Mystery Chart No. 10 Revealed

[Usual Caveat: if you want to work on the chart without knowing the native - stop reading now.]

One of the most striking things about this chart is that virtually everything is disposed by a malefic, including the malefics. And the malefics are not in such great shape, and they are in mutual reception. Venus disposes the Sun, but she is in Scorpio, detriment, and herself disposed by Mars in the 8th. Pluto is the only planet that is not either seriously debilitated or disposed by a weak malefic, and I don?t pay too much attention to Pluto before or since his demotion. The only planet with a decent amount of essential dignity is Jupiter. He is in his own triplicity and term, but he is retrograde.

Saturn is in yet another mutual reception, this one by exaltation with the Sun (whom he opposes), but since both the Sun and Saturn are in the signs of their fall, they will not be of much help to each other. The Sun is conjunct Spica and that is some help, but his life didn?t indicate Spica was all that beneficial for him.

The Mercury Mars square is significant and we?ll return to that, but what struck me is the Mercury ? Moon sextile. Usually a nice aspect between Mercury and the Moon is an indication of a well functioning mind. There is a balance between the rational mind (Mercury) and the imaginative mind (Moon), but both these planets are disposited by malefics, and unfortunately malice was the thrust of our native?s short life. The tight Mars square to Mercury offset whatever good might have come from the sextile.

Our native is Lee Harvey Oswald, the man who assassinated John F. Kennedy. Yes that?s what I said ? assassinated. This thread is not the place for gassy knollers to vent their spleen. We?re going to discuss the chart, but for the record the genuine evidence, as opposed to the more fanciful kind propounded by conspiracy buffs, all points the same way. Lee Harvey Oswald killed President John F. Kennedy on Nov 22, 1963, and he had no help. It takes only a small of amount of digging through the fantastic stories of ?Badgeman, ? Babushka ladies,? grassy knolls, 100 ?mysterious? deaths and so on, to see them for what they are ? nonsense. It?s been 43 years since Kennedy?s death, and no legitimate evidence, forensic or otherwise has emerged that can explain the facts in any way other than Oswald did it.*

Oswald, to me appears to be at times compelling, and at other times breathtakingly superficial and short sighted. I cannot tell if he was simply semi-literate and ignorant, or reasonably intelligent and unbalanced. We?ve all met people like Oswald, apparently soulless, carrying a perpetual smirk that is possibly designed to convey superior knowledge when in fact it only masks a vast emptiness. We have not all met killers though. What intrigues me is the story told in Gerald Posner?s book Case Closed. Oswald had just been captured in a movie theater and was arrested for the murder of Police officer J.D. Tippet. He had two sets of ID on him: one with his real name, and the other with the name Alek Hidel. A homicide detective asked, ?Which one are you?? And Oswald smirked: ?You figure it out.? Let?s take the challenge.

Temperament: I get a balance of melancholic, phlegmatic, and sanguine, with no choler using two different methods. In one method, Dorian Greenbaum?s melancholy slightly dominates. In the other, John Frawley?s modification of Lilly, phlegmatic slightly dominates. Both show some sanguine. Oswald could never hold even a menial job for any length of time. If phlegm represents the desire principle, he had a desire for recognition (Moon in Capricorn?), but lacked the discipline, the skills, and the education to fulfill his desires. His main desire was nothing less than being recognized as a major theorist of Marxism. He never finished high school. But here we see the conflict of the phlegmatic principle and the sanguine. He wanted to be an intellectual, but lacked the drive, (choler?) to become one.

Significator of the manners is the planet or planets that most engage Mercury and the Moon. That planet is Mars. Mars is the exaltation ruler of the Moon and the domicile ruler of Mercury. Mars is also in a partile square with Mercury. Mercury and the Moon are in an easy aspect, which shows the imagination and rational mind can work well together. But Moon is in her detriment, and Mercury is an accidental malefic via the square from Mars in 8 and gets no real help from the conjunction with Venus in her detriment. The Mars square to Mercury and the Moon in her fall with both Mars and the Moon being disposed by Saturn in fall point to difficulties with the proper functioning of the mind. Oswald may have had what we would call today learning disabilities. His journal, which he called his ?historic diary,? is replete with misspellings, horrible syntax, and no sense of style at all. It is the work of a semi literate. Yet, objective observers have called him, verbally ?articulate.? Posner referred to him as ?dyslexic,? this has become a catch all term for learning disabilities when the meaning of the word is simply, ?difficulty with reading.? Oswald read, or tired to read, voraciously.

