter has a natural association with justice and law, magnates and other "power guys".

I must remember you that the 4th and 8th houses have a link to "prison issues".
Rodolfo Veronese, CMA.
http://www.astrosphera.blogspot.com

And it is very worthy of consideration the fact that the lord of the Ascendant is in the 12th by whole-sign houses, and conjunct the cusp of the same in quadrant houses.

Mercury opposites moon, but there is a prohibition of this aspect, as Jupiter is the first planet she will touch by "seeing". An square is mentioned by Lilly as an "imperfect hatred", I guess: yet, it is capable of doing good things. An square between two benefics is moderately benefic, not as much as a trigon or sextile.
Rodolfo Veronese, CMA.
http://www.astrosphera.blogspot.com

Short question for Steven:
I found out that you use egyptian terms in your delineation. I`m not familiar with them (yet).
But, you say Moon is applying to Jupiter from his triplicity. I can`t find the source for this opinion. Would you tell me, please?

Best wishes
Trojan
Reges Subjucent Legibus Stellarum

Hi Steven,

Welcome back. You were missed. Glad to hear your absence was for good reasons.

Now a Jupiter/Mercury profession might well indicate a lawyer except that Mercury is in a feral sign not a human sign indicative of professions serving humanity.
Lawyers help humanity? You cannot be serious. :-) But if you said Mercury is indicative of double talking backstabbing, megalomaniacs, and therefore indicate lawyers. I would have agreed.

This prioritising of rulers by day and night was nothing but the means of knowing what order we need to see them in and what they particularly signify in that order-but all of them are rulers of the triplicity and all of them have authority in and over their respective triplcities-otherwise it would be impossible for them to signify for those things!
Glad you brought this up. I don't disagree on the grounds that what you say makes perfect sense, but it begs another question I'll ask by example. Is Mercury at 29 Aquarius in a day chart peregrine? He is not in domicile, exaltation, term or face, he is triplicity ruler of air in night charts, but not day charts. So can he be peregrine in a day chart if he is in fact a ruler of the air triplicity. I'm sure there are other instances of this situation besides Mercury.

Tom