skyscript.co.uk
   

home articles forum events
glossary horary quiz consultations links more

Read this before using the forum
Register
FAQ
Search
View memberlist
View/edit your user profile
Log in to check your private messages
Log in
Recent additions:
Can assassinations be prevented? by Elsbeth Ebertin
translated by Jenn Zahrt PhD
A Guide to Interpreting The Great American Eclipse
by Wade Caves
The Astrology of Depression
by Judith Hill
Understanding the mean conjunctions of the Jupiter-Saturn cycle
by Benjamin Dykes
Understanding the zodiac: and why there really ARE 12 signs of the zodiac, not 13
by Deborah Houlding

Skyscript Astrology Forum

Equal house system

 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Donald



Joined: 07 Sep 2018
Posts: 6

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Equal house system Reply with quote

Is the equal house system still used by the faculty of astrologial studies? Is it still popular in the UK?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
james_m



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 3540
Location: vancouver island

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi donald,

i don't know the answer to your question.. however as someone who has been using equal house system for a very long time, i do find a great overlap that started to happen with the re-introduction of whole sign houses in the 90's and into today... although these 2 ideas are not identical, there are a lot of similarities, to the point that i generally associate the 2 house systems as very similar, although not identical... my understanding of the differences might be purely subjective...

maybe someone can offer some other insight into this, as it continues to fascinate me..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TT



Joined: 01 Jun 2018
Posts: 117

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_m wrote:
hi donald,

i don't know the answer to your question.. however as someone who has been using equal house system for a very long time, i do find a great overlap that started to happen with the re-introduction of whole sign houses in the 90's and into today... although these 2 ideas are not identical, there are a lot of similarities, to the point that i generally associate the 2 house systems as very similar, although not identical... my understanding of the differences might be purely subjective...

maybe someone can offer some other insight into this, as it continues to fascinate me..


It dosn`t make sense to me that a planet in 7th sign but cadent can be considered angular. Arnold Schwarzenegger had the AC ruler is that position,and left Austria,a relief to him .Moon is in capricorn but below the horizon,cadent,indicating exile.So I might vouch for equal or quadrante houses
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
petosiris



Joined: 08 Oct 2017
Posts: 141

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:
james_m wrote:
hi donald,

i don't know the answer to your question.. however as someone who has been using equal house system for a very long time, i do find a great overlap that started to happen with the re-introduction of whole sign houses in the 90's and into today... although these 2 ideas are not identical, there are a lot of similarities, to the point that i generally associate the 2 house systems as very similar, although not identical... my understanding of the differences might be purely subjective...

maybe someone can offer some other insight into this, as it continues to fascinate me..


It dosn`t make sense to me that a planet in 7th sign but cadent can be considered angular. Arnold Schwarzenegger had the AC ruler is that position,and left Austria,a relief to him .Moon is in capricorn but below the horizon,cadent,indicating exile.So I might vouch for equal or quadrante houses


You'd rather have the Lightbringer inoperative for the nativity of a governor?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Therese Hamilton



Joined: 22 Feb 2011
Posts: 1484
Location: California, USA

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald wrote:
Quote:
Is the equal house system still used by the faculty of astrological studies? Is it still popular in the UK?

No one from the UK has replied to this question yet, but a variation of equal houses, the now termed "Raman-Vehlow" system has had some extensive discussion here on Skyscript. This system places the ascendant degree in the center of each 30 degree house around the chart. This system (termed "Vehlow") is one of the choices in India's True Astrology software which I have.

(In the 1960s I learned the equal house system from Jeff Mayo at the Faculty of Astrological Studied, but have found the so-called Raman-Vehlow system much more helpful in practice.)
_________________
http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/LostZodiac.htm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
james_m



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 3540
Location: vancouver island

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT - it would be helpful to share the data on arnold schwarzenegger so i could see the chart!

okay.. i see the chart now....

as i have said many times - astrology is an art.. subjectivity enters into it... do as you wish interpreting charts, but i would read arnolds moon as having some influence as a 7th house type planet.. it is true it is below the descendant and cadent as far as the degrees go, but i suppose i am giving more weight to the sign on the descendant and as a consequence thinking the moon functions in a way that is connected to this 7th house descendant...

again - it is subjective... it is up to each person to figure out how they want to navigate these specific challenges... essentially as i see it, one is weighing the difference between sign importance verses planet position in relation to the angles... if you put more emphasis on one or the other, you will get a different result...

and fwiw further to thereses comment - the system i use for equal house is much like the system therese describes... basically the cusp of the house is like the crest of a wave.. the wave falls off on both sides from that crest point... another way to think of it is vibrations.... the strongest vibe is at the degree of the ascendant...the vibration lessens as you move away from that degree..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael Sternbach



Joined: 01 Mar 2014
Posts: 520
Location: Switzerland

Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Equal house system Reply with quote

Donald wrote:
Is the equal house system still used by the faculty of astrologial studies? Is it still popular in the UK?


I don't think it has ever been very popular in Astrology's more recent history. Even among traditionalists, Whole Sign seemed to be all the rave for quite some time - with Equal commonly depreciated as some kind of pseudo-classical digression by some misguided Victorian era practitioners.