His embrace of Marxism, to me anyway, smacks more of a kind of twisted opportunism. I think he did it for shock value, and the shock value was designed to draw attention to himself. His grasp of economics was, to be kind, horrible. While he lived in Russia, better-educated people saw his understanding of Marxist thought to be juvenile at best ? it was really worse than that. Oswald wanted recognition for his intellect and he was not able to bring himself to do the necessary work (lack of choler) to create the recognition. He believed that in a Marxist state, like the Soviet Union, he would simply be recognized for what he was in his own mind, and honors would accrue, i.e., he wouldn?t have to work for it. But when he lived in Russia, not only didn?t the honors accrue, but also the Russians wanted him out of the country. When they threw him out or were about to, he attempted suicide (there is some legitimate doubt as to whether this attempt was sincere or just another attention getting stunt. It could have been real and he screwed it up, or he could have planned it so he would be discovered in time. There are arguments for both views).

Space will not permit the entire story of Oswald?s spiral into madness, if that is in fact what happened. After marrying Marina, a Russian national (Saturn rules 7 and 9) he managed to get back to the US. He lost a series of menial jobs, deliberately kept his wife from learning English, fathered a second child, took typing lessons (so he could type his historic diary, which became historic for unintended reasons), and ominously, scraped up 12 dollars to buy a rifle and another four or five to buy a scope for it, from a Chicago mail order house, which arrived at the same time as the pistol he ordered from another mail order house. This was legal in 1963.

His marriage was a horror show (Lord 7: Saturn Rx in fall). He routinely beat his wife, even when she was pregnant, blamed her for his failures, was argumentative, obnoxious, somewhat reclusive, and to some people he was frightening despite his utterly unimpressive physical appearance. They lived in one dilapidated neighborhood after another. They depended on charity more or less to feed their children. His wife was bitterly lonely, not being able to speak the language and having something of a victim?s instinct herself. It was something of a repeat of his own childhood.

Oswald?s father died two months prior to Lee?s birth. His mother, Marguerite Oswald, was possibly certifiably mad. It was rumored that she wanted to be paid for her testimony to the Warren Commission.** True or not it was entirely in character. She was forever protecting her son, even after his death, ?Sometimes a woman needs to be beaten by her husband,? she testified to the Warren Commission to try to justify Lee?s abuse of his wife. A control freak of the highest order, Lee?s brother Robert joined the military to get away from her and so, ultimately did Lee. She moved to different homes something like 16 times in the first 12 years of his life. They briefly lived in the Bronx, NY, but moved back to New Orleans when Lee was declared a truant by NYC board of education. He attended school 17 of 64 days. Marguerite Oswald testified that the NYC Board of Education was the source of the problem. THey ?Picked on? her boy because they do that when you?re absent only a single day. He son was not a truant.

Oswald has been variously described as ?intensely self-centered? a loner, a troublemaker, a bully, and at least one mental health professional described him, at age 13 as having, ?definite traits of dangerousness.? He had delusions of grandeur as well. When he returned to the US from Russia he told his wife he fully expected to be mobbed by reporters. He even wrote out answers to expected questions. He was surprised, not to mention disappointed, when no reporters came to meet him.

He explained his life?s failures the way all losers and more than a few criminals do. It is always somebody else?s fault. He was picked on because he was smarter than everyone else. The government was after him. The Marine Corps persecuted him (he was court martialed twice and eventually his discharge was reduced to less than honorable). No one appreciated him. He was better than the menial jobs he couldn?t perform up to standard.

