hi Haku
Congratulations on the completion of your manuscpit.
If I were you, the first thing I 'd look at among other things would be a nice applying aspect between the lord one and the lord ten and the reception between them. The publisher is a sort of your employer(they are the one who are going to pay you).
You may disageree with this but I wish you good luck!

On her website, Mary Shea posts an example of an electional chart for sending a manuscript to a publisher. Although I don't believe she is a traditional astrologer, her discussion of the chart is quite good. She does use the 10th house, not the seventh.

hi sue

i reflected on that, but decided to choose the 3d house rather than the 9th, because it is not about a serious, big book, but about a tiny book that's a collection of short, light magazine-style comical pieces. maybe the difference 3d house publications - 9th house publications is modern and was not made in traditional astrology, i don't know that, but then there were no magazines in the middle ages. :)

Surely the 10th would be an important house as it represents those who have power over you, be it an employer, boss or king... and you're sending it off in the hopes the publisher would be interested in it? So the power is in the hands of another, as a superior, not as an equal (7th house would be your equal). So you would want Lord 10 to have reception with the significator of you and/or the manuscript, showing them liking the work. An aspect would be good too, if you can manage it. Even if this is not your career, as you say, it is still your work and you are looking for a reward :) Just my thoughts.

I agree with Sue that publishing is the 9th house and I don't think it matters what you're publishing. Perhaps the 3rd would represent magazine articles, but not books. I think the Moon on the 3rd shows your desire to communicate with your readers and the trine to Jupiter is nice to see in this context. Jupiter is also natural significator of publishing.

Saturn rules both 9 and 10 so I think it's an important player. You are Mercury retrograde refraining from aspecting Saturn and out of orb in any case, so no contact is made between you and Saturn. Mercury is combust and peregrine as well as retrograde. I don't think this is such a good time to promote success in publishing something, but it does show your heartfelt desire to communicate with your potential readers, and on this basis you should certainly try to publish. But my advice would be to cool your jets until Mercury goes direct, as Mercury is natural significator of writing and writers.

Why do you think there were no magazines in the Middle ages? periodicles have been arround almost since the printing press. Gutenberg really started a whole new economy with his little copy machine...

There were no periodicals in early middle ages nor in ancient times. but in either case, I'm afraid I'd agree with sue, small or large, 9th house would be the house I'd use. for some other references, perhaps you might look at the submittal times for some famous books? there are all kinds of stories out there on that topic. Harry Potter for instance. WAs rejected the first go round.

Granny