questions on how to assess planetary strength

Hello everybody,

I´ve been thinking about my natal chart for quite a while. Of course, i read about the test that is on http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig5.html. I applied that table on my natal chart and i got by and large only mediocre results. I now wonder if i can consider further information and somehow come to a different conclusion. That´s why i´ve made a list of questions. I hope you can give me some advice:

1) when two planets are aspecting each other, does it only have an effect on the inner planet or does the inner planet also have an effect on the outer planet? For example, if Mars is conjunct Saturn, would the conjunction be debiliating for Saturn?

2) does a planet receive accidental dignity if it is in a harmonious aspect (sextile, semi-sextile, trine) with a malefic planet (Mars, Saturn)?

3) does a planet receive accidental dignity if it is in a harmonious aspect (sextile, semi-sextile, trine) with an outer planet (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)?

4) does a planet receive accidental dignity if it is in a harmonious aspect (sextile, semi-sextile, trine) with a neutral planet (Moon, Sun, Mercury)?

5) is a planet debiliated if it is in a hard aspect (square, opposition) with an outer planet (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)?

6) is a planet debiliated if it is in a hard aspect (square, opposition) with a neutral planet (Moon, Sun, Mercury)?

7) when interpreting a natal chart, do you only consider partile aspects with about 1 degree?

8) is it dignifying or debiliating if a planet is in an aspect to the ascendant or midheaven? If so, how many points do you assign?

9) is it dignifying or debiliating if a planet is in an aspect to the part of fortune? If so, how many points do you assign?

10) sometimes, a one-sided reception occurs (meaning: planet A is located in the zodiac sign which is the domicile of planet B, and planet A and planet B are forming an harmonious aspect). If it occurs, how many points do you assign?

11) sometimes, a one-sided reception is disturbed by the conjunction of a third planet. If that happens, will the reception be useless?

12) if a planet is conjunct a beneficial fixed star which is of the same nature and the magnitude of that fixed star is about 2-3, how many points do you add to the dignity of that planet?

Kind Regards,
the FatedWayfarer

Hi, I like your questions, not because I have exact answers but because I have had about same questions in the past and never got clear answers, however I have opinions on the matter.

1) mostly the inner planets get influenced by the outer planet, the outer ones barely “listen??? (if at all) to the inner ones. But if two “neighbour??? planets are in a major aspect I think the inner one will probably have some influence on the outer one particularly if the inner one is very strong and “commands??? the aspect. For example, Jupiter in MC in Sagittarius in trine with Saturn in Aries in second house, although Jupiter is inner to Saturn I think Jupiter will help Saturn quite a bit. However if Moon is in a major aspect with Saturn then I doubt Saturn will get affected by the Moon while the Moon will be overwhelmed by Saturn’s influence.

2) I think it usually brings positive effects but depending on the planets involved it may be more or less so. For example, Saturn in sextile with Mercury should bring some dignity so that Mercury will be much more organised and act responsibly. But Moon might not benefit as much from the coldness of Saturn even in trine or sextile aspects.

3) Similarly to 2) I think it depends on the planets.

For the rest of your questions I have some mixed opinions too but will leave them for now. Btw I do not pay much attention minor aspects unless they are really exact. I wonder what others think on the matter. Thanks!

What turned out to be the most important in practical work with clients is:
Basic structure (it means ruler of asc., So sign and Mo sign, i.e. their dispositors)

The basic structure also includes a stellium if it exists (3 or more planets in the same sign), and then the dispositor of that stellium is also considered.

In addition, there can be a planet on or close to the asc., and possibly a planet with a lot of main aspects without falling into the basic structure.
Everything else is irrelevant in relation to the above

If there is a planet on the asc., it is by far the most important planet in the horoscope

So it is very rare that there is only one important planet, but it is often that there are 2 to 4 important planets, which are more important than all the others.

That's my view on the importance of planets.

planetary strength

The term ''planetary strength'' is vague.

In terms of real power, one goes to the outermost planet first...and then inward. So Pluto, Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, etc.

BUT how powerful a planet is in YOUR chart would depend upon the chart!

Some planets are rendered less active at times because of position and the transits.
Some power is NOT obvious. Some dynamics of the power are subliminal.

Planets in angular houses are more obvious and often more powerful.

BUT in any aspect where a heavy planet is negatively connected to a personal planet, the personal planet cannot be utilized in its most positive form.
The heavier planet will be felt more negatively (and I guess be interpreted as being more powerful) than if it were, let's say, trine or sextile the personal plane.

Remember: the outer planets are ''stage setters''. The inner personal planets must work WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK of the outer planets.
One cannot ''restage'' the playing field.

Sometimes transits allow for big and irrevocable (for better or worse) change of the ''stage setting.''

I hope this helps you.

If you want to post your chart, I could look for something specific as an explanation.

Just want to add, if you have any very specific questions about something in your own chart or this subject (less confusing than your first questions which would take forever to answer without seeing charts along with them) please ask.

LYN
The universe doesn't care if it inconveniences you.