Hi Gina,

Ah, so it was Addey's method! And yes, I remember now Charles Harvey once mentioning that he was rather too successful as far as the bookies were concerned :lol: Do let me know how you get on with it.

I know that Sue Tompkins looks at jockey's colours. I'm sure she wrote an article on it once, maybe in the AA Journal? She looks at planets aspecting the Asc and she also takes Venus to show the favourite rather than the Moon.

I think I've covered all my methods but just to recap. Erect a chart for each race and look to see what stands out, particularly planets on angles. For every chart keep in mind the aspect du jour (if there is one) and any planet that has just changed sign. In the past I've also looked at horses' charts, jockeys' charts and even trainers' charts sometimes, just to see if they have any planets aspecting the angles or planets in the race chart. Obviously this is very time-consuming but can be useful as a deciding factor if you fancy two or more horses in the same race.

Cheers,
Ficina

Ficina
Thank you very much for the wonderful tips. Just one question... what does a planet changing sign mean?? Why is it significant? I'm not sure how you use it...

Hi Doublegem, you're very welcome to the tips :) I find your questions a little difficult to answer but I'll try. Planets don't change sign very often (apart from the Moon of course) so when they do I'd see it as something that stands out. First day in a new environment could compare to first day at a new school or first day in a new job. It's significant, so hopefully the symbolism will be shown by the name of a horse. Sometimes there won't be one and sometimes it doesn't work but it's something to look out for especially if there isn't anything else that stands out in the chart.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ficina

Thanks Ficina...but now you've opened up another avenue to explore! :-?
Horses, trainers and jockey's charts....I did wonder when you mentioned Only Vintage's Sun being in Aries.
So, I'm afraid another question....are these natal charts, and if so, where to look for birth information, esp the horses?
I can certainly see how time consuming it could be, but there must be times when a little perseverence can come up trumps. :D
I haven't had time to look at any 'charts' for two days...but did spot Lover's Kiss I think it was called won at 66/1. Can't wait to see if this horse showed it's presence in the chart.

regards,
Gina.

Hi Gina, you can get horses' DOBs from this website. You have to register but it's free. You can search any horse's name (top right on home page) and it brings up all the info. Unfortunately no DOBs for horses bred outside UK and Ireland and of course no times, although apparently most horses are born in the early hours of the morning.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk

Apropos of that, yonks ago I visted the Irish National Stud in Kildare and I held on to the visitors' guide leaflet in which it says:

"An interesting historical note worth mentioning here is that every time a foal was born Colonel Hall-Walker (the chap who started the stud farm back in 1900) would note the position of the moon and stars and cast the foal's horoscope. If the horoscope was favourable the foal would be kept and raced, but if unfavourable the foal would be sold regardless of how well it may have been bred. This system proved to be remarkably successful."

I've often wondered if these charts still exist but have never followed it up.

Venus into Sag today. Love Dubai won 13/2. Foxtrot Yankee (different race) 2nd 12/1.

Any joy with Lover's Kiss? Great price!

Cheers,
Ficina

Thanks for site details Ficina...and the notes re Col. Hall-Walker are very interesting! These charts would make fascinating reading....there must be ways and means of finding out if they are still out there somewhere.

I found that I'd bookmarked an article by Gary Price on astrology and
horseracing a few years back. Printed it out to read at leisure this
morning, but have to admit my eyes glazed over, it didn't strike a chord
with me. He deals mostly with the weight system....although he'll use
the naming method if all else fails.
One thing he does mention though that I thought was interesting, as
does John Frawley in his article, was the fact that races are sometimes late in starting.
To quote JF ...."This system is extremely time-sensitive, the
more so because of the number of objects and the triviality of the
aspects we are considering. (Addey used the most minor of aspects)
Any race going off more than a couple of minutes late is probably a lost
cause. This gives a built-in failure rate of 25%."

