Hi Trojan,
It makes sense to try all of the methods used by Lilly and others, though examples from the 'others' are thin on the ground.
Timing is not easy and I don't know of any reliable method. To satisfy yourself test every method you know thoroughly and see what the results are. That's about the best I can say.

Maurice.

Quick question about aspects applying to the ASC (or any angle). Does Venus at 27 Libra apply to a 29 Sag ASC? Intuitively I took it to be an applying aspect, yet the ASC - in real time - moves faster than Venus ...

Can anyone help me with this please? The crux of my judgment rests on this.

Hi Pete,
Recently in the AA Journal, July/August 2006, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 5-14, I wrote an article on this very subject....

...If you can get a copy of that issue you may find the article helpful. Otherwise what I have said here regarding prohibition and frustration still stands.
Hi Maurice,
I'm not a member of the A.A. so unfortunately it looks like I won't get to see your article or your response to Graeme Tobyn.
Regarding the terms 'Prohibition' and 'Frustration'. I looked up the definition of 'Prohibit' and 'Frustrate' on Dictionary.com and this is what I found:

"Prohibit": to forbid, prevent, hinder.
"Frustrate": to disappoint, thwart, nullify.

Now it seems to me that there is very little difference in these definitions so regardless of whether Lilly's method of defining Frustration or the one that you advocate is correct, I think that in real terms the end result is the same: the desire of Venus to perfect her conjunction to the Sun is prevented, thwarted and nullified by the Sun's conjunction to Mars. In terms of the horary, the open rival is rushing to connect with whoever is signified by the Sun (co-ruler of 9th), but the Sun will have none of it and reaches the querent first. The question is, why is the Sun rushing to the querent? Mars has been captured by the Sun's rays and is being "burned up" so to speak, but if this is preventing the open rival from reaching the querent then surely this is a good thing ultimately, for shortly after being cazimi, Mars accrues dignity, triplicity and term in Scorpio. In other words, Mars is totally transformed. Venus follows both of them into Scorpio but she immediately loses all power to act by entering her detriment. She might turn nasty but there's nothing she can do any longer.

The question was "Will I leave my present job?" and we see Mercury, L.10 in the 1st, dignifying Mars and about to conjoin Jupiter, L.2. My client says she has recently joined the teachers union to try to solicit some help, and I consider Jupiter (L.2) to signify the union (2nd is the house of those who can help the querent). This might show some kind of meeting between union and management over this issue.
The Moon - co-ruling the querent - is in Virgo in 10th, ruling the 9th (teaching) and applying to trine Mercury and then Jupiter.

My judgement is that she should stay in her present job and ride out the storm as she is about to enter a position of much greater strength and influence in the situation and the actions of her former friend and now rival (Venus L.11, 7 & 12) will soon have little if any effect. The union may well be in a position to help her out and she may even get some kind of promotion or pay increase ( Mercury L.10 applying to conjoin L.2 ). She is in fact far more highly qualified than her rival.

I'm sticking my neck out a little and I know it, so before I pass on my judgemjent I'd welcome any comments or advice.

cheers,
Pete

Does Venus at 27 Libra apply to a 29 Sag ASC? Intuitively I took it to be an applying aspect, yet the ASC - in real time - moves faster than Venus ...
Alanna,
in this situation Venus is applying to the Ascendant, as it is in the earlier degree. Bear in mind though that the Ascendant is *very* late and that alone should have some bearing on your judgement.

Mark,
thanks for posting the Frawley article. I hadn't seen it and now I'm more clear as to his stance on timing. Interesting stuff...

cheers...
Pete

Thanks, Pete. But in regard to my question about Venus at 27 Libra applying to ASC 29 Sag ... it is true that Venus is in an earlier degree but if, for instance, Mars at 27 Libra were seemingly applying to Venus at 29 Sag (to give an example) ... Mars would be at the earlier degree, but would NOT be applying because Venus is the faster planet. The ASC moves more quickly than Venus, so does this apply in the Venus/ASC situation as well? Simply being in an earlier degree doesn't make an aspect applying if the earlier degree planet moves move slowly than the later degree planet. In that case, the aspect is separating. So I'm still wondering about the answer to my question.
In regard to the late ASC, it fits the symbolism of the question to be on the brink of change so I didn't take it as a stricture against judgment, but thanks for the heads up.

Hi Alanna,
you raise an interesting point. I have to say I've never seen any examples in C.A. or elsewhere where an applying aspect to an angle was considered irrelevant on this premise. As far as I'm concerned the planet applies to the angle by symbolic measure. Contrary to aspects between planets, the angles don't move to escape the application, as a planet might.

Just my two-pence worth...

cheers,
Pete

Thanks Pete. I have a feeling the angles are treated as static points too. Far from being irrelevant, however, this Venus application to the angle is highly relevant to the question as it rules the 10th and the question is about applying for a new job. If 10th ruler applies to sextile ASC (the querent) this looks like a yes to the question to me.

Hi Pete,

Yes, I can imagine how you must be feeling like you?re sticking your neck out. This is a hard one. Initially I felt you were putting too much of a positive spin on the combust state of Mars (by looking ahead to when it later experiences cazimi and then enters its own sign). I personally wouldn?t allow any recognition of the cazimi state, because Mars isn?t in that condition now and the fact that it will be later is part and parcel of being combust. I do agree that there is a promise of better days for Mars rather than Venus with this change of sign, but will it come in time to help this present situation, given that Mars is also very weak in the 12th house? Ordinarily I wouldn?t think so, but we have that support from the Moon so that probably would have budged me to the same position you?ve taken: to hang on if she can. There seems to be some financial benefit for her in the application of the Moon to the conjunction of Mercury (job) and Jupiter (2nd-ruler) in the first.

Alanna,

On your issue I agree with what Pete has written. I don?t recall any historical example where timing derived from application to cusps or angles was used by anything other than symbolic measure (the angles and cusps being seen as fixed for the time of the chart). I don?t think Pete was suggesting this is irrelevant (the opposite in fact), and of course Lilly put a lot of emphasis upon perfection shown by application from a significator to the relevant cusp.

I also want to say that I liked the definition Maurice gave earlier about frustration being caused by a significator and prohibition being caused by a non-significator. That seems very logical to me.

Yes you're right, Deb, re-reading Pete's response I see he didn't imply the aspect was irrelevant at all. Apologies for misunderstanding, Pete and thanks to both of you for your help in clarifying my understanding.

Hi Pete,

There are special astrological meanings for the words frustration and prohibition apart from the meanings you listed. The Oxford English Dictionary has a category for prohibition but not frustration even though they have used Lilly?s Christian Astrology and Wilson?s Dictionary as sources.

The OED says that prohibition (listed as number 5 of 6 categories) is, ??in Astronomy it is, when two planets are applying to Conjunction, or Aspect, and before they come to joyn themselves, another comes to conjunction, or Aspect to the planet applied to?. The source is given as 1658 Phillips, The new world of English words; or, a general dictionary.

By using the normal meanings of the words frustration and prohibition it looks like there is no difference between them, but the astrological meanings show that they are completely different.

You originally gave Mars as significator of the querent and Venus as significator of the rival. Therefore Venus is desirous of perfecting a conjunction with Mars and not with the Sun, because here the Sun is not a significator, it is an outsider. The Sun interferes with the Venus/Mars perfection by perfecting the conjunction with Mars before Venus can reach Mars; this is prohibition. This shows that some person or event of the nature of the Sun will prevent the querent and quesited coming together for whatever purpose. This person or force is outside of the control of Venus and Mars, there is nothing they can do about it and it is not their fault.

Hope this helps.

Maurice.