thanks therese and aj for all of your posts...

therese, i think living in a household where this was happening would be a strong motive to get the hell out of the house... it might not mean marriage, but imagine how screwed up it all was and how it would dramatically alter a young persons psychology? the sexual abuse was the motive for the drugs as i see it too.. the whole thing is very messed up for those of us who have never been in this type of position... and hopefully the story allows others to cultivate more compassion for those with drug addiction problems too.. life is not all that it seems.. there are countless stories to go with why a person does what they do... i don't claim to know, but i think these 2 'events' definitely shaped the decision making process of a young 16 year old.. i can only speculate in combo with what hamish has said to me..

aj - it is extremely difficult to predict in advance, outside generalities as i see it.. as i said - i wouldn't have been able to see this off the chart.. i did consider tropical zodiac with sun in scorpio conjunct saturn and sun ruling the 8th house, but even then - i don't think one could get this too easily off the chart..

as for the birth time from the hospital, he is still waiting on that.. i will send him another note on that.. thanks...

therese, you mention ketu in the 8th... and saturn aspecting the 8th.... i realize ketu gets a bad rap, but how do you factor in an exalted saturn to the 8th? it seems to me this would explain why hamish was able to surmount these early life challenges later in life...

as for the study we started off on here... it was really about understanding the system as outlined in chapter 74 of BPHS... i suppose we can continue on with consideration of the solar return charts and any other method that might roll into the use of annual, monthly and etc profections...

i have to go! back by tomorrow.. thanks!

James wrote:
Therese, you mention ketu in the 8th... and saturn aspecting the 8th.... i realize ketu gets a bad rap, but how do you factor in an exalted saturn to the 8th? it seems to me this would explain why hamish was able to surmount these early life challenges later in life...
Well, Saturn doesn't relate especially to Hamish himself. I think we have to remember that Saturn spends more than two and a half years in one sign of the zodiac, so a planet in exaltation or debilitated may not be that important compared to other factors.

I would place more emphasis on Saturn’s star and sub of Rahu. Rahu is on the 2nd cusp in debilitated Sun’s star which takes it back to the 11th house again (and Rahu in 2nd is also connected to Ketu in the 8th). This establishes a link between the 2nd and 11th which should have a financial impact on Hamish’s life. If the 2nd house rules the family, this would point to the comfortable financial conditions of Hamish’s family, and would affect his own life and earning ability as well. (At least that’s what the textbooks say.)
as for the study we started off on here... it was really about understanding the system as outlined in chapter 74 of BPHS... i suppose we can continue on with consideration of the solar return charts and any other method that might roll into the use of annual, monthly and etc profections...
AJ has thorougly covered the Sundarshan chart, and this topic is already six pages, so seems to be mostly wrapped up for now. It might be interesting to start a topic on solar returns and profections–how they interact and work tegether. This is more a western approach, so probably belongs on the Sidereal section of Skyscript.

James, I’m not sure what the process is of the “directed-profection??? charts you posted earlier on this thread. That must be a newer western technique as it isn’t the traditional approach to profections which can always be seen in a bi-wheel (natal and solar return). We just have to visualize where the profected ascendant is in the natal chart for the year in relation to the solar return.

O.K., I just opened a topic on Solar Returns and Profections, but am out of time today for posting. Here is the link:
http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 659#112659
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Did some grammar spelling clean up and added a few minor comments late evening Sept 4th, 2018.
james_m wrote:i wouldn't have been able to see this off the chart.. i did consider tropical zodiac with sun in scorpio conjunct saturn and sun ruling the 8th house, but even then - i don't think one could get this too easily off the chart..
Noted before this may not be the best “test??? chart due to the very likely rounded time of birth. House cusps should be used with some caution though for the sake of argument the chart will be analysed “as is.???