In short, our native was a psychological mess. But there are lots of psychological messes that do not kill. The destinies of Lee Harvey Oswald social misfit and born loser and John F. Kennedy, President of the United States would become intertwined forever.

There are quite a few insightful remarks mde about the chart that should be discussed. I write the post that reveals the mystery native before all the posts are made, which is why I don?t address them at that time. This is a start, nothing more.

If anyone does not believe the lone gunman theory, please feel free to discuss the chart anyway from that perspective, but not to air theories. Reacting to conspiracy theories is a lot like hitting gophers over the head as they pop up from different holes. Ultimately nothing constructive is done. It isn?t terribly difficult to imagine scenarios. In order for the scenario to be taken seriously, there needs to be documented evidence that every part of the scenario took place. This is what is done in criminal courts. A District Attorney cannot win a conviction by simply arguing, ?Well this makes sense and what about this and what about that?? Some conspiracy buffs have made honest attempt to do just this, but closer examination, often accompanied by forensic techniques that did not exist in the early 1960s invariably causes those theories to fall. It is also true that every sensational crime results in ?witnesses? that come forward with fantastic tales, that never pan out. This most sensational murder produced more than it share of such witnesses, that claim they saw people who could not have been there, and things that could not have happened (e.g., the auto dealer who claimed Oswald came to him to buy a car and took one for a test drive. Oswald never had a driver?s license*** ). This is not evidence of a conspiracy but rather typical fruitcake behavior.

Let?s stick with the chart. If you want to tell me I?m full of beans about Oswald (not the astrology), write me privately and be polite. I?ll answer. If you want to tell me my astrology is full of beans, put that on the thread.

Tom

*The information on Lee Harvey Oswald contained in this and other posts by the author can be found in numerous places including, but not limited to the following sources:
1) Oswald?s Tale by Norman Mailer 1995
2) Case Closed by Gerald Posner 1993
3) The Kennedy Assassination website http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

** For those either outside the US or inside the US and too young to remember, since Oswald was himself murdered two days after Kennedy was killed, there never was a trial. Instead A Congressional committee headed, at least in name, by US Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren, was formed to investigate Kennedy?s and Oswald?s deaths. It became popularly known as ?The Warren Commission.?

***I just learned that Oswald took two or at most three driving lessons from Ruth Paine, the woman who took in Marina Oswald just prior to the assasination. I had either forgotten or never learned this. Paine described his driving as "unskilled." He never applied for a learners permit. The basic point still stands. He couldn't drive.

These charts are fantastic, thanks again for putting them on Tom. :)

I'd just like to throw my two cents in about Neptune conj. the IC in Virgo.
This seems quite important, and now that I know a bit about the native's life, I'd like to continue with some analysis.

Neptune is suppossed to represent illusion, deception, etc., With it so close to the IC, which represents our basic self, we can see how it played out in his life.

When the cop asked him for ID, he had two of them. Two identities. If I remember correctly I believe he had several aliases. From your description of his life it seems like he was always wanting to be something he wasn't, or had very misplaced ideas about who he was. He thought he was a genius(IC in virgo), he thought he was a leading authority on communism, he thought he would be recieved with reporters upon his return to the US, this all turned out to be untrue, yet I think he truly believed it. Delusions of grandeur. This smacks hard of Neptune on the IC.

To continue with my speculation(because thats really all I can do here), I also see ties with his sun in the 4th and his attraction to communism. You said that he was interested in communism, yet never showed any aptitude for it. Perhaps he was drawn to communism and it root of "community", not intellectually, but emotionally. If he couldn't have a normal, happy family, he would make the whole world his family through the communist idealogy. Just a thought.

What isn't clear to me is how the moon in the 7th plays out, usually this is indicitive of many spouses, yet he only had one.

Capricorn on the DC is telling, his relationship with his spouse sounded very cold and austere.

Pisces on the MC and Cancer on the asc fits perfectly in my mind: introverted, dreamy, fantasy land type persona, I'm sure he heard the phrase "Earth to Lee" a few times in his life.

