navamsha

i am reading a 2nd book on navamsha now.. it was written in 2017 by v.p. goel.. he answers to questions that i had about using the navamsha that i had that were not really easy to get an answer on in the other book i just finished reading - charisma of navamsha by raj kumar and written in 2013..

first, what one has to realize is that sign placement is really important in indian astrology.. it is a different approach then cosmobiology or john addeys work on harmonics..rulership of houses and house placement are all considered quite important in both of these books...

to make it easy on the readers - you - i am going to lay out v.p. goels views in the 6 points he offers in his book in the first chapter. appropriately titled 'basics'..

1. planet exalted in the navamsha chart is considered best even when it is debilitated in birth chart...

2. any planet debilitated in navamsha give bad results even when it is exalted in birth chart.

3. a vargottam planet is strong. it gives name and fame. even a debilitated vargottam planet gives wealth, fame but with some problems like health or mental tensions.

4. planets in the signs of benefic planets are strong.

5. planets in navamsha occupying the signs of kendra/trikona of birth chart are auspicious. -( that quote is bolded in the book..)

6. the navamsha are further classifed as dhrid, dhridh-adhrid and adridh. the fixed sign in navamsha are dhrid, and dual are dridh-adhrid and the movable areadridh.. the prarabha signified by dridh cannot be changed, those signifed by dual can be changed with effort and the one signified by movable signs can be changed with little effort..

as you can see, if you don't know much about navamsha as read by indian astrologers - there is a lot to take in...

further to this, certain sections of the rasi chart are called pushkar as if a planet is in this area, it will make the planet really strong in the navamsha chart... i kept reading the word pushkar, but didn't really understand it til i got to this 2nd book on navamsha..

here is what was especially interesting to me.. they say that this planet as placed in the navamsha can be put back in the rasi chart to understand the implications more fully...

now, i haven't tried these ideas out very much, aside from pondering how it implicates my own chart, but i am going to review assange and the king of thailands chart and see if it alters anything.. one thing it does apparently alter is the reading of the dasas and bhuktis... and i don't know.. maybe some folks here are all up on this, but it is news to me!

64th navamsha - 22nd drekkana - vish navamsha

these are ideas that are contained in v.p. goels book called 'predict with navamsha' 2017 first edition..

essentially the association with the 8th area is much like the 64th navamsha and 22nd drekkana... here's how... 108 different navamsha cubes - or 9 x 12 signs = 108.. if you do the math - 7 signs x9 navamshas per sign = 63.. the 64th one will begin at the 8th sign/house.... it is essentially the same deal for the drekkana... 3 x 12 = 36... 3 x7(signs) = 21.. the 22nd drekkana is the beginning of the 8th sign/house... one wonders if it is tied into the nakshatras as well.. this is just supposition on my part and i didn't pick it up from anyone.. one nakshatra is 13.20 degrees.. that is 4 cubes of 3.20 degrees each.. 4 x27 = 108.. 4 x16 gives 64.. the equivalent nakshatra for 645th nvamsha is 16 Viś??kh?? ..

these 2 specific navamshas and drekkanas are equivalent to the beginning of the 8th sign/house.. there is an immediately association with death and loss connected to this position...

from the book - 'brihat parashar reckons it from lagan and moon.. jatak parijata reckons it from moon only... prashan marg reckons it from lagan, moon and sun... (authors comment) - why not we reckon it from all planets and houses as well?""

he then proceeds to give 7 rules for predicting the events with the help of sixty fourth navamsha.. rule 4 for example - "when the lord of twenty second dreshkana and sixty fourth navamsha from moon is same planet and it transits a sign deprived of bindu in astakvarga then death is unavoidable.. if they are different, then both transiting the senstive poin gives death...

rule 5... the transit of malefic gives effect when transiting in the 8th house sign and the navamsha sign of 64th navamsha and vice versa.. there is more but i am not quoting it all.

