Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

PhD Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanit3333

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: PhD Question Reply with quote

Hello - The forum has been fairly uneventful lately and I thought I would share a matter that seemed rooted and radical that I will post an answer to (if one ever comes of it - and if nothing does, then that is still a legitimate answer).

Will anything come of my PhD application?

Background: pretty much as soon as Jupiter entered Sagittarius and trined my Jupiter in Leo (which rules my 9th and 10th) I was invited (short notice) to apply to a microbiology PhD program, but it is very late to apply (the applications are due in less than a month). I would have to move across country and quit my very well paid job in the medical field (also in microbiology). I am completing my master's and have a 4.0 GPA and am in the honor's society, etc. and have a lot of experience, but I am also an older student. There are as many reasons for me to want to go as there are for me to not want to go, but the primary reasons not are financial and personal. I would be paid with a stipend and have free tuition, but, again, my current salary is very good whereas the stipend would put me back into basically a poverty situation. I would also be moving to an unfamiliar area and it has some crime issues (which are not new to me but something I recently relocated away from). The primary reasons to go are obvious - I love microbiology and to be allowed to spend all of my time conducting research and learning new things is very exciting to me. It could also potentially open up new career avenues that I would not be able to pursue without a PhD, although it is a very competitive field.

Analysis: I see many connections to my own natal chart, which I found significant and interesting (it makes the chart more believable and rooted to me). I have natal Moon in a fire sign square Saturn in an earth sign, natal Mars dignified square Jupiter dignified and my MC is placed on the Ascendant (and Jupiter rules my natal 9th and 10th). Overall, I think the chart suggests that right now is not the best time to apply, especially regarding submitting my application and I may find difficulty with it (I am guessing references will be hard, as this is a busy time of year). I think it also shows I have too much internal conflict on making such a huge career/financial change.

I had not realized that Mercury already went retro before thinking of applying, but it makes sense, since pretty much any time I apply for something significant, it seems to be rearing its ugly head! Its placement in the 9th ruling the 3rd I think suggests it is my application. My guess is that this is a red flag that my application will be problematic and I may expect delay, such as references falling through, or that I may end up opting to wait until next year to apply because it is too short of notice. I am sending out emails today to see if anyone is willing to write recommendations on a short notice.

There are many pros and cons here regarding the venture itself, though, but I am a rational person and tend to focus on the negative. Jupiter is strong but square Mars, which rules the 8th in the 12th. Jupiter strong to me suggests that I am capable of pursuing the PhD and becoming a more legitimate scientist, but there is applying combustion, which I think describes my fear of change. The Mars-Jupiter square could be describing exciting new things in my field (since I do personally attribute the 8th to infectious diseases and the 12th can show intense study, especially with Mars in my opinion), but I know well that Mars square Jupiter has as many good qualities as bad. There is exuberance of energy for new things, but this leads to burnout and often regret once the excitement dies down. One classical interpretation is also misuse of resources or throwing away a good opportunity (my current job or the PhD?! hahaa), and Mars in the 12th could suggests a self-undoing on my part, even if it is dignified. Moon is translating the light of Jupiter to Saturn via square in the 1st house. My first thought is that I know my natal Moon-Saturn square worries a lot about self sufficiency and that this could show dealing with fears of poverty/financial planning, lack of employment when complete, etc. Moon-Saturn deals a lot with restrictions on new experiences for many reasons, such as one's own fear due to previous negative experiences influencing the current situation, but also true roadblocks in the way (such as even just being denied admittance). It could also point to the fact that the PhD may not end up being as rewarding as I would like, personally and career-wise. It is a fairly objective placement but I do think those of us with this aspect emphasized can also be overly negative or pessimistic about opportunities.
Miss Watson

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tanit,

I'll try to say some of my impressions, considering my difficulty in expressing myself in English.

Whenever I see Uranus ascending it suggests that you are in an unpredictable period and may change your mind, and you must think carefully about the decision because you are mentally agitated.
Since Uranus is retrograde, (and is your co-ruler), you may discard the idea you have in your mind.
Your financial concern I would describe by the influence of Venus (2nd House) in opposition to Uranus. Is that the reason that may make you discard the idea? My thoughts...

Since Mars is your co-ruler (intercepted), it's in a square to Jupiter, I don't think that would be a good idea, and also Mercury is weak (is is its detriment).

The Moon in elevation suggests changing situations - or a short distance travel.
If you take a look at the Moon, is in square to Saturn (Applying). I also think that the PhD may not as rewarding as you would like for your career.
Neutral
Tanit3333

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you are saying. I think the condition of Mercury works similarly to how you described Uranus. I can see Uranus relating to finances though because it is also square my natal Jupiter in the 2nd in transit, which is a warning about impulsive decisions in career leading to financial problems. If I apply next year instead then that would give me more time to prepare though and that transit would be over.

I think this is a situation that would involve regret either way, unfortunately.
zoidsoft

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my non-astrological perspective (though I've studied astrology since 1975). Many people in the business world have recognized the higher education system for the scam that it is. The really smart (especially in the field of IT) are college dropouts. If your degree is really worth something, it's not because some institution says so, but because the knowledge in your head produces practical results. So unless you're contributing in the world, that piece of paper is useless.