I do think you can see molestation and rape in a chart. Everytime? no. Part of that is wrapped up in the philosophy of Jyotish and is another topic. I certainly missed the molestation, but none of the indicators that I normally would associate with molestation/rape are in Hamish's chart. For molestation I would look to see if Rahu is afflicted or strongly afflicting the lord of the 12th or Venus. The atipapa planet could also do this. Atipapa afflicting the Equal Bhava Madhya (EBM) of H7, H8 or their lords. All of these would be red flags for me.

In Hamish's natal chart the only functional malefic aside the Nodes is the Moon and he is atipapa. Rahu is not afflicted and though it aspects 12th lord Mars, but Mars seems fairly strong and not afflicted due to Mercury’s being on station. House 8 is not afflicted in fact quite to the contrary as the EBM is exactly aspected by exalted Saturn. This would also boost the 8th lord the Moon. House 12 EBM is closely conjunct by badly placed but unafflicted 7th lord Mercury. Venus is in fall but well placed so it is very weak but not afflicted.

So what does show natally that may account for this? Here is some dribblings from my brain on it. Feel free to add anything I may have missed or gotten wrong. It’s a stream of “thingish thought.???

1. Mentioned before there is Ketu closely aspecting Mercury in the 12th from the 8th house. Like you I don't usually associate Ketu as a strong factor for this kind of thing in light of the exalted Sa aspect to its resident house. Molestation is usually a debased Rahu signification. The Nodes can be exacerbated because they often take on the nature of the planets they rule and are more malefic when afflicting from a dusthana, but the Sa aspect is a puzzle. I look at Sa as a positive due to Saturn's good placement, exaltation and rules good houses.
2. Fallen Venus.
3. I would include fallen Sun because clearly Hamish was not being protected by his father, but that is a bit of a puzzle too because Sa is conjunct the EBM of the 11th house in association with the Sun.
4. Mercury.
I think number 4 Mercury might be the key here. It occurs to me as I look at Hamish’s chart right now that I may have overestimated Mercury’s strength, but then again maybe not.
[Warning: rabbit hole!]

Mercury is stationary in Hamish’s chart. James noted this before, and I mean within 2 or 3 hours of going retrograde. This is usually a very strong state for a planet to be in.

Contrast this with Me in the sign of a friend though it is pretty weak. Doing the maths Me is about 18% in strength (don’t ask me how I do this it’s too complicated to describe here). So very low and all of the planets associated in the whole sign tenth, Ve, Mo, and Ma are disposited by the very weak Mercury in the 12th. A planet can hardly be stronger than its dispositer.
[addition: Sa being weak (dispositer Ve is in fall) eliminates any protective cover for the 8th house too which makes the 8th house a little extra nasty]

Was I wrong for factoring in some additional strength for Me being stationary? Maybe. This is a real quandary for me. Stationary planets usually are very significant. Does dispositer trump all strengthening factors? Needs more study but Hamish’s chart certainly begs this question. Come to think of it this is a unique situation to me where the stationary planet is so weak. Me is disposited by Mars but Mars being disposited by Me, so Mercury harms itself in a circular manner.

That’s the only factor in all of this that would maybe additionally accounts for the molestation. Mercury’s extreme weakness affects all the planets in the whole sign tenth house. Venus has no power at all. The Moon and Saturn (even though it is exalted) are in a very poor state too and unable to promote their significations. This would also pretty well nullify any positive effect to the 8th house from Saturn’s aspect there. Mars aspect to the ascendant would only be marginally beneficial. Hamish has no protection. Moon and Sun are utterly weak so clearly no help or concern from the parents. Ketu’s aspect from the 8th would be devastating in this picture.

In addition because of this Is Ketu off the scale due to it being an enemy of the Moon and placed in the Moon's house the 8th?
Is there a new yoga here? with the fallen Venus and weakened planets in the 10th house? It is only recently in our contemporary society that this topic is not taboo. There is certainly more to discover about the astrology of such matters.

