Dear Sirs,
........hold your breath..
i have my natal Mars at 25 Degree 15' of Taurus...recently read about this Algol effect ,but have always felt problems with my Mars...had this stupid habit of invariably kicking gift horse on his mouth , whenever he tried to give me a free ride, ( thought ,square to Asc was responsible..) , ....but after Marriage !
Saw & experienced this pattern of violence ,really manifesting inside me & crystallizing things..whenever my wife criticises, me far too contemptly for my comfort ( i also carry Uranus,pluto conjunctions in my house 7) ...so brooding a anger erupts Volcanically..tell you truth , have broken few Mobiles , a TV remote , Glasses , Trolley...in this state...though i have never taken an alcoholic drinks (except cough-syrups) all my life..its so shameful..very difficult to control :-cry

Arihant

Sideral Astrology uses constellations and fixed stars. Western Astrology,or Tropical Astrology uses the seasons. Its funny that not many student astrologers realize this and lots of professionals just like to ignore the fact.
I think you have got the wrong end of the stick Bill as we say here in Britain. You are confusing the tropical signs with tropical astrology's historic use of uneven sized constellations.

Tropical western astrology has always been 'sidereal' in the sense of using the fixed stars and constellations. You may be surprised to learn that nearly all the well known tropical astrologers in history such as Ptolemy, Bonatti, Lilly, Morin etc worked with fixed stars and constellations.

Most contemporary traditional astrologers also work with fixed stars. There are even some modern schools of tropical astrology that have maintained this approach such as Uranian astrology. Hence one of the foremost authorities on the use of fixed stars today is Diana Rosenberg. She is a tropical Uranian astrologer. Followers, of Ebertin and Cosmobiology also use fixed stars. I think this has influenced Noel Tyl so I believe he is known to teach his students about working with fixed stars too. Clearly, the use of fixed stars in tropical astrology is not confined to those working traditionally.

Ironically, systems of so called 'Sidereal Astrology' such as Jytosh or the western Fagan-Bradley Zodiac don't actually use the constellations at all. They squeeze the traditionally uneven shaped constellations into 12 even shaped 'signs'. One effect of dividing up the uneven shaped constellations into standardised 'signs' is that there is no agreement amongst siderealists where signs begin or end. Thus there are numerous schools of astrology in India proposing a slightly different sidereal zodiac.

In western tropical astrology constellations and fixed stars are used in addition to the tropical signs. However, the constellations are of unequal size. The constellation of Virgo for example is three times as large as the constellation of Capricorn. Western tripicalists also make use of other constellations apart from the zodiacal ones.

In fairness, the position with Jytosh is more complex than the western Fagan-Bradley Zodiac since it also uses the 27 lunar mansions or Nakshatras which are divided up evenly according to various fixed stars. Originally though they are thought to have been of unequal sizes in the same way the constellations used in western tropical astrology are today.

Fixed Stars

arihant,

From what I understand about Fixed Stars they have to be right on gthe exact degree to affect a Luminary or Planet. With your Natal Mars @ 25/15 Taurus and Algol is 26 Taurus + your Mars would not be implicated.

You understand your behavior and own it. Maybe anger management courses could help you?

To add: Mars energy in Taurus is held back, bottled up. The Myth is that Mars was corked up in a bottle for 9 months, other myths say 14 months. When the cork is finally popped out he comes in a blazing rage, ready to take anything and anyone on. Maybe this is helpful.

Julie K
Last edited by Julie K on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please understand that what follows is not intended to be a delineation of any chart or a description of any person. These are guidelines I thought might be helpful.

Most astrologers use between one and two degrees of orb for a fixed star and conjunctions only. Rising culminating and setting stars are probably the most important, planets conjunct stars are next and in that case a planet having the same nature as a star would be more influential than a planet of a dissimilar nature. For example the star under discussion is Caput Algol and is said to have a Mars-Jupiter nature. Therefore if Mars or Jupiter is conjunct Algol it is more likely to have a major influence in the chart.