But all of this was diposited by Mars, the planet of action, and he eventually took action. In the end he was only an assassin, but is he the most unique assassin ever? Who shot Archduke Ferdanand? Why so little buzz(relatively) about the assassins who killed RFK, or MLK? Why does Lee Harvey Oswald stand out? Mars in....Aquarius? This could also ultimately explain his attraction to communism.

Just brainstorming a bit.

PS, and Ill stick by my statement that all the kid wanted was a secure home and family, shame about his childhood, that can really screw someone up. The mother was mad? Another argument for neptune on the IC. :)

I don't have time to say all I'd like to about this post, right now. I'll hit a few highlights, even though I'm not a Neptune man.

I don't see all things in the chart via psychology. That's OK because I'm not the last word in astrology. But if I'm going to use Neptune at all, it's going to be like a fixed star and more geared towards events and how they shape the native as opposed to looking at the planets to see what the mean to the Native internally.

Any fixed star on an angle is going to be felt to one degree or another. If Neptune implies lack of stability (illusion), it describes the home life, i.e., the IC. He did not have a father or much of a father figure for very long in his life, despite what a lot of sociologist types would have us believe, fathers are important. He moved constantly. He was enrolled in more than a dozen schools before he finally quit. He lived in New Orleans, New York City, and other places all as a child. There was no stability at all.
When the cop asked him for ID, he had two of them. Two identities. If I remember correctly I believe he had several aliases. From your description of his life it seems like he was always wanting to be something he wasn't, or had very misplaced ideas about who he was.
He always believed the FBI was after him (would that they were). He changed names to avoid them. He beleieved, wrongly, that the FBI snooping cost him jobs. So he used false names to stay ahead of them. His wife, shortly before the assasination, when she learned he was using false names (again) said, "When will our foolishness end?" He saw himself as this important communist undercover agent. He was a nobody.
Perhaps he was drawn to communism and it root of "community", not intellectually, but emotionally. If he couldn't have a normal, happy family, he would make the whole world his family through the communist idealogy. Just
He wanted to be a hero of the revolution. He couldn't compete in everyday affairs, at work, or socially. He was an outcast at school, in the Marines, and at every job he had. He joined or tired to, another group of outcasts. He failed there, too, but since they humored him instead of ridiculing him, he felt he belonged.
What isn't clear to me is how the moon in the 7th plays out, usually this is indicitive of many spouses, yet he only had one.
See Deb's post on the other thread. Angular Moon brings fame. Moon in Capricorn brought infamy. He died when he was ony 24. He abused his wife. Given more time and abuse, he may well have moved on to another spouse.
I'm sure he heard the phrase "Earth to Lee" a few times in his life.
Not enough, but it wouldn't have mattered. His illusions of what he was and what he meant to the communist party and movement were not at all in line with reality.
but is he the most unique assassin ever? Who shot Archduke Ferdanand? Why so little buzz(relatively) about the assassins who
Outstanding question. The Archduke Ferdinand was killed by a guy whose name I cannot recall. That happned nearly 100 years ago and in a foreign country. Sirhan Sirhan is still alive and in jail. James Earl Ray died in prison. Although both have been suggested to be part of a conspiracy, neither attracted the attention Oswald has. Ray was captured, I believe, in London with a lot of cash on him. This should have raised some questions and probably did. Sirhan was captured within seconds of his killing of RFK. Both these men went to trial; Oswald never did. That is part of the explanation, but not all of it. I'll write more on his another time, but there is, in my mind anyway, a better answer to this excellent question.

Tom

Tom wrote:
He wanted to be a hero of the revolution. He couldn't compete in everyday affairs, at work, or socially. He was an outcast at school, in the Marines, and at every job he had. He joined or tired to, another group of outcasts.

What strikes me in this chart regarding communism, studies and fail in them etc. is the almuten on the chart (Omar of Tiberias method) Saturn. Indians connect Saturn with both communism/democracy and protestantism and I find it a very valid idea. This man wanted to be an intellectual, a social theorist (Gauquelin found a strong connection between dry and cold Saturn and scientists), but his Saturn is in fall in Aries conjoining South Node! No durability, no patience. "Hero of the revolution" describes it perfectly.

