doubt about "How to Beat Time"

Hello
In How to beat Time, John Frawley gives an example of a woman who wants to know if her son will get into at least one of two schools.
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/timing.html

I understand his reasoning,but it seens a lot of "deus ex machina", as he says in the beginning of the article "no aspect, nothing happens"... well, there is no aspect between significators at all !

Has he got his conclusion from traditional rules that I am not aware of, or he just pulled a bunny out of the hat ?

Thanks
Yuzuru

doubt about "How to Beat Time"

Frawley says, 'We will assume that our chart shows an applying aspect. if it does not, we have no event...' This is the usual practise.
The significators are Jupiter ruling the 5th for the querent's son and the Moon ruling the 9th for the school. There are no aspects between the Moon and Jupiter and no collections or translations of light to bring them together, so according to Frawley this should have been a negative answer.

Maurice.

I should think it is fairly common to stress the importance of aspects since they reflect the past and upcoming movement of events, but I wouldn?t say it is impossible to make a judgement without them. Sometimes the description offered by the location of the significators gives such a predictably reliable outcome. (You could have something like emplacement for example). I must admit haven?t looked at that chart though ? I?ll try and do so later.

PS - welcome Maurice!

Yes, Deborah you are right, but in this case I am simply quoting Frawley from his own article, see subtitle 'Method' para 4. He makes it quite clear 'We will assume that our chart shows an applying aspect. If it does not, we have no event...' In the horoscope mentioned there were no aspects between significators therefore according to Frawley, no event. I should imagine that beginners in horary will find this very confusing.

Maurice.

Timing

I have to admit, I read Frawley's article as well and that chart about whether the boy would be admitted to school threw me, too.

I have the article in front of me now and it seems the question is: "How will my son fare in getting into a private school?" Frawely also tells us that the boy had an entrance exam at one school and an appeal at the desired school, "both on named dates."

Note, Frawley doesn't say "when will my son be accepted into a private school," as one would expect given this is an article about timing horaries. He also seemed to change the focus of the question from "will my son be accepted" to "will he get a scholarship?" So, I"m not really sure what the question was!

Nonetheless, I noticed the Moon at 29 Gemini is VOC. So I would have judged either "there is nothing to worry about, your son will be accepted" or as is often the case with the VOC moon, "nothing will come of it."

Frankly, I'm surprised this Moon is VOC. Generally, when there's a great deal of urgency or emotion behind the question, the chart is radical. But without knowing exactly what the question was (meaning did it reflect the mother's anxiety that her son wouldn't get into a private school or was it actually a "when" question), it's hard to say.

What I also think is odd is that rather than use the chart to determine the answer, Frawley relies on the upcoming planetary aspects. He says, "The appeal at the second school was due Aug. 10. On that day, the boy's significator, Jupiter, transits the 9th cusp." (Notice the question was asked in April!)

Notice something else: if you count the past aspect of the Moon in 29 Gemini to Jupiter, ruler of the 5th (the boy) and the natural ruler of the 9th (Mercury at 12 Taurus) we see it's 17. If you believe McEvers/March, they use past aspects to time future events. So if you count the number of weeks from April 27 to Aug. 10, you come somewhat close to that: by my count it's about 15 weeks.

But your guess is as good as mine: I didn't see why this chart was included in an article on timing...