We no longer live in a world where corporations care about your education as much as what you've done with it. Most of you will be better off selling your skills in your own business locally. The Amish in our area have no greater an education than 8th grade, yet, by the time they are 30, they own an average of 100 acres of land and have a family of 3 with no debt and a small herd and several crops with a net worth over 100K. Compare that to being a PhD graduate with over 100K worth in debt with nothing else to show for it.
Paul
Administrator

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanit

I think there's difficulty and regret here either way, but I would err on the side of not accepting this PhD program right now. Mercy is in detriment and retrograding in the 9th, and Uranus, suggestive of reversals and sudden upsets, is angular, and Saturn is angular in the 10th.

I personally wouldn't see much positive here, especially with the Moon applying by square to Saturn as well.

I looked at the chart and really felt it was trying to tell you as clearly as it could that this would be rash decision which would only involve delays, problems in the small print, and getting caught up in red tape and setbacks.

Maybe leave this to one side for the moment and explain that you're not yet in a position to drop everything etc. and give yourself time to save up some money and make a proper plan.

https://heavenlysphere.com/
Tanit3333

Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoidsoft - thanks for the input. I agree that in most cases a PhD is pretty meaningless and garners debt, but in the sciences you get free tuition, a monthly stipend and health insurance until you graduate. In microbiology, a PhD is a minimum sort of requirement for a truly interesting occupation, and I have another 30 years before retirement, which seems like a long time in a position that I am already beginning to feel bored in. A PhD in the sciences isn't so much about rote learning, since you only do one year of courses and I have already completed them all with my master's. You are learning how to be a good scientist through independent research that is funded, being published, and also constantly critiqued (oral exams that grill you intellectually), and learning through teaching others (you teach courses to undergrads). This isn't something you can teach yourself, unfortunately, and it is now or never for me.

Paul - thanks, I completely agree that the chart is warning that this is a bad time and I am kind of irked that I was not given more notice for the invitation to apply. It sounds like my chances of being accepted are very good, though, which I think the chart also suggests, but it ultimately boils down to my decision and I think that is what the Moon is saying in the 1st. I think another year would not hurt and I could better prepare for the financial restraints.

I do think the chart is a nice example of a rooted question with sound advice, which we all picked up on.
Part of Fortune

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tanit,

I didn't get to study your post yesterday and when I came back today the chart has disappeared; crying could you please post it again? Thanks!
Part of Fortune

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's back again! Thank you very much. Very Happy
Tanit3333

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird, but not surprising considering Mercury is retro. Maybe it is the website I used. In case it gets lost again, I will post the data:

November 18, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Dublin, CA.

Last edited by Tanit3333 on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donna Chang

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any mention of the querent being in the 8th house. I realize jupiter is strong but the 8th house? Has that ever worked out well in horary?
Part of Fortune

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donna,

I do often see a querent placed in 8th house.
It could be showing a querent's state of mind such as anxiety, etc.
Tanit3333

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I attribute the 8th with the subject matter, but it likely has more than one reason, such as my own fear, or also loss of finances. In my interpretation, I mentioned internal conflict and was talking about the 8th (although Jupiter is pretty close to the 9th). To put it bluntly, I would be making about 15% of my current salary on a PhD stipend. I didn't email professors for letters of recommendation because I am finding them too busy to respond to other more simple queries (filling out my tuition reimbursement forms for this semester), so I am thinking next year would be more likely, if at all.

I don't think anyone would read any of the interpretations as pro applying (or at least easy), but I understand what you mean, Donna. My own interpretation was not positive, but as I said, I think in either case there will be regret.
Serene

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tanit. Some of the very experienced and knowledgable members have already commented. But I 'd like to take a go at it too for learning purposes! Hope you all pardon any technical errors in my reading Lala Happy

Chiron ascending may pour to some pain that this situation will bring. Uranus in the first house in critical degrees caught my eye and may perhaps be indicative of sudden changes associated with this matter.

Significators of the 1st house (querent), 9th (phd), 10th (career after phd) are the same suggesting some for of synergy and oneness - how much the querent is linked with these . Jupiter is strong in Sag but weak by combustion. May be that points out to worries in your mind. The eighth house placement again is stressing the anxiety or concern. Moon in the first house is probably you focussing on yourself and how the change may negatively impacts you. Your current financial situation is shown by Venus in Libra and the money earned from the research job would be Saturn strong in Capricorn should you go forward with it. Mercury is retrograde and in detriment. To me this Mercury shows your new place (ruler of both the 4th and 7th) and you already know that it has some criminal issues.

To sum up to me the chart didn't look negative
Tanit3333

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serene- that is interesting you mentioned Mercury ruling the 7th and 4th in the 9th. You could be right about criminal activity, especially with it aspecting Neptune in the 12th. The area has some very bad stats regarding burglaries and also sexual assault. It is also in hurricane area (Neptune?), but inland.

Although my finances are good now (Venus in Libra) there is always an unsettling feeling that it is a temporary circumstance and that matters might change in my career. The fact that Venus is in a moveable sign and applying to oppose Uranus makes me wonder this also. A Saturnian influence can be more grounded as an alternative. I think it is smart to look at the 10th as gain from the degree, since it is 2nd from the 9th. So, what would I gain - the influence of the ruler is Jupiter dignified and in sect but in the 8th (combustion is questionable with a sign barrier) and Saturn is dignified in sect in the 10th. I actually think of Saturn in sect and dignified as the ultimate level of knowledge in the sciences, as I often say in other posts. It suggests mastery of a complex subject matter that requires years of experience.
Serene

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think of Saturn in sect and dignified as the ultimate level of knowledge in the sciences, as I often say in other posts. It suggests mastery of a complex subject matter that requires years of experience

Interesting tidbit Tanit thnx for sharing!!Wish you very best in your study and career :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Horary & Electional Astrology All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: