Horary versus Free will

I as an astrologer am totaly convinced that our art is an authentic tool for seeing into the future. However, recently I began to realize that if horary astrology does indeed work as I KNOW it does then the idea of free will surely doesn't exist. We cannot have both; it is either one or the other. So free will is an illusion. Ok so we are the authors of this script, we have decided prior to our physical reality here what will happen in our lives. This also means that we cannot change anything as any choices we make in the present was what we meant to do anyway. This is troubling me at the moment as it would any Libran Sun individual. Anyone care to join me in dialogue? I would very much appreciate some imput.

Stan :???:

Re: Horary versus Free will

stanstar wrote: ....However, recently I began to realize that if horary astrology does indeed work as I KNOW it does then the idea of free will surely doesn't exist. We cannot have both; it is either one or the other. So free will is an illusion. Ok so we are the authors of this script, we have decided prior to our physical reality here what will happen in our lives. This also means that we cannot change anything as any choices we make in the present was what we meant to do anyway.

Stan :???:
Yes, we can have both. We deal with fate every day, it's the nature of the material plane:
- things are always changing without our having conscious influence on the change, i.e., "fate";
- we can make choices within the limits of those changes, i.e., "free will".

As an example, as you approach a busy intersection in your car, it may be your fate that the traffic light turns red. At that point you have a choice: do you go through anyway or do you stop?

As Carl Jung said, "I have free will so I may gladly do what I must."

That's my take on it. I hope we can get more input.

Ron

i believe astrology shows us the boundaries within which we can exercize free will.

regardless of astrology, there always is a factor of fate: if you are born in an aristocratic family or in a poor family, it does make a huge difference. but within the given set of elements you were dropped in, you can exercize free will.

astrology - both via horary charts and via natal charts - helps us to get a clearer vision on the cards that were dealt to us, and hence it enhances our capacity to exercize free will within those limits.

I don?t think horary is about predicting what is going to happen to us anyway. I think it is about giving us the bigger picture on what has happened and what is happening ? so that we can see situations more clearly and be in a better position to make informed decisions about the future. Or maybe it shows some doors which are closed so that we can navigate more effectively; or maybe it just allows us a better sense of emotional balance to get a grip what we?re dealing with. Either way the concept of free will seems to me to be perfectly compatible with horary, as is the concept of certain things not being ?our lot?. If you look at Lilly?s judgements, many of them were not about predicting what will happen, but using the symbolism in the chart to explore options the querent hadn?t considered, and so effectively making changes to what would otherwise have happened.