rule 6 ... transit of slow moving planets including rahu and ketu over the sensitive 64th navamsha produces event of significant nature.. the fast moving planets produce evemts of small magnitude..

again from the book.
the 1st, 5th and 9th navamsha of dual sign have common sign as the sity fourth navamsha and 22nd dreshkana..

for example a planet is at 3 degrees gemini.. the 64th navamsha sign and 22nd dreshkana sign will be capricorn and its lord is saturn.. for any planet in this navamsha saturn becomes a malefic khara for the planet.

this malefic nature increases many fold if the planet is also in vish navamsha. the conditions are:
1 64th navamsha sign and 22nd dreshkana sign of the planet is the same.

2 the planet is in vish navamsha.

3 the planet is in sun hora.

summing up we get three navamsha as the most malefic placement which meet all the conditions.. these are first navamsha of sagittarius, fifth navamsha of gemini and ninth navamsha of pisces. the 5th navamsha of gemini ( from 15 degree to 16 degree 40 minutes) and first navamsha of virgo do not meet the condition of sun hora and they are less malefic but still give adverse results..

the dasha period of this khara and the planet gives inauspicious results. the results are more pronounced when the dasha lords are in hora of sun.. "

a lot of that is quoting directly from the book... he then proceeds to give examples.. i am still in the dark about what constitutes vish navamsha, but perhaps it is all of this rolled into one... i sent him an e mail, but have yet to hear back.. no where else does he articulate what exactly vish navamsha is... seeing it as point 2 above just adds to the confusion..

in my next post i will use a chart, but first i have to find a chart that is rated AA... william, duke of cambridge is AA.. it is tempting to work out the area of his life when his mom diana died.. i am considering this as an option... i don't know if any of this applies to that time frame in his life..

James, the problem with these newer authors such as Kumar and Gael is that they have often relied on classically trained earlier authors (such as C. S. Patel) who did their research homework, then added a few notes on minimal personal research, and put it all together in a book. Copying without giving credit is rampant in India. Sometimes a book is published "as is" with a new author's name attached such as "Usha & Shashi's" Brihat Jataka which was written by N.C. Iyer.

This is why the serious student needs a foundation in the classics, and then needs to follow through with respected authors, most now deceased. Once an author dies, his work is more or less a free-for-all for others to plagiarize. I don't know anything about Kumar, but I do know that a favorable Forward by K.N. Rao was written for Goel's Predict Comprehensively Through Divisional Charts (2010). So he has the blessings of Mr. Rao, India's most respected research astrologer. But this book has no reference list or bibliography.

You can't just accept what these new books say as "God's own truth." A prime example is that Tropical "elements" are now being copied into books on India's astrology. Just like in western astrology, a good foundation is necessary for grasping the essence of India's astrology.

Sagar as a publisher is always suspect. Western scholarship is definitely superior in giving credit where credit is due.
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm

Re: 64th navamsha - 22nd drekkana - vish navamsha

james_m wrote: in my next post i will use a chart, but first i have to find a chart that is rated AA... william, duke of cambridge is AA.. it is tempting to work out the area of his life when his mom diana died.. i am considering this as an option... i don't know if any of this applies to that time frame in his life..
64th navamsa is from 210-213deg 20min, so to make things easy, the 64th navamsa point is really a dexter inconjunct or 8th house aspect from whatever planet or sensitive point you are considering.
I don't use the outers personally, but on August 31, 1997, when Williams mom died in that horrific car crash transiting Uranus was separating 19 minutes of arc from the 64th navamsa degree of his natal Moon. Moon, of course, is karaka for mother and Uranus is considered a malefic.
PS: Just a thought... note also that Mars makes a full aspect to this point from itself in Indian astrology. All planets aspect the fourth house and eighth house too and have a three-quarter effect. If the orb is exact a three-quarter effect would be strong enough to have an impact.
So is it really the effect of the 64 navamsa or the aspect?
PSS: In my own chart I had no transiting contacts to the 64th navamsa from my Moon, ascendant, or the Lord of the fourth house on the day my mother died. In fact, there are no 8th house contacts to any point. transit to transit, transit to natal, or natal to transit except for the transiting Moon, but I discount this because the Moon forms contacts that change every few hours. Unsure of her actual hour of death this cannot be considered.
PS/PS/PS... some other contacts in Williams chart dealing with the dexter inconjunct aspect on the death of the mother; orb <1 degree:
tRa 8th aspect to tSa; of course, this is a mutual inconjunct aspect.
tMa 8th aspect to nME
nRa 8th aspect to tJu
PSIV... Just noticed Williams D9 Moon (13Ca10) is dexter inconjunct from his natal Moon (11Ge27) KP ayanamsa. Interesting because natally the Moon is Williams eighth lord of death and death like experiences. Moon, of course, is mother. In fairly recent news interviews he has opened up on just how devasted he was after the death of his mother. He was just 15 then.

therese,

it can always be argued that a person would benefit the most from a classical education in whatever the field... when it comes to music and astrology, this has not been my path! perhaps this is why i am not some world renowned musician or astrologer!

people have to find out things for themselves.. if education does anything, it needs to encourage a person to think for themselves... i see a lot of group think instead and often times i see this from well educated people.. this is me, finding out things for myself..

i appreciate what you are saying and benefit from your comments, but i have to find out a lot from my own efforts as i see it.. trail and error and etc. etc..

aj

thanks for your comments on the 64th navamsha and taking a look at williams chart in this context.. it is all relevant, so much so, that i am inclined to fall back on my standard outlook on much of this - any transit to the 8th house of that planet/angle and etc - is an 8th house type transit... my mom died when saturn was transiting the 8th sign to my moon and ascendant... my dad died when saturn was transiting the 8th sign from my sun...

i am inclined to think it is really all about transits to the 8th sign/house from any planet/point in a chart... how relevant is 64th navamsha in all of this?? it seems like it is overlapping of same type data.. however, v.p.goel says only some positions in the rasi will fulfill the criteria of being both the 64th navamsha and the 22nd drekkana... also, he factors in whether the planet is in sun or moon hora and a few other things too.. i am not sure how into all this i am at this point.. in looking at this angle, i am not convinced it is any more relevant then what i have already learned on transits of planets to the 8th house/sign of other planets... maybe i am missing something..

fortunately i got some tables in the back of the shadbala book, that help me to quickly see what signs planets will be in divisional charts, based off the rasi chart, without having to put the data into the astro program.. that is helpful...

in the case of williams moon in the 4th navamsha of gemini - 10 degrees to 13 degree 20 minutes - one can see this falls in the 8th sign from gemini - capricorn... v.p. goel doesn't mention it in his book, but any planet in a natal chart that is in the 4th navamsha of the mutable signs will do the same... so, for virgo 4th navamsha - 10 - 13 degree 20 minutes will fall in aries and etc. etc.. the same basic situation happens with the 8th navamsha of the cardinal signs... for example aries 23 degree 20 minutes to 26 degree 40 minutes will fall in scorpio.. same deal for any planet in 8th navamsha of any cardinal sign.. the only time this doesn't happen is with fixed signs and navamshas...

clearly there are holes in my understanding.. i was looking at different charts rated AA and coming up empty... i had looked at trumps chart - 1054am AA rated chart and in spite of the lack of confirmation of assanges chart, i continue looking at his chart and noticing the timing of his arrest and the degree of mars in the transit data to his natal moon confirming this same 64th navamsha theme... there is more, but i am not going to post the charts..

perhaps a more fruitful exploration is the last chapter of v.p. goels book on devotion to religion... as i said in another comment here somewhere, i found this chapter quite fascinating too for how the navamsha chart was used as a means of understanding the level of a persons devotion to a religion and a number of topics related to this - loss of faith, change in faith and etc. etc..