The possible sub-periods are Ra and Ju. Rahu maybe but Rahu is well placed in not afflicted also in the sign of a friend. Jupiter is weak in early degrees but still, there is not any strong link by placement or rulership other than ruling elder siblings and being disposited by Me. Me rules brothers and sisters but Ju has a connection to Me by disposition of Me, but this is by secondary sign. Ju is not afflicted by any of the papas in this chart. Jupiter as chart lord and being so weak could put Hamish in harm's way in its periods and sub-periods.

New rabbit hole…
Going back to the topic. Hamish was undergoing the 8th house profection during the molestation. Seems fitting to the event.
If we bring the 8th house to the ascendant in the Sudarshan chakra that puts natal Ketu aspecting the SC11th (turned 5th), SC2nd (turned 7th), SC4th (turned 9th). Lunar Mercury in the 8th house from the SC8th, but that still puts Solar Saturn positively aspecting Lunar Me. natal Ke in SC8th is not aspecting LunarMe at all.
Now Lunar Sa/Mo/Ve & Solar Su/Sa are in the 6th house from the 8th main dasha but as you go around the tri-wheel they are in good houses too and according to ch74 are benefics except Mars. So taking all these factors I am lost again trying to use all 3 charts at once. I don't see any real direct connections to the molestation aside from the 8th main dasha (profection) activating the SC8th and this would imply death-like experiences to Mercury in the natal 12th and Solar Su/Mo/Sa from Ketu.

The SC12th becomes the turned 5th from the 8th so using derivative houses considered from the main dasha house doesn't fit too well at all.

Using the Tri-wheel without rotating houses might hold some promise. Using Hamish's chart and by scrapping most of the rules in chapter 74 then solar Mo/Ve/Ma are weak and badly placed in the SC12th along with natal Mercury afflicted by Ketu from the SC8th. Implying deathlike situations and losses for the 8th house profection year. Ketu would then affect SC2nd house of family and SC4th house of home, but you don't need SC tri-wheel to figure this out, the natal without the solar and lunar charts is enough.

[Brain goes back to the natal discussion above.]

thanks aj,

first off - i am feeling a bit overwhelmed and am not able to properly respond to the comments directed to me at this time... although we live on a relatively small property, we have 3 hazel nut trees that are dropping a lot of nuts at present.. same deal the pear tree... fortunately, the early apples are finished, and the later ones haven't started to fall yet.. we have a late fruiting fig tree that hasn't had to be worked on.. the 14 blueberry plants have been looked after... if the horticulture wasn't enough at this time, i have a really busy month with gigs wtih 6 or more different groups.. if i am not rehearsing, i am playing in the evening for a good chunk of time...

i am however finding time to read the posts and i am continuing to read a couple of astro books in the evening too - v p goels book on divisional charts - i just finished the chapter on the d 40 chart!

students are back from summer... i have about 6 or 7 private students that come to the house for music lessons.. 2 came today!

you get the picture! i want to participate, but i am a bit stretched at present...

hamish has been in contact with the hospital.. they have to pull it up on microfish and hopefully he will hear back from them in the next week or two - possibly earlier or later, but it will happen and i will inform when i get the info on the time the hospital has for his birth...

i am unfamiliar with the term atipapa... edit 1 - lord owner, or ruler it looks like...

what type of aspects can rahu and ketu make? it seems ketu can make a trine aspect... what can rahu make? i suppose this breaks down into different indian schools of thought..

regarding mercury stationary - thanks for mentioning this again.. it might have a lot of relevance in so far as mercury rules the virgo planets and is in a mutual exchange with mars.. but that is as much as i can get off this..

one technique i like to use - especially in hindsight astrology is midpoints... i see the venus-mars midpoint is 45 to pluto... sexual violence i tend to associate with mars-pluto contacts... i read an interesting book on planetary containment's that just takes 3 planets in a chart and develop concepts around the 3 to arrive at insights.. one interesting example would be pluto-mars-moon.. although mars is not anywhere near the midpoint of pluto-moon, the family history of hamishs definitely is marked by a pluto-moon vibe with a mars thrown into the mix as they line up here...