The stars, for the most part, have a pretty fearsome reputation and Algol has the fiercest of all. But these reputations are usually based on a single instance in a single chart where something dreadful happened and no consideration is given to anything else. The classic example is John F. Kennedy. He has Jupiter on Algol and he was shot in the head and killed at the age of 46. While it is tempting to look at Algol in JFK?s chart somewhat smugly and say, ?I told you so,? it would be dishonest to do so. Kennedy?s chart has Venus ruling the ASC and 8th cusp (Placidus) posited in the 8th square the Moon who rules the MC. She is also combust, but barely so and leaving combustion. Mars in Taurus is on the 8th cusp conjunct the dispositor of Kennedy?s Sun. The Sun is conjunct the MC by antiscion. There is enough spooky stuff here to fill a good horror novel and yet it took an extraordinary convergence of events to put Kennedy and his assassin in Dealy Plaza on Nov 22, 1963. There was a lot more going on than Jupiter on Algol.

The second point is philosophical and perhaps theological. Algol is said to be an evil star. However, we are taught that evil is the absence of good. In and of itself it does not exist; it has no essence. If we accept this, then Algol (or Saturn or Mars) cannot be evil and must be good. What kind of good? Like most things in life Algol presents us with a choice. Caput Algol is the head of the Medusa. Medusa, who, in some versions of the myth was a beautiful woman that had the slight drawback of having snakes instead of hair. Glance upon her and the individual turns to stone. When one is turned to stone, one has no soul.

Algol represents the desire nature. A prominent Algol confronts the native with his or her desires. The Medusa was slain with the sword of Perseus who cleverly used a mirror (wisdom) to enable him to kill the Medusa without actually looking at her. Perseus took action. Mars on Algol then is the challenge to pick up the sword and overcome, where necessary, one?s less tan admirable desires. Otherwise the desires will destroy the soul.

Think of a politician who desires wealth, power, prestige or whatever and schemes using any available means available, fair or foul, to obtain a high position for his own benefit only. That person has no soul. He is effectively turned to stone by his desires. However another person in a similar position uses wisdom and the sword for greater good has a soul and slays the Medusa.

This is the meaning of Algol in a chart. We are confronted by our desires and our decision is to accept the challenge, or ignore it and suffer the consequences, which may range from regretting what might have been to an untimely death (and no I?m not indicting JFK).

There is a whole chart to be considered, not just a single placement.

Tom

Thank you, Julie and Thank you ,Respected Tom ,

I am so glad to hear these kind words from you.Julie
Already my thanks were overdue , for Toltec Wisdoms four Agreements. which you were so gracious to tell us in the other thread:

Be Impeccable with Yor Word.

Dont Take Anything Personally.

Dont Make Assumptions.

Always do your best.

however please ..., what is meant by "Unos Salos Vistas"

Perhaps , i can add two more, very important for me,(as my malice run
deep inside my psyche)
...to cultivate more love , more understanding for my dear wife!
and that:i truly agree , that to every one household , a girl should born
that people should realize they need be sensitive to girls
that a gentleman is one who is sensitive to any of the total girls
in the world , whoever girl God gives him to deal as a father , brother , son,husband or friend .. he should never ever shout at her or BREAK her spirits !Fine,

Coming to this , that Algol is presently at 26 deg 12' of Taurus , just analyze that at the start of 1900 , it was at 24 Tau 46' , so due to precession of motion , at summer 1968 , it wasn't too far from conjunctional orb of less than 1 degrees

There is no point in blaming Planets for our lack of self control - or characteristic weaknesses... i should know & behave better, though famous taurean anger was not frequent , but now at 40, i can certainly give more care & caution.

Anyways , my heart was warmed by your affectionate concern! (elderly also)

Mr Tom,please accept my regards first!

Though your post was meant to caution folks not to imagine / visualize Algol doing Caput in your lives far too much, but i am sure , you are aware of my standing in front of such people.

After reading 2-3 times , i am now fully understanding the importance of this post & i feel grateful tor you, for writing this .

"Algol represents the desire nature. A prominent Algol confronts the native with his or her desires"
HOW TRUE

"This is the meaning of Algol in a chart. We are confronted by our desires and our decision is to accept the challenge"
way to work it out..

Sir , i have this confusion , i request you to guide a bit,

about this as during 1900 Algol from 24Tau46 came to 26 tau10 at 2000 (due to precession of motion)
Now in some books , Authors have given certain characteristic with degrees , like since that famous person had Murcury at this degree of taurus & this fixed star is also there , & so this degree favour "inventiona ' like Marconi,
Now , as on today, this fixed star , since the publication of the book ,has shifted to next degree , so wouldn't that books description about that degree is no longer valid now?

Can we fit it for next degree, & what about descriptions , given for other degrees, which do not have any named star nearby?

I hope many would like to have a bit more clarity regarding all this..

regards!

Arihant

Agol

Arihant,

I do my best to keep to the Toltec Wisdoms, but as a human being I do fall short.

Unos Salos Vistas .....it's Latin and means:

I hope you good health continues. Not an exact translation but what we can say in one language just isnt the same as in others.

Julie K

about this as during 1900 Algol from 24Tau46 came to 26 tau10 at 2000 (due to precession of motion)
Now in some books , Authors have given certain characteristic with degrees , like since that famous person had Murcury at this degree of taurus & this fixed star is also there , & so this degree favour "inventiona ' like Marconi,
Now , as on today, this fixed star , since the publication of the book ,has shifted to next degree , so wouldn't that books description about that degree is no longer valid now?

Can we fit it for next degree, & what about descriptions , given for other degrees, which do not have any named star nearby?
Hi,

In natal astrology, we are concerned with a planet conjunct or near the same degree as the star occupies at the time of birth. So if a person is born in 1900 and Algol is at 24 Taurus 46 and he Has Mercury at 24 Taurus 00 it does not matter that at age 36 Algol will no longer be at 24 Taurus 46 but rather at about 25 Taurus 28. It is Mercury conjunct Algol at the time of birth that matters.

It is also true that the descriptions do not change when the star leaves that degree or even if the star changes signs. Regulus, Cor Leonis, the heart of the Lion is about to enter Virgo. The meaning of Regulus does not change when that happens.

I don't use degree meanings like Sabian symbols, so I don't think the fixed star would change meanings as the degree changes. The meaning stays the same regardless of the position of the star.

Some astrologers prefer something other than the traditional meanings assigned to the star. I don't do that either. I stick with the traditional meanings. Now those meanings can be viewed a bit differently than they were in say, Ptolemy's day, but their essence never changes. For example in the US we would look at the Royal Stars of Persia and how they relate to our President. We would not change the meanings of the stars, but we would look at that meaning in the context of what we know of our nation's leader, not in the context of an ancient King who would rule until his death.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Hello Sir,
Thank you very much , for your reply!
Surely , i do agree reading of nature of fixed stars shall not change...
But I am thinking of specific case ,like, if i was born in 1900 , with Mars at 24Tau 46 , so that description in the book, of say inborn abilty of Invention like Marconi , because he had some planet conjunct this fixed star also.
Now (say)my Grandson in 2000, is also born with a planet say Mars at 24 Tau 46 again , but meanwhile this fixed planet- known to bestow inventiveness has shifted further , so i cannot just follow the description given in that book , in front of degree 25Tau:

1)Does this means these descriptions need be continously updated?
2)Can this also mean those description given in last century book , of publishing years , say 1917 to 1942 , are no longer true , generally for all degrees as most of the fixed stars , based on which these descriptions were written have shifted , their positions , by 1 to 1.5 degrees...or shall shift further in coming years?
3) now , since basic characteristics of these Fixed stars are not changing , folks are supposed to be intelligent enough to understand precession of motion , & check themselves what the CURRENT position of fixed stars , on the day of most recent birth of offsprings in their familes ...rather than reading the( DEGREE) description in an old books...can this statement can now be made with certainity?

