Sad news about Sue

I am completely devastated to have to report the sad news that Sue Toohey, a moderator and regular contributor to this forum, died last Saturday. I know that Sue has suffered from several serious illnesses over a long period of time ? in many ways it was a miracle that she lived as long as she did, although she was only 46.

I first became acquainted with Sue after she attended one of my talks on the traditional meanings of the houses. She was giggling through my description of the 12th house being one of the most ?difficult? houses, whilst accepting that what I said was ?so true? (she had 4 planets in the 12th house). She was schooled in ?modern techniques? but after that talk she totally committed herself to learning more about traditional astrology. She soon became an expert in her own right ? she was capable of arguing with the best, and generously shared her knowledge and opinions with those who asked for help and advice on astrological technique.

From what I understand, Sue battled against the odds for most of her life. I once suggested that she should commit her life story as a testimony against 12th house issues, but she declined, saying she was far too ?12th house? to do so. She was not only a great friend but also a great inspiration to me - often taking the trouble to ?pick me up? when she sensed that I was down and in need of a morale boost.

Sue was very well educated. She had a degree in homeopathy and recently completed a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in history and philosophy; and a Masters degree in the history of astrology and religious thought in the Middle Ages and Renaissance periods. She was pursuing a doctorate in Classics, History and Religion when she died, and was likely to become a major force in the understanding of the philosophical principles of ancient and medieval astrology, worldwide.

I am too upset to say more at the moment, except that I know that Sue committed herself in total dedication to this forum ? she often told me not to worry because she always kept herself open to the forum whilst she was awake, so that, if someone needed help, she would be there quickly. I have to leave in the morning for a conference that I know Sue would have encouraged me to go to. If you have benefited from Sue?s words, please leave a message of your sorrow at her passing, or the solace that she brought you. Or please just join me in your prayers for Sue, in gratitude for what she gave out to others.

The details that I have been told of her death are that last Saturday, whilst ill with pneumonia, she had a cough that she couldn't seem to shake. On Saturday evening, she went to a friend's room at college feeling unwell and had a coughing fit. Apparently she was coughing up blood. She was unconscious by the time the ambulance arrived. Sue's family was comforted by the fact that she was not alone when she died..

The funeral is to be held in Brisbane at 10am on 16th Feb. Please think of her then. I believe that Sue would have been happy for others to analyse her astrological data, so I am presenting it below.

Deb
Last edited by Deb on Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deb, I am so sorry about your dear friend's passing. It is impossible to prepare for the awful impact of a loved one's death, even when one is expecting it -- and it is especially shocking when the end comes so quickly, following on many illnesses and recoveries. I will indeed offer prayers for Sue, now and on the day of her funeral.

Sue

Coming out of lurking, I too would like to offer my sincere condolences having met Sue at the very same conference and talk that you are talking about. Sue was a member of Linda Reid's list many years ago and having made a connection with her, my family visited her on a trip to Brisbane. I can't speak highly enough of her and know that the astrological world has lost yet another great inspirational thinker.

Rest in peace Sue

Tracey

Sue

Dear Deb,

Although I personally met Sue only through this forum and only very recently, barely more than a few months ago in fact, when I began to participate more regularly on the message boards here, she impressed me deeply as someone with a calling not only to seek a thorough knowledge and understanding of the history and practice of astrology, but also to impart that same knowledge and understanding freely and generously to all others who should, in crossing her path however accidentally, show a genuine interest in seeking them also. And there was an overriding sense of both wisdom and compassion that came through in her words, which endeared me to her as a human being.

To say that I am shocked and saddened by this news would be a serious understatement. I am sure that for those of you who have met her in person or corresponded with her for longer periods of time, the shock and sadness will be felt more deeply still.

Yet I am grateful that I was able to make contact with her here, however briefly, and to be inspired by her as an excellent example of a scholarly researcher and teacher, as well as in her entirely individual qualities as a person.

I wish you peace and comfort in your hours, days, weeks and months of grieving your dear friend.

Very best wishes,

Philip

This is not the kind of news I wanted to hear first thing this morning. I was wondering about Sue since I mentioned Bonatti in a post the other day, and thought for sure the name of her favorite astrologer would have brought her out of hiding. I then thought she was simply too busy pursuing her PhD. This is devastating.

I never met Sue, although she tried to entice me to bring my wife to Australia on more than one occasion. It is a trip we would both love to make. We had our battles on this forum, and as much as it galled me, I think she got the better of me most of the time (and of course I would never admit it). It never became personal, though, as the many private e-mails would attest. Her knowledge and understanding was first rate and I often thought and still think there are many well known astrologers making a living at this that could have learned a great deal from Sue Toohey.

