Exaltation Degree.

Does anyone know why it is that a planet is considered to be particularly exalted upon a certain degree of it's exaltation sign?

How is it that these degree's of exaltation came to be ascribed as such?

Can a planet which is upon it's very degree of exaltation be considered to be on a temporary par with being in domicile? I ask this because generally summing up the strength of a planet's dignity, exaltation is given 4 points, but is there no extra point for being upon it's very degree of exaltation?

I can answer part of your question. I read that at the time the exaltation degrees were determined, that degree is where the planet either reappeared after its time of being invisable or where it dissappeared. Those degrees would be different know, I would assume, because of precession.

Somewhere else I read that 3 Taurus exalts the Moon because it is the 33rd degree, that of the master, or Ma-ster, mother star. Actually, I would divide the word with M for matter which means mother (See Virgo and Scorpios' glyph) with ester-aster-star. This may be true because 33 is a master number known as the martyr. What greater sacrifice can one give than to give our own body that a new life can develope and be born.
http://www.aquarianessence.com

Draco,

Here are three views:

http://www.astronor.com/exaltations.htm
The Origin of the Planetary Exaltations - their Signs and Degrees
By Andrew J. Bevan

http://www.edkohout.com/mundane/earthday-02.html
Earth Day, Easter and the Exaltations of the Luminaries
By Edward Kohout

In the latter one, references are made to Cyril Fagan's and Rupert Gleadow's work on this.

In his monumental Recent Advances, Geoffrey Dean also mentions the work of Fagan (i.e. tying the origin of exaltation degrees to astronomical phenomena in 786-785 BC), and, in his typical style, uses this as an argument for dismissing the entire scheme.

My own research, entirely unrelated to the above, may mysteriously connect to the exaltation degrees in an unexpected way, but it's too early to say anything substantial about this.
Peter

Re: Exaltation Degree.

How is it that these degree's of exaltation came to be ascribed as such?
It's a numerical sequence based on multiples of the number six: six fives (15 + 15 = 30), six sevens (18 + 3 + 21 = 42), and six nines (27 + 27 = 54). Note also that Venus and Mars, in opposition by domicile, are in sextile by exaltation; Mercury and Jupiter, in opposition by domicile, are in sextile by exaltation; Saturn and the luminaries retain their opposition both by domicile and exaltation. There are other patterns evident in the arrangement; see if you can tease them out yourself! ;-)

In judgement the Exaltion Degrees perform like the planets themselves. Get them into your charts!

The exaltation degree of Mars brings things to a boil. In 28 Capricorn - competition, drive, lust, controversy, a project. In 28 Cancer - a domestic conflict, infection, abuse. 28 Libra - an arguement, being the witness to violence. 28 Aries [square through signs of short ascension] - self-assertion, danger, bold action, competition.

The exaltation degree of the Moon - fame, dignity, strength of health, a healing [Chiron was discovered here]. The fall of the Moon at 3 Scorpio - a depression or disease. The exaltation of Mercury - an announcement, good news or business. In 15 Pisces - fraud, lie or trouble in business.

The exaltation degree of Jupiter is a blessing, a journey or success in ventures. The fall of Jupiter offers a warning of financial exposiure but also represented a journey and education taken in a underdeveloped country. The fall degree of Jupiter may represent fallen trees or a church of ill reputation.

The exaltation degree of the Sun often represents someone born under Leo, but I also had the significator representing a gentleman from France (Leo). The fall often shows trouble with men or authority.

The fall degree of Venus is significant in changes made to interest rates. It is the price to pay for taking things out into existance. You may quote me on that!

Apply the exaltation degrees when making directions - or better still, rap your head into the Age Point Technique: www.astronor.com/apfp.htm The Norwegian Prime Minister Bondevik had is Solar Age Point (which may be applyed where the birthtime is unknown) across 3 Scorpio, the fall of the Moon. The Prime Minister took several months leave - because of depression.
http://www.astronor.com