Ficina, I did try the Campanus 5th cusp system for Lover's Kiss 66/1
winner, but not with any success.
According to Addey, the first planet to which the 5th cusp makes an aspect is the winning horse. I made this Saturn in Leo in the 7th....?
With Topocentric, Venus in Scorpio (that's more like it) conjunct Mc (5 deg) and conjunct the Sun (4deg) Not sure if this was help or hindrance, (combust or sunbeams) although Sun is ruling 7th house.
Venus conjunct Jupiter (Zeus) the lover that has fascinated poets through the ages)
Or am I, with hindsight, trying to make it fit! :lol:
Did you have anything on Love Dubai/ Foxtrot Yankee?

Regards,
Gina.

Hi Gina,

The Gary Price weighting system sounds like Sepharial's Silver Key. It can only be used in handicaps of course and I did try it once upon a time but with little success. And it was rather tedious so I'm not surprised your eyes glazed over!

Re races going off late, the Grand National nearly always goes off late but the chart for the published race time seems to work OK. I guess it might have an adverse effect on certain methods though, as your quote from JohnF suggests.

I suppose it is easy to make things fit with hindsight but if it gives you some pointers for the future then it's always useful :)

And no, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to put any money on those two horses. Ho hum.......

That is a fantastic site Ficina....thanks.
So now that I'm able to see the race cards in advance, there's every chance money will be 'leaving' my hands should I come across something interesting! :lol:
Another thought about the Venus/Jupiter conjunction for L/K....maybe Jupiter signified the fantastic odds.
Anyway, thanks for all your help Ficina.....shall report if I have any luck.

Regards,
Gina.

You're very welcome to the help, Gina, and I'm glad you found the site useful. I expect you realised, but just in case you didn't, when you're looking at the race cards you can click on a horse and its details come up.

I thought the site had a racing commentary that you can listen to but I can't see it now, just the video stuff. To be honest, I haven't used that site for a while cos I prefer the Sporting Life site, mainly because it has all the footie as well. But it also has a Racing Radio and it's quite fun to listen to the racing commentaries live.

Anyway, best of luck and keep us posted on your successes :D

Cheers,
Ficina

This is not at all my area of expertise. But a few weeks ago I was gripped by the look of a horse ( she looked up for winning - I can't explain it, she just did) on TV just before a race and had to watch to see if it would win. It did. I have finally got round to checking out the horse's chart from the site you referenced and thought others might be interested.

Details are: Arm Candy Newmarket 15.45 28 Oct 2006
She had transiting jupiter trine transiting north node which was conjunct her natal sun that day, and a transiting mars/sun/venus conjunction trine her mars.

I also took a peek at a chart for a race tomorrow (2 dec) which looked interesting. Sandown 3.10. Taurus rises, Capricorn is on MC-but both venus and capricorn are a bit debilitated in the chart. Mars however is strong on the decendent, conjunct an equally strong jupiter.
So I selected some names ( Rosecliffe, Self respect, and maybe Miss Academy) that seemed to fit the venus saturn theme and checked out their charts ( BTW Despite being an astrological believer I'm still amazed how the charts fit the names :D )

Then some that might fit the mars/jupiter theme ( this was harder) - Verasi, Fenix and Guru - who it turned out all ran this race last year ( Verasi won).

Now I want to see which do better. I probably won't place any bets - lack of any experience in this area precludes such a risk, but I will post the result and my thoughts on it.

Hi Amelia,

Those were great transits for Arm Candy :D

Re tomorrow's race, Mars certainly stands out on the Desc and you've picked out some interesting names. I'd probably go for Guru simply because Tony McCoy is on board, lol!

I won't be around tomorrow to watch the race on TV, but do let us know how it turns out.

Good luck!
Ficina

Well clearly I am better at picking horses just by looking at them than via astrological analysis. None of the above mentioned horses were even placed. :-sk To be fair though the professsional tipsters also tipped many of them too so I don't feel a complete failure. I wasn't surprised by the lack of success of the first batch of venus/saturn types - as I mentioned both planets were relatively debilitated. The Mars/Jupiter selection I really expected more from.... Ah well I'll stick to what I know in future.

The winner, incidentally, was Overstrand (9 may 1999)- a horse that won the same race in 2003. Astrological signification of this name I struggle with?