Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Hide the Evidence
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ficina

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Hide the Evidence Reply with quote

Following a very unpleasant losing run on the horses and the footie, I'd like to report a success Very Happy

Hide the Evidence won at 7/1, beating the 11/10 favourite and 16 other horses. I picked this one purely for Mercury's entry into Scorpio today. Mercury was also in 8th house of race chart.

Venus's entry into Libra on Saturday was not so productive, although New Girlfriend (66/1) put up a good show and only just missed being amongst the first three home out of a field of 14.

Onwards and upwards......
AlexMc

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ficina,

Congrats on your Hide the Evidence win! Outstanding considering the odds. Thumbs up

I am totally new at Sport and Speculation but determined to learn. I was wondering about Venusí combustion when she entered Libra (and your New Girlfriend pick). In your experience, do you think the Sun overpowered Venus (on the field) even though Venus was dignified (strong showing despite 66/1) and Sun Libra was detrimented? Iím also curious to know the names of the first three home ahead of New Girlfriend.

OTOH, you had a win with Hide the Evidence by basing your choice on Mercuryís entry into Scorpio that day. I noticed that Mercury, unlike Venus, was not under beams and had entered a sign occupied by Jupiter. Is any of this relevant or am I just having newbie racetrack delusions?

Jupiter will enter Sagittarius soon (at long last Jupiter in major dignity, maybe we will all feel some relief Lala Happy ) but it will be combust Tongue Out . In the week prior to Jupiter entering Sag, both Venus and the Sun will go into Sag. Again, Venus will be combust (within 8 degrees of Sun) but in a different sign from the Sun (Lilly would say no longer combust) and separating (not applying as before, when she entered Libra).

I would be very interested to hear what you and others think. I will also start watching the races on those sign change days to see what happens here.
Ficina

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex, thanks for your interest Smile

That's a good point about combust Venus. It took me a while to root this out and I'm not sure how illuminating it is but the first three home in that race were Caradak, Welsh Emperor and Linngari.

Not so sure if Jupiter was helpful to Mercury or not. I haven't found Jupiter in Scorpio to be of much use at all. As you say, hopefully things will improve when it gets into Sag, once it escapes combustion of course.

Quote:
I will also start watching the races on those sign change days to see what happens here.

Yes, that will be interesting. Also check the "Aspect du Jour". For example Rabbit won at 9/1 when Mercury was aspecting Jupiter. For those that don't know, rabbit is a slang term meaning to talk excessively.

Oh, and when Venus went into Virgo, Ragdale Hall won at 33/1. Ragdale Hall is a health spa where you go to get pampered Very Happy

Cheers,
Ficina
AlexMc

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ficina,

Thank you for 'rooting' out those winners for me - I agree the names were not illuminating, however, that fact alone was illuminating to me as a speculation novice. I also appreciate the 'aspect du jour' tip. I have been researching that one and will report back if I find anything of interest Very Happy

Best regards,
Alex
Gina

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ficina,
I found your posts re winners fascinating. 'Hide the Evidence' very Scorpionic.
Now I need to know more. Laughing What is the set-up and rules of the chart in horse racing? And what do I need to look out for?
I'm off for the moment to look up yesterday's paper!

Best wishes,
Gina
Ficina

Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina, good to have another enthusiast on board Smile

There are various methods around for judging race charts, but the way I do it is to look out for any planet conjunct an angle, particularly the MC. And as I said before, keep in mind the aspect du jour if there is one and also any planet that has just changed sign.

For the Merc/Mars conjunction in Scorpio today I only spotted one horse and that was Catch Me. It ended up being the odds on favourite so not worth backing, but it did win.

Good Luck!
Ficina
Gina

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ficina, will be glued to racing pages next week.
I remember, a few years back now, reading an article whereby you erected the chart for a particular time and place of race. But this way seems simpler in theory....but time will tell.
Will keep you posted. Laughing
Many thanks,
Gina
Ficina

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Gina, I guess I didn't explain it very well. I do of course erect a chart for the time and place of each race. That's where I look first for planets conjunct angles. Most days there isn't a planet changing sign and quite often not an aspect du jour so you have to see what stands out (if anything) in the particular race chart.

