Mixed Reception?

Would be very interested in practitioners' views on the following.

Currently considering a (horary) chart where Mars and Venus (significators) are in Aries and Leo respectively; Venus applying to trine Mars.

Exalted dispositor of Mars is the Sun. Ordinary dispositor of Venus is of course the Sun. So it seems to me there is a type of "mixed" reception going on here (being neither standard mutual reception, nor exalted mutual reception).

Does traditional astrology recognise this type of reception as valid? If not, is there a case to be made for considering this type of reception as valid? Is this "reception" at all, and if not, does it provide some other form of connection between the two planets??

This doesn't show any interest between the two planets, but it does show a common interest.

Which house is the Sun ruling?

Or, if it's a relationship question, it shows high levels of sexual interest (both partners ruled by the Sun, which is "man-stuff" as Frawley puts it in The Horary Textbook!)

Perhaps I ought to have posted this in the horary forum.

Kerenhappuch: thanks so much for that.

I understand you to mean: this is not reception, because the planets do not actually "receive" each other in any way; however there is a common interest between the two planets i.e. the Sun.

It would appear that the Sun must be some kind of focal point here. The Sun rules the 11th House of friendship.

The question was: "will X come back into my life?" The querent and X are friends but communication has been "down" for a while. They have not had a romantic or sexual relationship, but I suspect that issue may be at the back of the querent's mind.

In any event, I would have given a positive answer to the question, simply on the basis of the applying trine between the two significators, but I was wondering if the Sun "focal point" strengthened the connection between them.

It appears then, that the Sun does indeed strengthen the relationship - through common disposition - and especially given that the Sun also rules the 11th House of friends.

kerenhappuch wrote:Which house is the Sun ruling?

Or, if it's a relationship question, it shows high levels of sexual interest (both partners ruled by the Sun, which is "man-stuff" as Frawley puts it in The Horary Textbook!)
Why is that? I haven't read Frawley on this. I don't immediately think of the Sun as sexual; whereas Venus and Mars I would see as inherently "sexual" planets.

Why is that? I haven't read Frawley on this. I don't immediately think of the Sun as sexual;
In relationship horaries only, John teaches that the man gets the Sun in addition to his significator usually lord one or seven (unless the Sun is busy doing something else). The man's main significator is him as personality. The Sun is him as "macho man." This is the part of the man that wishes to "spread the seed" so to speak or make his presence known in "manly" ways.

So if the Sun is in the woman's sign, but his main significator is in the sign of her detriment, the man is interested in her sexually, and that's it.

The woman gets Venus for the same reason, except, of course, it represents her as feminine creature. John gets this from Lilly (see CA page 302). Lilly also says something about the assigning planet the Moon separates from and next joins, but he doesn't seem to do that in practice.

Tom