New to horary and need help timing an event

Hello,

I am very new to horary and I was wondering if someone could help me time an event. Tomorrow (California, USA time) I will be apartment sitting for some friends between 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.. My friends have to work, but their landlord said they have to be home (or someone has to be in their home) between 9-8 for a repairman to come and look at their hot water heater, or something like that. Although I agreed to help out my friends at the last minute, there were a couple of events I would like to go to after 4 p.m.., and I would like to make plans accordingly. Is it possible to ask the question "when will the repairman arrive?" I realize this is the exact question John Frawley asks in an article on this website. However, Frawley does not show how to time the event in the article.
So I guess I am wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. Also, if it is possible to answer this question, when should I ask it?
Perhaps it is more practical to ask a yes or no question, such as, "will I be able to leave my friends house before four p.m.?"
I appreciate any and all help. I only have one book on horary, Anthony Louis' "Horary astrology plain and simple", but he does show how to look at a chart for timing an event at all.
I look forward to hearing from someone, and thank you moderators for offering such a wonderful site.

Respectfully, Peter :P

The reason why Frawley doesn't say how to time the event is because he was asking an horary question - for an horary chart! That is, the chart was drawn up for the time at which he asked the question.

Electional astrology involves casting a chart for the time of an EVENT. Horary involves casting a chart for the time of the QUESTION.

Your post confuses these two types of astrology.

Hi Peter,

It's been a while since I read John's book so this is from memory. I think John determined that the repairman would not arrive at all that day and therefore there was no event to time. Personally, I would do as you suggested and ask if you will be able to leave your friends' place before 4pm or perhaps whether the repairman will arrive before 4pm rather than what time he will arrive. It seems to be a more direct question with the potential for a more direct answer. You could then look for aspects between you and the repairman. We first need to determine whether the event will take place before worrying about the timing. He may not turn up at all.

You should ask the question when you have figured out what it is you will ask and how you will go about answering it, eg. what houses you will use etc.

Cheers
Sue

Thanks, Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm just writing to thank you for the excellent advice, especially the part about casting a chart to determine whether or not the repairman will arrive even in the first place. I never would have thought of that.

Warmly, Peter