Job choice: which house for each?

This is a horary to try and help decide whether to follow the litigation career track or operational law career track in military law. In litigation I would do criminal courts-martial, possibly ending in appellate law and maybe becoming a military judge. In op law, I would advise military commanders on rules of engagement, legality of various weapon systems, environmental law issues in the sea etc.

So here is the chart:
the ascendant is in scorpio, making my significator mars. which unfortunately is combust and in detriment in libra in the eleventh house (my natal mars is also in libra, conj. pluto (wide orb) in the 7th house) Maybe feeling a bit overpowered (the sun) I have *just* begun this new career, and a bit overwhelmed at teh thought of life as public servant, the eleventh house collective.

But now what houses for the two career paths? Perhaps the 9th house is litigation, as it's more traditional law? But then it's criminal law, should that be the 12th house? I'm not sure which way to assign this.

OK, the Ascendant is Scorpio. There are no planets in the 1st house proper, but Jupiter is in close enough to the Asc to be angular; this is apt as it is a question about lawyer-ing and the law. Jupiter will have some signification for the querent (you), but as it rules only the 4th house, I judge that Jupiter more determines the end of the matter; thus, the end of the matter lies with the querent. You're the one who's going to decide what career track you will take. I figure this should be obvious, but I'm being pedantic. Mercury is also in the sign of the 1st, but this I think means more the future deeds/career that you are contemplating; it is cadent, meaning that this career won't be opening up to you for a while, as you've yet to get the education for it. (I'm using Alchabitius houses, by the way, while looking simultaneously at the whole signs positions.)

As Scorpio is an aquatic sign ruled by Mars, I wonder if you are in the Navy?

I've yet to get to a significator for the querent. Now, Mars is the ruler of the Asc and would be the first on the list. However, he is combust and in detriment, and he doesn't aspect the Asc. Mars in Libra is extremely indecisive, and is blinded by the Sun, the 9th house ruler; so the querent can'l make up their mind about the career tracks. Mars is not in a position to do anything about it. So we move on to the Moon. She is in dignity of rulership and does aspect the Asc sign by trine. So, we'll let the Moon be the significator of the querent.

Being in the 8th house isn't good for the Moon, but then again, it shows the troubled state of mind of the querent. It is also in the 9th sign from the Asc, so again there is an emphasis on the law. Her first application is going to Venus. Now, this I think will mean that the native will decide on the criminal track. I say this because Venus rules the 12th sign from the Asc, which deals with prisons and prisoners and so forth. Also, Venus is in Libra, which I think points to judging. The querent may also first speak to a female friend about the matter, someone who knows about this subject.

The Moon is in the duodecima of Sagittarius, in which the 2nd house cusp lies, I wonder if there is a financial consideration underlying this decision?
Gabe

This is a difficult one - because you asked an either or question- not easy to answer in horary unless you have at least an initial preferred favourite outcome. So at first I struggled to find suitable houses for the options. Then I had a brain wave. And a radical departure from the normal horary approach. Instead of starting with the houses I started with the planets as the options. So here goes.

I took the mercury jupiter conjunction in scopio to represent the advisory role - as it involves analysis of the law and giving information to the commanders. I used saturn in detriment in leo in 9th for the litigation role which will involve giving judgement.

So then I looked at your significators. Mars makes no aspect to jupiter and mercury - although they are in his sign, but mars also separates from sextile to saturn and the sun will not translate the light. So it looks like you almost choose this option but then not. I think perhaps its attraction to you is the status involved - but with saturn in detriment this may turn out to be less an asset than you think.

The moon on the other hand makes no aspect to saturn but is trining jupiter mercury . Furthermore the MC is ruled by mercury so I think that the chart is trying to tell you to choose the advisory role. However you are not sure about the choice because it hides you away in the 12th house. My feeling is that since mercury rules 10th and jupiter the 2nd your overall outcome will be better with this choice in the longer term

nope, both pay identically. But yes, it is Navy!

Amelia, I think is on to something with her assignments. One thing I hadn't noticed, but became glaringly obvious when Amelia gave her insight...the merc/jupiter connection is a. in a watery house and sign and this is a naval officer's career! and also, the 12th house is the house of prisons, possibly suggesting the criminal law track, but I would have very little involvement with actual prison management. If i did go to the brig it would be to drop off paperwork and leave quickly. But the 12th is ALSO the house of secrets. And scorpio is a very secretive sign to boot. In the operational law job I would be out of the spotlight and dealing a lot more behind the scenes with confidential info and special operations.

thanks to both! I'll be sure to keep you posted. FYI right now my first tour will be in criminal law, as that's where all new navy jags go. But during that tour I will probably go to Iraq.