However, in the mind of as renowned a historian as Wilhelm Gundel, there was no doubt that Equal (starting from ASC!) was the original system taught by that elusive lost text book ascribed to Hermes which left its traces in so many of the extant texts. Consequently, it became known also as the 'Hermetic house system' and was recommended as such by quite a few German astrologers.

I concur that Equal corresponds with the structure of the zodiac like no other house system. And as the principle of correspondence is one of the very foundations of the occult sciences, Equal deserves a lot more recognition in modern Astrology, IMO.

I have been working with it almost exclusively for over 20 years now. Out of curiosity, I may compare such a chart with its equivalent cast in another house system (e.g. Placidus) on some occasions, however, I generally prefer to look at a chart as some kind of symmetric mandala representing the native's self (or whatever its subject may be).
_________________
_________________

Visit my blog:
https://michaelsternbach.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TT



Joined: 01 Jun 2018
Posts: 117

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_m wrote:
TT - it would be helpful to share the data on arnold schwarzenegger so i could see the chart!

okay.. i see the chart now....

as i have said many times - astrology is an art.. subjectivity enters into it... do as you wish interpreting charts, but i would read arnolds moon as having some influence as a 7th house type planet.. it is true it is below the descendant and cadent as far as the degrees go, but i suppose i am giving more weight to the sign on the descendant and as a consequence thinking the moon functions in a way that is connected to this 7th house descendant...

again - it is subjective... it is up to each person to figure out how they want to navigate these specific challenges... essentially as i see it, one is weighing the difference between sign importance verses planet position in relation to the angles... if you put more emphasis on one or the other, you will get a different result...

and fwiw further to thereses comment - the system i use for equal house is much like the system therese describes... basically the cusp of the house is like the crest of a wave.. the wave falls off on both sides from that crest point... another way to think of it is vibrations.... the strongest vibe is at the degree of the ascendant...the vibration lessens as you move away from that degree..


Very subjective comment. Can`t even begin to understand it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TT



Joined: 01 Jun 2018
Posts: 117

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting.My cousin has Scorpio rising and Mars in Leo in 9th by quadrant.He wanted to be a priest.Instead he became manager in Banks and other institutions. But he is quite a moralist.






https://studentofastrology.com/2018/09/using-two-house-systems/?fbclid=IwAR1etmmpDaikScqYvUplFYlpdBv6spp_dp3DmvXNOdGPJzpqWmu9mZwkDzY#comment-6670
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
james_m



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 3540
Location: vancouver island

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:


Very subjective comment. Can`t even begin to understand it


astrology is more art then science... what part of that can you understand??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
james_m



Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 3540
Location: vancouver island

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT wrote:
This is very interesting.My cousin has Scorpio rising and Mars in Leo in 9th by quadrant.He wanted to be a priest.Instead he became manager in Banks and other institutions. But he is quite a moralist.

https://studentofastrology.com/2018/09/using-two-house-systems/?fbclid=IwAR1etmmpDaikScqYvUplFYlpdBv6spp_dp3DmvXNOdGPJzpqWmu9mZwkDzY#comment-6670


TT - you don't say you are quoting someone else in your comment here... the comment doesn't belong to you, but to someone commenting on the thread you quote... is this your regular style of communication?? was the comment i quoted you on above in my post at 548pm - your comment, or someone elses??

fwiw - the article you share is quite good..did you understand any of it??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TT



Joined: 01 Jun 2018
Posts: 117

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_m wrote:
TT wrote:
This is very interesting.My cousin has Scorpio rising and Mars in Leo in 9th by quadrant.He wanted to be a priest.Instead he became manager in Banks and other institutions. But he is quite a moralist.

https://studentofastrology.com/2018/09/using-two-house-systems/?fbclid=IwAR1etmmpDaikScqYvUplFYlpdBv6spp_dp3DmvXNOdGPJzpqWmu9mZwkDzY#comment-6670


TT - you don't say you are quoting someone else in your comment here... the comment doesn't belong to you, but to someone commenting on the thread you quote... is this your regular style of communication?? was the comment i quoted you on above in my post at 548pm - your comment, or someone elses??

fwiw - the article you share is quite good..did you understand any of it??


Yes it does,I`m pp. I don`t like your patronizing. You haven`t shown much knowledge in the fórum,anyway. My last comment for you.Waste no time responding
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TT



Joined: 01 Jun 2018
Posts: 117

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james_m wrote:
TT wrote:


Very subjective comment. Can`t even begin to understand it


astrology is more art then science... what part of that can you understand??


That claim has long been debunked.No excuses

www.astrology-and-science.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tanit3333



Joined: 12 Jul 2017
Posts: 901

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am locking this thread.

TT - when you signed up for membership with this forum you agreed to treat other members with respect. I am giving you a warning but if you keep disrespecting members, I will notify Deb and she may remove you from the forum. You are creating a hostile environment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Traditional (& Ancient) Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
. Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

       
Contact Deborah Houlding  | terms and conditions  
All rights on all text and images reserved. Reproduction by any means is not permitted without the express
agreement of Deborah Houlding or in the case of articles by guest astrologers, the copyright owner indictated