4) what about those descriptions ( given in those books)in front of degrees say 19 degree taurus, where no fixed star is nearby..
is it high time people stopped believing simply in those description blindly....rather they should understand & read nature of PROMINENT Fixed stars , learn about their current longitudes , and if a recent or very soon a birth is going to happen in their near family or in friends , & if certain planets are conjuncting these Fixed stars ...only then they should deduce their conclusions!

Respected Tom , if i am annoying you , or if anyone feels I am just arguing , for the argument sake, i am really sorry!

but its true , now that i have made public my doubts , I am feeling better
I always hope postive , Pisces ascendants have receptivuty with hope of finding life fuller /helped & their thoughts sorted by , more knowledgeable ones!
..with hope somebody do give his version on this!

regards & thanks again Mr. Tom , for taking care to reply!

..and Unos Salos Vista , Julie !
answer my query astrologically also Julie , you are retired & must have something of a matter to throw light on my confusion !
regards to you also ..and to all!
Arihant
Last edited by Arihant on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fixed Stars

Arihant,

The Fixed Stars move 00.50'00" a year so their positions cover a great of time. There has been no suggestion to alter the 'meanings' given to the Fixed Stars - they stay the same.

This is what I had read and heard.

You are simply trying to clarify a point that is pertinent to your chart - that's not annoying.

Julie K

Yuriy wrote:I?ve just heard some modern definition that Algol can indicate losing the election, like a presidential. I know that Al Gore has Algol significant in chart - an example.
Though, he is the Oscar winner for his documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" :)
How interesting. Al Gore's Venus partile Algol in 10th house. Venus is its own sign and it's in good shape so perhaps that will help.

http://www.astrodatabank.com/NM/GoreAl.htm

Algol...contemporary interpretation?

:D Hi everyone! & what an interesting article this is!! :D
Just thougt I'd add my bit.....in reference to Al Gore's nativity & position of Algol,the actor Johnny Depp also has Venus at 26 degrees ,8 mins of Taurus in his 10th house.So,an almost Partile conjunction,very powerful when you consider the roles he's played....Edward Scissorhands,Ichabod Crane(Sleepy Hollow)...& more recently,sweeney Todd the DEMON barber of Fleet St!!! :o There was certainly plenty of "damage to the throat & neck " in this one!
Venus is in the Terms of Mars,maybe that's why he has a way of making his 'baddies' Roles pitying....he wants you to see the other side to them,& even feel sorry for them.
Wishes,
Saturngirl. :P
Enjoy what you learn,as it keeps the mind youthful!!

Hi All,

Just some interesting examples I noticed concerning Algol:

- A guy I know is an archaeologist excavating extended burial grounds from bronze age in eastern europe. He?s got Algol on his MC. Fits well with the chinese name of Algol: piled up corpses, or so....

- On 8 feb 2006, mars was on Algol and I watched soccer (German Bundesliga) on TV. Andreas Reinke, Werder Bremens Keeper, got so badly hit on his head by someone other?s knee, he had to have immediate surgery in hospital for 4 hours. Actually he never fully recovered. I guess it was the last game he played in his career...
On the same day in another match Ailton (at that time Hamburger SV) broke his jaw...
I think thats interesting as serious head injuries are quite rare in Bundesliga...

btw...presently I?m considering relocating from Germany to Aberdeen, Scotland in Autumn and reading the thread I noticed that in my relocated chart for Aberdeen Algol will be right on descendant....
(just as in slobodan milosevics chart, who also has algol on saturn or uranus, i think).....hope it wont get that bad......
:D

leywand