Which Dog Food is Better?

I'm switching my (our) puppy over to a new dog food and he isn't totally "settled" with it right now. I would like to know which dog food is better (A or B).

For my preference (A), I took the 6th house (dog) and his food (2nd from the 6th) or radical 7th. For dog food B, it comes in a yellow bag so I would like to use the sun for it.

The ruler of the 6th house is Leo so the dog's significator and the dog's food are both the Sun. Is that ok?

Proceeding along this line of interpretation, the ruler of Food A is Venus in Libra. Venus in Libra is very strong, but in the Sun's Fall (if I'm writing that correctly). So choice A really doesn't like the dog and it shows (for those who have switched a dog to another food you know what I mean).

The dog being the Sun in Leo is also in a strong position and is ambivalent to food A. Food B, also being the sun, really likes the dog in Leo and vice-versa. Symbolically this works as both the dog and the dog food are in the house of the dog now.

The sun is on the cusp of Virgo (8 minutes away). When it crosses into Virgo, Both the Sun and Venus (in Libra) will be in each other's Fall.

FWIW, the sun is also conjunct the Part of Fortune.

I'm taking this to mean - dump choice A or things are going to get messy and that choice B will be much more compatible with the dog.

Does this make sense? Did I take too many liberties using the Sun for both the dog and the dog food?

Thank you.

Can You Post A Chart?

Hi Nightsky:

It is very difficult to assess your inquiry without a chart or chart data. Can you post one or both of those things?

I would be inclined to read a chart like this as a "stay or go" question. The first house represents your current preference for feeding your dog; the seventh house represents the change you wish to make.

L1 stronger than L7=stick with what you're doing; L7 stronger than L1 = change the food.

Moon applying to functional benefics = change will be beneficial; Moon applying to functional malefics = change will be bad.

Mixed testimonies would indicate that it doesn't matter one way or the other; there are pluses and minuses with both choices.

Other people may have different ideas about this type of question. Stay-or-go is just my first thought after reading your post.

A final thought: is a horary the best way to decide what to feed your pet? What does your veterinarian say about the dog's nutritional needs? You could most certainly find a suitable food without asking the heavens, IMHO.

Namaste--
LP
Allow yourself to be molded by your own talents.

My pronouns are she, her, hers

Re: Which Dog Food is Better?

Welcome to Skyscript NightSky!

Could you please give us the data of your chart such as: date, time, city and country so we could erect a chart of our own (if you need privacy send me a PM). Thanks.

NightSky wrote:I'm switching my (our) puppy over to a new dog food and he isn't totally "settled" with it right now. I would like to know which dog food is better (A or B).
Also could you give us more details such as why you are switching your puppy's food? Is he switching from puppy food to adult food? Is the puppy showing some physical problems? Is he a finicky eater?

Our dog (Sun, Mars conjunct Ascendant in Virgo) had a light skin allergy since he was a baby and it lasted for many years. We tried so many different foods (including holistic organic raw foods); some were better than others but he was always scratching here, there, everywhere (by the way, it wasn't caused by fleas -- I made sure it wasn't). I tried so many different shampoos, body lotions, etc. Finally his seventh vet correctly analyzed that he had food allergies and that was that! (so I do know exactly what you mean by switching dog foods).

This is an interesting question and I agree with Leo-Poet than in comparing two situations you look at L1 (and any planets in that house) as the current route and L7 as the alternative route. In this case, L1 is not the thing undergoing the issue, so I would look at L6 versus L12. L6 is the condition of the pet and L12 is their alternative condition (7th from their house).

I actually do think in changing a dog food that veterinarians are not much better than divination! :lol: It is hard to get a straight answer from them sometimes. I have done this with my own dog and they recommended a switch in dog food that caused all sorts of problems and expensive hospital visits due to his sensitive GI problems and I switched him back and he has been better.

I understand Tanit's point, although I would not turn the chart for this question. My practice is to stick to the radical chart as much as possible because I believe that will generally yield the clearest answer. L1-querent-puppy caregiver is the one who is making the decision about the change, so I think it is appropriate to treat this horary as an L1-L7 question. In the OP's description of the matter, she was very specific in stating that "Food A" is HER preference for the dog, and that she is the one switching the dog over to a new food. So, the way I read the question, L1 is the party contemplating the change. Even the title of the thread, "Which dog food is best," suggests human agency; the caregiver is contemplating what will be best for the animal. The question (as far I know) was not something like "What food does my pet dog want to eat?"

I might look L6 as a secondary consideration if I had the chart in front of me, but I personally would not use it as a primary sig.

Since we don't have a chart posted, with the attendant text of the original question, it's still hard to say.

Namaste--
LP
Allow yourself to be molded by your own talents.

My pronouns are she, her, hers

Hi All,

This question interests me as well because our dog is getting old (he is almost 13 now) and switching to senior food is starting to hover in my mind. It will be a bit difficult for us to find the right food for our dog because of his various food allergies.

I am open to all methods but as Leo-Poet mentioned “It is very difficult to assess your inquiry without a chart???. I’d also like to know more detail about your puppy -- since you are using rulerships and the dog is represented by Leo the Sun.

In the meantime, I started to look into the answers on how to do multiple choices (including A or B) and here are some methods I found out so far:

Bonatti’s Treatise 6 (Benjamin Dykes –pages 552, 553) gives Triplicity for multiple choices. Lord 1 and Lord 7 for A or B, also the Moon’s aspects, dignity and reception. Here’s detail on Triplicity: https://westernastrology.net/2018/03/10 ... questions/

In Lehman’s The Martial Art of Horary Astrology (Chapter 13) she uses Triplicity and Rulership (also dignity, etc.). I enjoyed reading various interesting charts in this chapter. In one of the charts the querent was asking which job (two choices, here Lehman used Triplicity method) and both significators were in the same house but one was conjunct South Node. There was a confusion on the part of the querent regarding which job was offered first and based on that the result came as . . . well I don’t want to give it away if anybody is planning to read her book.

In Frawley’s The Horary Textbook on “Hiring Staff??? (p223, 224) he shows querent’s house vs quesited’s house instead of Lord 1 vs Lord 7. On A,B,C, choices he suggests querent’s house (here, 6th house) for the favorite and using rulerships for the others (needless to say dignity, etc. counts here). I believe OP’s method was based on Frawley’s suggestion.

By the way, I’m wondering . . . is there something wrong with the skipping house method (I think that’s what it’s called) applied to multiple choice questions? Perhaps better to stay in the Radical? So far, I don’t see famous astrologers adapting these methods such as:

The dog is 6th house. His food is 7th house (2nd from 6th -- choice A). So by skipping to 9th house (sibling of 7th) it would be choice B and so on.

Or choice A (food) for 7th house (2nd from 6th) and choice B for 8th (2nd from 7th). Here, applying the same method as house hunting; 4th (current) and 7th (4th from 4th) for prospective next house.

One problem I could see in the sibling method above is if the choice is changing from puppy to adult food then choice A (puppy food) might not able to apply to choice B (adult food) because of a different content.