pluto-mars is in a 1/2 quintile aspect - approx 36 degrees.. it shows up in the D5 chart as an opposition with venus-ascendant on the top of the t square... now, until we find the exact time of hamish, the data on the ascendant is dubious, but the mars-pluto opp with venus in the picture does figure into the D5 chart.. venus is 18 degrees or 1/4 of the 72 quintile aspect...

the distance in the rasi / natal chart between rahu and pluto is approx 153.. that is a 7th harmonic aspect.. the sun is very close to the midpoint of these 2... you can see it on a D7 chart which is shown below... again - you don't need an exact time if you hold the angles off the details for the moment... the sun is very close to the exact midpoint of pluto-rahu... you see it on the chart below... 7th harmonic have some type of fated characteristics to them and the 7th division chart has a direct association with childhood as i understand it - reading this book and others on divisional charts used in india... now, i don't know if they are working with the outer planets, but the one planet i associate with the topic of death, sex, transformation and stuff like this is indeed pluto..

as you can see in the chart above, there are close contacts between jupiter, mercury and moon in the D7 chart as well...

this is just my impression based on conversations with hamish.. it is the women side, or maternal side of his family that seems to have brought a type of karma or legacy to the table, more then the fathers side... i don't have any concrete astro symbolism to back it up, unless i start using info like i am sharing in the above instances!

the other midpoint i am looking at is the one that catches all the planets within it - rahu in the east and jupiter in the west.. pluto aspects this midpoint via 45 degrees... it is very close to the mercury-pluto midpoint and the mars-neptune midpoint too..

in fact, according to midpoint ideas, the midpoint of the sun-moon and ascendant-midheaven are considered the most important.. it makes sense on a logical level, but i don't know how true this is.. the sun-moon midpoint is very close to neptune.. this works with a person who is into the arts, and also a person who has lived on the streets and struggled with drug addiction too...

an earlier birth time could put mercury at the midpoint of the asc/mid, but we will have to wait to see what the hospital data provides..

aj - i found it fascinating your suggestion of new yogas, or ones not previously mentioned for the reasons they have to do with sex, abuse and etc. etc... it makes sense! i have 2 books on yogas - the 300 combos by raman that i have read, and the other one by charak, that i have yet to read... i figured i would learn about yogas and divisional charts and move onto the different dasa systems last... i admit i am just trying to climb a steep rock face!

thanks to you, therese and stefan for continuing on in my absence! i do want to particpate, but i have to do this judiciously at this point in time! cheers james

Thanks for interesting thread all participants..

I had a look at Hamish chart for seeing about sexual abuse.

I find it hard to see any clear pattern there, and I would not been able to pinpoint it without knowing about it.

Some random comments though...

- Mars major period.
Mars is part of aristha yogas for some difficulties generally.
as mars is 12th lord associating with 6L and 8th L.

- Venus in debilitation part of this pattern.
Venus is lord of 11th house which can be elder sibling and bad state of elder siblings. 11th house also holds a fallen sun and saturn neptune squaring the ketu in 8th house...as well as rahu in 2nd (family), if using western squares...

- transiting saturn in 2nd house (family) over the nodal axis.

Chara dasha
Is scorpio 12th house which can be about secrets and so forth. Scorpio holds mercury which is Gk.

The tertiary progressions is slowgoing and sets focus on the natal western venus uranus square.
Due to tertiary progessed uranus perfecting the natal square to venus showing some unusual venus activity.
Also tertiary ketu (south node is conjunct natal Uranus setting further focus on uranus venus natal aspect.
As venus is also with neptune in the chart there is some confusion and upset to the venus function which may relate to this time.

At 7 age he would be in mars-rahu (make sense) or Mars- Jupiter period.