he starts off the chapter by making a distinction between religion and spiritualism.. i quote - "we must differentiate between religion and spiritualism.. religion is the path imposed by the society and the family you are born in... spiritualism is not bound by them and is the inner urge of a person... here we are discussing religion and not spiritualism... every person is religious at least to some extent."

why do i think this particular divisional chart - navamsha, is relevant to religion? navamsha is mostly thought of as relating to marriage and 7th house matters... i have always thought the number 9 is connected to spirituality which might or might not be associated with religion, as v.p. goel tries to address.. i believe the reason for the importance of the 9th divisional chart is due a connection to spirituality... some might say that relationships are the real path of enlightenment, as it is thru relationship that we are forced to transcend our self in the need to merge with another... i tend to believe this anyway...

i don't have the heart to go into the details he outlines in this book i keep quoting 'predict with navamsha', but suffice to say, i have found the book rewarding to read....

here is another thought i have been pondering based on our previous conversation on the accuracy of birth times and how it really alters the divisional chart details... when you think of it - these divisional charts are supposed to have a history that dates far back.. the accuracy of birth data does not date very far back!!! how is it that these charts were used in the past, when the time was very difficult to ascertain??

here is my theory... these divisional charts were ideological, more then practical... i realize this is kind of blasphemy to a strong believer of divisional charts.. i am not saying i don't believe in the merits of them, just that i wonder how much of it was ideologically, or philosophically driven?? i don't know, but i do know how hard it is to get accurate birth data today, let alone how hard it would be to get it in the past! something to ponder...

james_m wrote: why do i think this particular divisional chart - navamsha, is relevant to religion? navamsha is mostly thought of as relating to marriage and 7th house matters... i have always thought the number 9 is connected to spirituality which might or might not be associated with religion, as v.p. goel tries to address.. i believe the reason for the importance of the 9th divisional chart is due a connection to spirituality... some might say that relationships are the real path of enlightenment, as it is thru relationship that we are forced to transcend our self in the need to merge with another... i tend to believe this anyway...
Traditionally of course the navamsa shows general fortune, marital happiness/spouse and dharma, or religious pursuits. Dharma is more than religious pursuits though, it is more of a concept... cosmic principles that underpin correct social behaviors and virtuous life. As you point out relationships are our first step in transcending the self to learn to love the larger family of humankind.
Many years ago an Indian astrologer by the name of Mohan Koparker, might still be alive, I don't know, [I used to have the book but couldn't find it. Must have lost it in a move or loaned it out. Pretty sure the book was titled House Magnification].Anyway, he postulated in the book that the divisional charts were "house magnifications". This was done numerologically by taking the relevant house number and adding two. So navamsa was seventh house plus two or a ninth division to "amplify" that house for delineation. The idea has some merit but fails with many of the traditional and tajika vargas. For navamsa (7th house plus 2) and Panchamsa (5th house plus 2) it appears to work, but for example siddahmsa, D24, the d-chart for learning and most others the theory breaks down quickly. I can't remember much more from it since it was so long ago. Therese may know of it too.
The eighth house would become the D10, sixth the D8, fourth the D6 and so on and just doesn't work in a traditional context.
here is another thought I have been pondering based on our previous conversation on the accuracy of birth times and how it really alters the divisional chart details... when you think of it - these divisional charts are supposed to have a history that dates far back.. the accuracy of birth data does not date very far back!!! how is it that these charts were used in the past, when the time was very difficult to ascertain??
I was thinking the same thing recently... I really don't have an answer, especially when you had to rely on gnomons and astrolabes back then. I have an astrolabe but prefer a watch if you catch my meaning. There are nadi systems of rectification the ancients may have used but they are a bit hit and miss in my opinion. I was taught one method that is consistently within 5-7 minutes but fails pretty readily when an ascendant is on a cusp. This could be due to errors in ayanamsa I suppose. Still, not trustworthy enough for accurate work without additional rectification. I am a perplexed as you. Could Addey have done his work on harmonics without modern clocked and documented birthtimes? I doubt it.
PS... It very possible that we just don't know what other supplemental techniques the ancients used. Lots of what we have handed down are pretty fragmentary and full of errors. Sometimes the ancient classics are more telling for what they leave out than what they tell you. With few exceptions, they are more like ancient "Cliff Notes" in my opinion. How many palm leaf MSS have been eaten by bugs, rats and rotted away by neglect in that last hundred years? I have a couple of Indian books from the early sixties that have chunks eaten into the margins from bugs. [no bugs after I got them. Cleaned up some of my poor grammar too.]