I don't think that his appeal for Marxism was an accident. His chart makes strong, tight synastry aspects with Karl Marx's chart (5 May 1818 at 2.00 LMT -0.26.32, Trier, Germany).

What strikes me in this chart regarding communism, studies and fail in them etc. is the almuten on the chart (Omar of Tiberias method) Saturn. Indians connect Saturn with both communism/democracy and protestantism and I find it a very valid idea.
While I undestand the connection of Saturn with goverment and I can easily understand its conection with communism, I have a difficult time with Saturn and democracy, unless I'm misunderstanding your point. Democracy implies a freedom that Saturn exists to restrict.

Another point, Oswald was melancholic/phlegmatic. The planets ruling his temperament are Saturn and the Moon. Saturn is elevated in his chart, so Saturn plays an important role in his psychology and, as noted, it is in fall.

I don't think that his appeal for Marxism was an accident. His chart makes strong, tight synastry aspects with Karl Marx's chart
And Marx had his share of social problems, too. Interesting point though. From what I can determine, Oswald's grasp of Marxist pihlosophy wsa seriously superficial. After his trip to Russia he described himself as a "Trotskyite." I get the feeling that he would be hard pressed to explain the difference between Marx and Trotsky. But I'm basing my opinion on judgments made by others that were in the form of gossip. There is really no way to know for sure just how deep his knowledge of Marx, Marxism, communism, etc seemed to go. It's unlikely his knowledge was more than superficial, but even that is somewhat speculative.

I think the key to understanding Oswald is his desire for recognition and that may be the Moon in Capricorn, and his strong feeligs of inferiority, which are probably shown by the Saturn - Sun opposition/mutual reception. But ultimately Lee Harvey Oswald just didn't get it. He saw himself as an undercover agent because he went to right wing political rallies, held in public, and set reports to leaders of Comunist Party USA indicating he had infiltrated the vanguard of an emerging right wing political threat. They were rallies and usually poorly attended.
There was a serious disconect between Oswald's world and the one ther rest of the country lived in. And I'm not referring to his political beleifs.

People sufferring with dementia or Alzheimers, begin to do bizzare things because they are losing touch with the world, they understand that and they try deserately to make sense of their surroundings. Theypretend to remember people they cannot recall, but know that they should recall them and these are sometimes family members. Most of their behavior even as they deteriorate can be understood this way. I think this is true in a different way with Oswald. He didn't know how to relate to people, his attempts at friendships wee awkward and offensive. People shunned him, and he built up a belief in his own superiority and the lack of appreciation for his talents was due to others' inability to understand him.

Sooner or later this world collapses like the dementia patients' world collapses, but Oswald could peform day-today functions and little else. He had to show people, peole he respected, the "revolutionaries" that he was worthy of respect and he did so by turning loose his Mars. He tried to kill General Edwin Walker a former US Air Force General turned extreme right wing politician. He may have thought about trying it again when fate gave him a much better target. He seemed to know he would get caught or killed as his actions on the day of the assasination demonstrated. In his warped little mind he was going down in a blaze of glory and would be the toast of communists everywhere. He even failed at that. From what I can tell CPUSA bent over backwards to cooperate with the FBI just to avoid any association with Oswald. I can only imagine the shockwaves in the Soviet Union in the KGB when they realized the insignificant little incompetent they wanted to get out of their country and refused to let back in in August of 1963 could have inadvertently started WWIII. Fortunately for them and us, and perhaps the world, the US first looked at Castro as a suspect, but mercifully, waited before reacting.

While I expect to have more to say aout the conspiracy theory hysteria, some of it is understandable. It is difficult to believe that under the right circumstances someone as insignificant as Lee Harvey Oswald could force himself on the world stage and potentially set in motion catastrophic consequences. I think this kindles the fires of conspiracies or some of them. How could this nobody cause all that?

If the fourth house is endings, and how we're remembered after we die, Neptune on the 4th is fitting for this man - a boy really. He left nothing behind but confusion and although we may never know how, a different world.