Jupiter is interesting as it is in a lunar mansion related some to incest myth.
Mrigashira mansion and the myth of Brahma who gets lust for his daughter and chasing her. Jupiter is important planet for Hamish as ruler of his ascendant, placed in mrighashira nakshatra in the 7th house which is about relationships, so some seeking (mrighashira) also can show restlessness to stay in one relationship.
Brahma (the Creator) had a daughter who was very beautiful and to whom he was sexually attracted. His daughter sensed his attraction so she took the form of a deer and ran away. Brahma then took the form of a stag and chased her across the heavens. When Rudra (aka Shiva) found out what was happening he cut off the head of the stag in order to prevent the incestuous relationship from taking place. The stag’s head became the nakshatra of Mrigashira –James Kelleher, Path of Light
Best wishes
Stefan

Stefan wrote: Chara dasha
Is scorpio 12th house which can be about secrets and so forth. Scorpio holds mercury which is Gk.

Best wishes
Stefan
thanks stefan.. i am curious... this Gk thing is jaimini as opposed to parashara correct? what is it??

Yes it's Jaimini.
Gk is the 6th planet in longitude. It is somewhat challenging, corresponding to
6th house and thus some struggles. Combined with the 12th house scorpio chara dasha it seems like not optimal period.
Aspected by sign aspect by Rahu in 2nd house also.....

thanks stefan,

so the sun is not included in the 6th planet in longitude concept? or the nodes?

in longitude i get
jupiter
(ketu)
mars
moon
venus
saturn
sun
mercury
(rahu)

that is what makes the gk in all these indian charts i see? i have been curious about it for a while... please confirm or not if i have this.. thanks!

Stefan: Thanks for the interesting comments on Hamish's chart.
I know you mentioned that Mrigashirsha is associated by some to the incest myth you related but just for the contrast it is also held that Mrigashirsha is ruled by Soma, the nectar of the gods. This association isn't a good fit. Again, mentioning it as a contrast, not a critique.
It might in this sense be appropriate to mention that Mars the main dasha lord is in Uttara Phalguni Star whose symbol includes the mating couch. This symbol fits in a rather twisted way to the Brahmin story associated with Mrigashirsha.

Rahu one of the possible antardashas for the event is in Uttarashadha Star is ruled by the Vishwadevas, the Universal laws of nature. This relationship doesn't fit at least to me as Hamish's Rahu isn't afflicted to twist nature, but then again... Rahu is in the Sun's star, and the Sun is in fall and that is a negative factor to Rahu's results in Hamish's chart that is not so obvious. The Sun is also in Rahu's star, a sort of nakshatra mutual reception as it were, but in this case not so mutually satisfying.

Its been an intriguing exercise in the unique symbology of the Nakshatras as they might apply to delineation.

James: I'm sure its a delicate subject even to this day with Hamish, but did he say when the abuse ended or was it a one-time act of violence?
Hamish's Rahu main period began when he was 12.8 years old so I am curious if the abuse continued outside of the Mars main dasha.

Also while I have your attention, atipapa just means most malefic planet.

As far as D7 I have only associated it with progeny and one's happiness from them, not with the natives own childhood. Not saying it doesn't apply to this but I have never heard this broad of an association for the D7 before.
What works for me is the Fourth house, Ninth, Second house and the Sun and Moon and the main period dasha lords for consideration for early childhood. D4 and D12 are very insightful here too.

[added] You asked about Rahu and Ketu's aspects. You can look up our conversation on Indian Parashari aspects but here is a refresher... there are different schools of thought. Some opine they don't give nor receive aspects. Others "moo" that only Rahu gives or receives aspects, etc. Parashara says in BPHS and I subscribe to this too, that Rahu and Ketu give full aspect to the first and seventh, and also to the fifth and ninth. Same as Jupiter though they are first rate malefics. Notice that Jupiter is the only benefic strong enough to make a trine aspect. Rahu and Ketu also make the full trine aspect. Food for thought on how strong Rahu and Ketu are. Saturn and the sextile is interesting too and how it makes this and the "dexter" square (hope I got that right, been a long time since I did much western astrology...10th house glance anyway).
[addition #2] midpoints are fascinating and I know they are a valid technique. I experimented with them many, many years ago but I think to use them effectively for real-time delineation you have to go full "ham" in concert with one of the Ebertin methodoligies (schools) to really use them productively.
Last edited by AJ on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

james_m wrote:thanks stefan,

so the sun is not included in the 6th planet in longitude concept? or the nodes?

