Moon in via combusta

Hello all:

Do any of you have any hard and fast evidence regarding the Moon in the Via Combusta and having a negative effect on the querent or the quesited?

Some astrologers pay it no attention, others do: what do your charts show? Does the Moon in the Via Combusta always lead to a negative result? Or not?

Well first from the Glassary heer on sky script:
Via Combusta

- The area between 15 Libra and 15 Scorpio is termed the Via Combusta: 'Fiery Road' or 'Combust Way'. It is considered to be a debilitating area, particularly detrimental to the Moon. Al Biruni wrote of it:

"The combust way is the last part of Libra and the first of Scorpio. These two signs are not congenial to the Sun and the Moon on account of the obscurity and ill-luck connected with them and because each of them is the fall of one of the luminaries. They also contain the two malefics, the one by exaltation (Libra, Saturn) the other by house (Scorpio, Mars)."

This may be a very ancient aphorism, originating from the period when 15 Libra corresponded with the autumn equinox.

Second, lets walk it through, the Moon is in her face from 1-10 degrees of Libra, so she loses some dignity at 10 of Libra, then she enters a less than kind part of the sky at 15 degrees Libra, is it just moving out of higher dignity or moving into an even lower dignity? either way, its recently lost some of its oompff, Then the Moon is in her fall in Scorpio. so not just 1-15 of Scorpio is a bad place for the moon, but all of Scorpio. which probably goes to show that one should pay attention to moon in the Via Combusta... which just pointed out an issue for me in another chart, so thanks for bringing it up!

Granny...

Hi Voyagergirl,

Generally, the Moon is seriously debilitated when in the 'fiery way' or via combusta. Most traditional texts will warn against it. However, I don't believe that we can make it a hard and fast rule that this always leads to a negative answer. Like all horary charts, other factors need to be taken into account. It certainly suggests things are not good for whatever the Moon represents in the chart, ususally the querent, but other factors in the chart need to be taken into account before a decision can be made.

Cheers
Sue

Via Combusta

Thanks, Sue and Granny Skot,

But I guess what I'm getting at is I'd like some percentages from astrologers who have cast charts with the Moon in the VC.

For example, let's say last year, you set 6 charts with the Moon so placed: and each and every time it turned out negatively for the querent.

Or, only 10% of the time, did things turn out badly. And so on.

This is what I'm looking at. Maybe I should just start compiling information from the charts I've done.

I have noticed one thing: almost always when the Moon is in Scorpio, it implies a negative answer. I guess I need to go back over and look at the charts where the Moon is in Libra.

Hi Voyager Girl and fellow forumites

Something has just occured to me: I have managed to wangle the moon to be conjoined with Spica at the MC at 19? Libra in an electional chart, which I thought was a cunning feat of expertise and skill :D

Now - the fly in the ointment - arghh - Via Combusta...

What do you guys think: Spica or V.C.??? Who will take the cake??
Who will rise victorious??

Somewhere in the far recesses of my befuddled mind I seem to remember that 19? Libra is the term of Jupiter (or maybe not).
Maybe I dreamt it - hope always dies last :'

Regards
Susie

Hi everyone,
I remember Anthony Louis in one of his horary books (I forget which one) discussing a chart he cast when he misplaced his watch and ring. The chart showed the Moon in the V.C. He remembered from a modern text - I think it may have been Barbara Watters - reading that the V. o. C. Moon acted like the Moon afflicted by Uranus, in that it added an element of perversity or drastic suddenness to the situation.
Acting on an impulse, Louis decided to reverse Lilly's direction-finders, (C.A. p.204) and when he did that he found the missing items hanging over the thermostat regulator on his bedroom radiator.
The Moon in the "Burning Way" then, was a descriptive element that was pointing him to a source of heat.
Like Sue, I therefore would have to say that not all charts with this position of the Moon are bound to turn out negatively. I think we must always follow Lilly's advice and use Discretion mixed with Arte.

My two-pennyworth...
===
Pete

Via Combusta or Spica

Pete, that is a fascinating story about the watch and ring being found contrary to the chart's original interpretation. Meaning, using the VC to recall some element in perversity which lead Mr. Louis to reverse the original directions.

But as to the other post regarding the electional chart, I was under the impression that Spica was a 22 or 23 Libra... Or is there a certain orb that's allowable in an election chart and that's why?

Hi Voyagergirl

You are absolutely right - Spica is on 23deg Libra. I should have expressed myself more clearly - the Moon is APPLYING to conjunction with Spica. But then again, there might just be a allowable orb of 4deg.

My feeling somehow is that Spica might very well act like a sort of "protectorate" for the Moon. Makes me wonder about progressions though, once the moon leaves Spica, and really enters the "fiery highway".

Would be nice to know for sure!

I shall have to find out a bit more here.

Regards
S.