thanks aj,

mohan koparkar has some interesting ideas! i have one of his books - the one on the lunar nodes... i read it recently. in the beginning of the book he gives general astro ideas on degrees between planets, including the 40 degree aspect which will show up as a conjunction in a navamsha chart.. in fact - an 80, 120, 160 and etc. etc. aspect will show up as a conjunction in the navamsha chart... all of them being 1/9th, 2/9ths, 3/9ths, or 40x 1-9 and etc. etc of the 360.. on the other hand - 20,60,100, 140 and etc. etc. will show up as an opposition in the navamsha chart..

i think, but can't know for sure) that koparkar was influenced by the newer generation of astrologers looking into astrology from a more contemporary angle

what is interesting to me is john addey and david hamblin weren't using the signs and houses so much as just the aspect and what the 'harmonic' might imply in terms of its meaning cosmically speaking...addey focused in particular on the 5th harmonic series and i believe a good part of his research was dedicated to that.. i haven't read his books in a long time, but i have them on my book shelf.. indian astrology is much more focused on signs and houses, as opposed to aspects.. or perhaps they focus on aspects thru these divisional charts, but it is a subtle less obvious focus!

i was reminded of the biblical passage of jesus spending 40 days in the desert fasting.. i wonder if the symbolism of the bible was conveying something here in this coincidence of the number 40 being used? again - i tend to think of 40, and the 9th divisional chart as having a connection to spirituality - religion...

thanks for sharing your thoughts on birth data times and the accuracy of them being a more recent development..

I posted this under the wrong topic, so am moving it here.

James wrote:
It can always be argued that a person would benefit the most from a classical education in whatever the field... when it comes to music and astrology, this has not been my path! perhaps this is why i am not some world renowned musician or astrologer!
Well, maybe....?
People have to find out things for themselves.. if education does anything, it needs to encourage a person to think for themselves... i see a lot of group think instead and often times i see this from well educated people.. this is me, finding out things for myself. i appreciate what you are saying and benefit from your comments, but i have to find out a lot from my own efforts as i see it.. trail and error and etc. etc..
This got me to thinking of the reasons students have for studying astrology or other subjects. You are interested in learning for yourself, and like your own approach. It’s very personal to James.

I see astrology as a great cosmic edifice that at our stage of understanding is only partly built. A palace or building needs a solid foundation. Building a foundation is no fun. Soil has to be excavated, precise measurements taken, heavy stone blocks moved into place and cemented. This is why in my opinion students need a cross cultural solid foundation in the history of astrology. (And why Kepler college spent an entire first year on astrological history.)

After the foundation is finished, the actual construction of the building begins. I study astrology because I hope to add a brick or two of useful information for the benefit of future astrologers. So I see myself as one small segment of a network of students, all contributing truth to the rising edifice of astrology. The building is actually complete, but mostly hidden in astral reaches we can’t see. So systematic study and research is the process of discovery rather than creation.

Education, a knowledge base, means that each individual builds on work by others that has come before. This is why we have education systems beginning with kindergarten and going all the way to Ph.D. degrees and post graduate study. True innovation is always happening, and there is no rule that says students have to remain in an educational straitjacket. There will always be conformists and revolutionaries.