Tom

After reading all of this I actually feel very sorry for him
I don't. He killed a man for little more than his own amusement (eyewitnesses saw him smirking after the shots were fired) and self aggrandizement. He killed another (remember he shot and killed a police officer shortly after he killed Kennedy) to avoid capture and then went into a movie theater. On his last day of freedom, he gave his wife all the money he had saved ($170) and gave her other information about where to find things (they were seperated at the time). When he was captured he said "I understand you get the electric chair in this state for murder." A cop turned to him and said, "You might find out." Oswald smirked, "It only takes a second to die." All this indicates he was committing suicide without having the nerve to do it himself. There are a lot of miserable lost souls who are worthy of your sympathy. This one isn't.

What makes him and his actions so interesting (I know that sounds cold) are the things that had to fall into place in order to bring him and JFK to their destinies. The other question is this: was he insane and on a steady downward spiral and would have killed someone else (General Walker)? Or was there a genuine political motive for killing Kennedy a la Sirhan Sirhan and James Earl Ray? Not that motive would make his crimes any less horrible.

He was a bully in school (he was kept behind and was bigger than his classmates. The Marine Corps took that out of him), he beat his pregnant wife, he abused her in front of others, he deliberately infuritated people because it was the only power he had, he was resourceful enough to get his wish to live and work in the USSR* where he was treated better than the average Russian (he actually had his own apartment), he was offerred mental and other help throughout his life that he rejected, and the best he could do with himself, was attempt to kill one man and murder two others. Don't waste your sympathy.

Tom

*Norman Mailer's Oswald's Tale gives a detailed account of his life in the USSR and of everyday life in the USSR. The next time anyone decides to take a trip to another city to do anything, see a play, buy some clothes, go to a restaurant or whatever, recall that in the USSR one needed goverment permission to travel. If I want to go to Boston this afternoon for some clam chowder, no government official will ask me why or tell me I can't go - and even if they do, I don't have to answer and they cannot legally stop me. Not so for Oswald. He left the USA with no difficulty whatsoever. He even stormed into the US Embassy in Moscow to renounce his American citizenship (not accepted), When he wanted to leave the USSR he had to apply for permission and wait for the bureacracy to grant it. While he railed now and again against bureaucrats, it never occured to him to rail against the system that gave them so much power. He had an apartment of his own. It was said that to a Russian woman the ideal life was to fall in love with a man who had his own apartment. If you want an apartment in the US, you don't need goverment to get you one. It is a method of control. People who say "No property rights before human rights," don't realize that there are no human rights without property rights. The state owns the property, ergo, the state owns you.

Oswald couldn't see that or wouldn't see it. I wonder if his desire to live in a totalitarian state wasn't some subconscious quest for order in his life.

All his actions, as despicable as they were, only fill me with sadness and compassion. Compassion is a bit different from sympathy. There are plenty of lost and miserable souls; the ones who bully others (and spiral downward into murder/assassination) are truly the most lost. That doesn't mean I condone any of his actions or deny he had free will. He did. But people who are in pain act in ways that are outside the norm, and he was clearly in pain, whether it manifested itself as such or not (seems like it manifested as causing pain to others). To heap more scorn on him only repeats and reinforces the cycle he experienced in his life. But this is just my belief.

While we can and do disapprove of the way he was brought up, and we can certainly wish that no one would ever be brought up that way, as you imply, that is a long way from condoning or even excusing his acts. The problem occurs when people dwell on the atrocious upbringing to the point where the victims of that upbringing are treated as though they are robots and not in control of their actions. As you say, he had free will.

As for the scorn repeating itself, Oswald was not scorned by his mother, the most important person in his life during his upbringing. She was his ultimate defender. He never saw spousal abuse either; his father died before he was born although is mother may have remarried while he was in his youth. I'll have to look that up. He was scorned by his fellow Marines, his co-workers and even those that tried to befriend him. In short he brought it upon himself. Hs lack of trust and insecurity can be related to his upbringing, but in this case, anyway, I don't see this as part of a cycle.

I'm gald you wrote though. Thank you.
:)

Tom