in longitude i get
jupiter
(ketu)
mars
moon
venus
saturn
sun
mercury
(rahu)

that is what makes the gk in all these indian charts i see? i have been curious about it for a while... please confirm or not if i have this.. thanks!
James,
I go by the methodology of not including the nodes in this delination.
Some schools including nodes..

And you are using the correct technique..but in reverse. The planet with the Highest longitude is atmakaraka (VE) 26 degrees....then AM is next highest longitude..and that is in Hamish chart Sun at 17 degrees.
Mercury as Gk is then the 6th at 7.28. And the planet with the lowest longitude is Jupier, which then becomes the Dk (Darakaraka), relationship indicator in Jaimini astrology.

aj

hamish didn't say when the abuse stopped.. he speculated with a high degree of confidence that his oldest sister had been sexually abused herself via her uncle - who was married to his dad's sister... he was never able to have this conversation with her though and it was years later... when hamish went to private school around age 13, that would have stopped all this, but i have asked him for clarity on this - along with the birth data we are still waiting on..

the D7 chart for me was just another way to address some 7th harmonic aspects in hamishs chart which seemed to describe his relationship with his siblings.. whether the chart gets used for this - i kind of doubt it, but i am not thinking D7 chart so much as 7th harmonic aspects... this is another reason i have been drawn to indian astrology.. the info and knowledge on harmonics in the west is pretty limited.. i have been curious to know how these divisional charts are used and understood in indian astro.. hamishs relationship with his 2 daughters from 2 different marriages is one of estrangement as well.. there is no communication between them.. this is how his 2 daughters want it.. sun on the south node rising in his D7 chart and sun in direct opposition to pluto in the 7th definitely describes this.. whether it describes his relationship with his oldest sister - it would seem to as well.. thanks for your feedback on the usefulness of the D4 and D12 in this regard.. i don't have enough experience and this motivates me to consider this..

thanks for the refresher on the nodes and whether they make aspects or not and etc.. this quagmire in the literature is replicated with regard to rulership themes on the nodes and etc. etc.. i like what judith hill https://judithhillastrology.com/ has said on the nodes in her book on the nodes... she tends to associate a more positive expression to the north node and a more negative one to the south node, but she is much more nuanced then this in her writings.. she is a 2nd or 3rd generation astrologer who i highly regard..

as a result of my temperament, i am inclined to keep an open mind on what does or doesn't work with regard to the nodes.. as a consequence of this, it means i haven't put my eggs in one of these theoretical baskets and tend to forget what all the different baskets look like!

with regard to midpoints and so much of astrology for me - i am more into the research - hindsight astrology basically.. i am not a practicing astrologer, but i am fascinated by the connections and correlations that appear.. ''as above, so below'' is a saying i relate to.. perhaps that is my philosophy, although i never really thought of it like that until now.. astrology is a reflection of this ideology in action.. midpoints seem to have a lot of merit... the sun-moon= neptune in hamishs chart seems to hold true based on my understanding of him..

thanks for your comments!

stefan,

thanks! i had to figure this out in some weird way... it is not the highest longitude in 360, but the highest longitude per 30 degree slices... thanks for helping me understand this gk concept.. it is littered in a lot of literature i have read and has been a mystery to me how they arrived at this.. however, i know next to nothing of gulika - is that gk stands for?).... they make it sound like another saturn in the birth chart, lol... these fatalistic astrologers will leave no stone unturned, lol!