James replied:
Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:05 am
thanks therese!

i agree with all that you say - especially the part about conformists and revolutionaries!!

cheers
james
Last edited by Therese Hamilton on Sun May 26, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJ wrote:
Traditionally of course the navamsa shows general fortune, marital happiness/spouse and dharma, or religious pursuits. Dharma is more than religious pursuits though, it is more of a concept... cosmic principles that underpin correct social behaviors and virtuous life.
This is the most comprehensive definition of the navamsa I’ve seen. Number nine is also said to be the perfection of numbers. One view (I’m not sure of the source, maybe MaHaBote...) says that the navamsa describes the later life after childhood.
Many years ago an Indian astrologer by the name of Mohan Koparker, might still be alive, I don't know, [I used to have the book but couldn't find it. Must have lost it in a move or loaned it out. Pretty sure the book was titled House Magnification].Anyway, he postulated in the book that the divisional charts were "house magnifications". This was done numerologically by taking the relevant house number and adding two.
I’ve decided that I’m not a fan of Koparkar. I have one of his books on Degrees Magnified. Searching the Internet, there is another one on Aspects Magnified.
James wrote:
here is another thought I have been pondering based on our previous conversation on the accuracy of birth times and how it really alters the divisional chart details... when you think of it - these divisional charts are supposed to have a history that dates far back.. the accuracy of birth data does not date very far back!!! how is it that these charts were used in the past, when the time was very difficult to ascertain??

AJ wrote:
I was thinking the same thing recently... I really don't have an answer, especially when you had to rely on gnomons and astrolabes back then. I have an astrolabe but prefer a watch if you catch my meaning.
This entire question is fascinating because divisional charts go all the way back to Varahamihira in the 6th century. Was there an entire science of astrology hidden away in temples? Did spiritual astrologers have access to astral knowledge that has been lost?

Today in India there’s no doubt that individuals have access to knowledge the rest of us don’t. I can’t recall the name of the Indian man who can draw precise astrological charts and give an exact birth time for anyone he is asked about. He gave the birth time for Princess Diana.

AJ wrote:
Sometimes the ancient classics are more telling for what they leave out than what they tell you. With few exceptions, they are more like ancient "Cliff Notes" in my opinion.
Right! It seems we’re supposed to study and work to obtain each bit of astrological knowledge. And how much of it is simply not relevant today or too esoteric for us to understand?

James wrote:
I think, but can't know for sure) that koparkar was influenced by the newer generation of astrologers looking into astrology from a more contemporary angle.
I think you're right, James. Sometimes I think Koparkar's books are rather like a stream of consciousness. An idea came into his mind and he ran with it. Somehow I'm not psychically comfortable trying to read his books. In recent years his books have been re-published (but without an update year), so he may still be alive. I did an Internet search and came up with: http://mohanstars.com/

The site lists astrological services and his books.

it is just my impression... i read his book on the lunar nodes very recently.. that was my impression from an overview of the book.. i didn't even know i had the book, until very recently.. i must have picked it up 2nd hand somewhere quite cheap and thought i would look at it at some point..used 4$ - and printed in 1977 about the time i got into astrology!

James, you were wondering a while back about different planets in the lunar mansions. I just took Mohan Koparkar's Moon Mansions out of my bookcase, and he delineates all the planets in the mansions. You might enjoy checking out the book. The new edition is only about USD $7.00. 128 pages. I read the Sun and Moon in my mansion, and in general his comments were fairly accurate. I can't really judge the book as a whole. No references or bibliography. First edition was 1974, no date on latest printing. Beautiful old mansion illustration on the cover.

Recently I've been re-reading parts of Krishnamurti's books, which have a lot of material on the mansions, types of professions and so forth, and I'm seeing some of this in Koparkar's book. Krishnamurti may have been a main reference for his book. Krishnamurti's books were first published in the 1960s, I think.