Not too long ago she expressed some distress about a personal thing and I gently chided her that I thought Aussies were tough. She quickly responded that Aussies are tough (they are) and she brought herself out of her funk. She mentioned her illnesses once or twice, and I now recall that she expressed some concern less than six months ago, but assured me she would be fine. She could fight it. She was going to get that PhD.

I believed her, and because of this, I was shocked this morning when I read the news. She will be sorely missed on this forum, of course, but there is a greater loss. We lost a good person, full of life and courage, and a good example to follow. There aren't enough of those people, and each one we lose leaves an empty place in our hearts.

RIP

Tom

Deb, I'm so sorry. What a dreadful shock for you and for all of us on the forum. I know you and Sue had a great friendship, and it won't be the same here without her. I was always impressed by the wealth of her knowledge; and her down to earth style and sense of humour made all her posts so very 'readable' and enjoyable. Thank you, Sue.

Ficina

I was stunned and very saddened to read of Sue's passing. I found Skyscript over three years ago and immediately knew that I had found the right place. The voices of Deb, Tom and Sue discussing, arguing and joking were of a quality that I hadn?t seen anywhere else. One of those voices will no longer take part, but there is a large written legacy here that we can revisit.

It's hard to imagine the horary forum without Sue?s frequent contributions and encouragement regarding horary questions ? or discouragement if she felt that that's what the chart was calling for. She was no starry-eyed astrologer; her feet were firmly planted. How I enjoyed arguing with Sue! Sometimes I felt that she was too traditional, but in my exchanges with her I came to realize that her feet were firmly planted for a reason, and that the onus was on me to thoroughly learn the traditional concepts, philosophy and methods before criticizing and rejecting them. Sue never knew it, but she played a major part in my setting a higher astrological standard for myself. Maybe she knows now.

Kirk wrote:
I found Skyscript over three years ago and immediately knew that I had found the right place. The voices of Deb, Tom and Sue discussing, arguing and joking were of a quality that I hadn?t seen anywhere else. One of those voices will no longer take part, but there is a large written legacy here that we can revisit.
In fact Kirk says here what I wanted say too. When I read here a couple of days ago that Sue has passed away, I searched some posts of her on the Philosophy & Science forum and printed them out to read with thought. Her range of knowledge was incomparable and it's a really sad loss for the whole community. Reading those posts I realized again, how important it is to have people among us who have really studied things also outside astrology: philosophy, history, religion. Sue's standards were high and in that she really was an example to follow.

Sad news.

It?s hard to understand the concept of time when it comes about death. It isn?t that we must live forever. The question is: why now? It?s about something that it is beyond us.

But, as it is custom to say in my country:
Our beloved deads are watching over us, and comfort our soul in times of sorrow.

So let?s bring light! so that she can pass easily.
Last edited by sasha_i on Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I tend to resort to poetry at such times, so from my book

Death you are too familiar.
you walk too often accross my path.
Your jealous nature frightens me.
Your trail leads me down sorrowful paths.
Why are you so often present?
Why do you tread the path so heavy
laden with broken hearts & lives?
Why not let life play out?
Why come so often into my life?
You wear out your welcome
and like unwelcome family,
I cannot tell you to leave.
Come when you are bidden,
not when life is full.
Come when you are needed,
not when death is cruel.
Come when life is spent,
when death is love
When death is peace.
Come softly BH

and from Christine Rossetti

When I am dead my dearest
sing no sad songs for me,
Plant thou no roses at my head,
nor shady cypress tree,
be the green grass above me
with showers of dew drops wet,
and if thou wilt remember
and if thou wilt forget...

I have not been able to come on skycript for some months so to log on and discover this news is quite traumatic. What an utterly tragic loss.

I think Kirk has already encapsulated much of what I was thinking. The troika of Deb, Tom and Sue debating away was also one of the features that first attracted me to skyscript. Since first starting to post on this site in 2005 I always found Sue an extremely generous person who was always willing to sacrifice her time for a horary or to answer some some deep issue of astrological philosophy or history. I loved the way she could so expertly combine theory and practice. Her contributions were always exceptionally well researched and deeply considered.

I am deeply saddened by this news and know that the whole astrological community is diminished by the loss of such a promising authority. I feel the most meaningful tribute I can can give to Sue is to strive to be a better informed astrologer ,not just in astrology itself , but in the whole classical history and philosophy it arose from. This was something Sue passionately advocated and practised. Thankyou Sue for all you have given us. You are deeply missed and will not be forgotten.

May you know peace

Mark