Cheers,
Ficina
Gina

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! yep I decided to do that after all Ficina....seemed like the obvious thing.
I wrote a few runners down I thought sounded interesting against the charts. "The Miner" was one that stood out for me although Pluto not conjunct Mc but in 9th and Sag so good position and sign for horse racing. Came second at 11/2 so not good for betting....but it gave me a bit of a thrill.
Early days for me yet Ficina.
Regards,
Gina.
Andrew Bevan

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexMc says: "Consider the odds!"
That is a terrific statement. Never forget it. To get something wrong is easy, but to get something right can be very difficult.
Ficina

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck Gina, hope you didn't have any money on it! I backed Only Vintage to win yesterday, Moon in Leo conj Desc (Moon shows favourite) but it ended up being joint favourite and guess what? The other horse won - very annoying Laughing

Andrew, if getting it right were easy I think it would be very boring. No challenge and no fun Wink
Gina

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ficina...no, no money has left my hands as yet....too much of a novice at the moment.
Having said that, I marked off two horses yesterday (only because I recognised them as being 'martian') Red Contact and Elusive Warrior.
Out of the two I would have chosen Elusive Warrior because of Mars being in Scorpio...both on the Descent. Mind you, Mars was conjunct Mercury so Red Contact just as much an option.
R.Contact won at 3/1
E.Warrior 2nd 20/1
Would have made a nice little each-way double. Very Happy

A couple of questions Ficina....which House system do you use?
And did you go for Only Vintage because Saturn being near to Moon?
I'm sure John Frawley has written something about horse racing and speculation, any idea?

Regards,
Gina.

Ficina

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina, excellent choices there for an E/W double, yes Thumbs up

To answer your questions. I use Topocentric house system. Re Only Vintage, yes, Saturn was near the Moon but I liked Leo for vintage wine being best or superior. Also my friend informed me that the horse's Sun in Aries was trine the racechart Moon and she liked Neptune conj Asc for the alcohol!

I went to a talk John Frawley gave many years ago and he mentioned a method he used for the horses. I think he said he took the planet ruling 5th and then looked at the planet it was applying to, even by minor aspect. And he used Campanus house system. Whether I've remembered this correctly and whether he still uses this method, I can't be sure.

Some people use the jockey's colours to get the winner. Personally I haven't had much success with this in the past but I did take another look at it a few days ago. Interestingly Lilly assigns colours to houses as well as signs and planets. For example, 9th house is green and white. So I spotted a racechart that had L10 Jupiter on 9th cusp and the winning jockey's colours were green and white! The horse was called Moon over Miami and this name fitted with Moon applying by trine to Jupiter in 9th. It won at 16/1. Maybe the colour thing was just a fluke but you never know....

Cheers,
Ficina
Andrew Bevan

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once put my money on a horse called "Annica's Eagle" competing in the firtst race of six. Venus was in Scorpio in the Ascendant. The post attendant who accepted my coupen had a good laugh because he and his mates regulary did the horse races. In the first race they had guarded all 16 horses competing except "Annica's Eagle" that never had won anything or come anywhere in any race. The post attendants coupen correctly picked out the winners of 5 races - but in the first race the winner was "Annica's Eagle". Well, I guess if they'd bothered with a bit of astrology they could have walked away with a small fortune.
Gina

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ficina,
Have found the article by J.Frawley. Issue 10 of The Astrologer's Apprentice....Pegasus Rising.
The Campanus and fifth house cusp technique he ascribes to John Addey....apparently Addey had various accounts closed by the bookies, so he must have had a fair amount of success.
I know I've read another article somewhere, because as you say, emphasis is also placed on the jockey's colours.
I'm still not fully aware Ficina of your methods...although by being 'drip-fed' them is probably the best option for my fragile brain....by the way I loved your friend's take on Neptune con Asc for the alchohol....great!
Am just going to look at the Only Vintage chart and see how Addey's rules play out and then later how you 'read' it.
Bye for now Ficina,
Gina.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Sport and Speculation All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: