AP - Seeking info on works by Jerome Cardan

3 Jul 2003

Deb:

I've been reading about Cardan's life - he really was a fascinating character.
Unfortunately his work was written in Latin and apart from the Choice Aphorisms that were translated by Lilly and published in The Astrologer's Guide, I'm not aware of any of his astrological texts having been translated and made available.

Can anyone prove me wrong on this? I would love to explore his work, it seems to me that he is one of the great names in the thread of astrological tradition that has yet to be properly investigated and fully recognised.

---------------------------

Tom:

Sadly I think you're right. You might want to try Robert Zoller's site (robertzoller.com); he may be working on some translations of Cardan. Robert Hand may have mentioned something about translating Cardan recently, too.

What book are you reading? I read *Cardano's Cosmos* by Anthony Grafton. Grafton is weak on astrology, but the biography was fascinating. I hope there is more of him available in English, too. Maybe we'll have to learn Latin?

-----------------------------

Deb:

I tried Zoller but he only has the choice aphorisms. I only became aware of Grafton?s book a few moments before reading this post. I?ve been reading the W.G. Waters 1898 biography, which is surprising good despite the passages that lapse into pomposity as is typical of that era. There seems to be a way this book is written that leaves you on the edge of your seat ? hints of terrible tragedies that raise your curiosity and keep you reading on to find out more.
Unfortunately, the author clearly thinks his astrological work was an embarrassment to his reputation, but fortunately, there are enough occasions where it is necessary to comment on it that you at least get some insight ? but not enough. There are lots of references to his assessment of his character according to his horoscope, but no details of the significations used. The thing that really irritates me is that his birthtime is given in the book as between half past six and quarter to seven in the evening. I?ve seen other charts timed for 6:28pm LMT but no source for the information. I would love to see some of his horoscope readings, especially his own, even in Latin (I?ve had the dictionary out a few times already!)
I think, like Lilly, Cardan?s way of bringing us into his world, by detailing his fears and upsets, detractions, jealous rivalries, and explaining his dreams is very alluring, and the few snippets that related to his astrological views definitely left me wanting to know more.

------------------------------

Sue:

The Grafton book is definitely worth a read. I really enjoyed it. He might not be the best astrologer in the world but he obviously has a passion for his material and that is worth a whole lot. I thought he brought the whole era to life in a fascinating way. Would have been a great time to be an astrologer - apart from being condemned by the Inquisition of course.