election to quit smoking

Hello,

I have recently read the book about electional astrology by Vivian Robson on this website and liked the topic. I have been smoking for two decades and want to elect a good time to quit smoking.

I pondered about how to do it a bit and think that "fortifying the 4-th house with additional fine-tuning with the moon and several other considerations about my natal angles and planets" is supposed to wok as the fourth house has to do with our habits.

Yet at this point I fail to be sure if "fortifying the fouth house" is the correct choice because I fear that fortifying it may undesirably cause fortifying my smoking habit instead.

So should I fortify or debilitate the fouth house?

If I have to debilitate the fourth house, should the moon also be debilitated or fortified?

I can not go one step forward unless I decide whether or not I need to fortify the fourth house but my logic tellm me that I actually have to debilitate the fourth house and fortify the moon for the intended result.

I will truly appreciate your comments.

Sigma4

Why not look to the 12th? The 12th is the house of "self-undoing," and harmful habits fit this description nicely. Look to a time when the ruler of the ASC is getting free of the influence of the ruler of the 12th.

John Frawley wrote of such an election in the Astrologer's Aprentice No. 18. The time elected was when Venus had just left Virgo (fall) and entered Libra (rulership). Venus is also in triplicity in Virgo (client liked to smoke) despite the fact it was bad for her (Venus in Fall in Virgo). So the time selected was when Venus had just left Virgo, and entered Libra with Libra on the ASC.

Good luck.

Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom,

Let's check if I understood your comment.

My natal 12th house is pisces so ruled by jupiter, which is in aries. Aries is the intercepted sign.I am a taurus ascendant with a venus conjunct by one degree orb in the first house. My natal jupiter is making a mutual reception with mars, which is just one degree behind my twelfth (All w.r.t Placidus system btw!)

Well, if I exactly imitate the situation in Frawley's case, I need to place the transiting jupiter in 15-22 degrees of taurus where it is in its terms, which is the only possibility of some dignity for jupiter in taurus. One more good thing about it is that jupiter will be conjunct my natal venus by one degree orb if I place it on the 15th.

Bad thing about it is that I have to wait some six years (10th of April 2012 exactly) so that the required position occurs!

So thanks for allowing me extra 6 more years for smoking :lala (just joking)

Any other insight?

Oops! I realize that I made a big mistake in the previous post.

You said :
Look to a time when the ruler of the ASC is getting free of the influence of the ruler of the 12th.
I guess you actually mean "the ruler of the asc is getting free of the influence of the sign which is on the cusp of the 12th house" based on what followed in your post. (Am I correct?)

I see that the client's natal venus and twelfth was in virgo where venus is in fall.

My ASC ruler is also venus (taurus) but it is conjunct my asc and it is the lord of the geniture (27 points with respect to W.Lilly's system).So it is the most powerful and dignified planet.It is already free of the influence of the natal twelfth.

How should I approach the problem?

This is a so important election! Great topic. I know so many people who would need a good moment for quitting smoking...

What is the natural ruler of smoking? Isn't it Mercury?
Mercury rules the lungs and the air triplicity (by night).
Or maybe Saturn? the day ruler of the air triplicity?

As for the houses, I've noted the 12th house as self-undoing. How about the 2nd house for the habits?

We would want the natural/accidental ruler of smoking to be peregrine and disposed by the Ascendant ruler. Having them separating from any aspect would be also a suggestion.

The Ascendant ruler should be dignified by sign and house in order to strenghten the person.

A fixed sign on the Ascendant for long-lasting results. (to avoid a mutable sign rising)

The Moon should be waning...

What do you say? Comments, suggestions? I would really want to learn this.

What would apply for the moment one quitted smoking ?

The moment when the person decides "I will never smoke again!" or the moment when the last cigarette is smoked?

In the last case, the astrologer should advise the client "smoke the last cigarette of your life on this date, at this time, then throw them away for good"... ?!?

Here?s a topic that is dear to my heart and lungs. I?ve read that Mars is the traditional ruler of tobacco. To me smoking is a way of avoiding outward action through it?s pleasant, mildly euphoric effect. Smoking brings the heat and flame into the body rather than directing it out into the world?inflammation. But Mars wants to lead the way outward. How about choosing a time when Mars gets to do what he?s best at?

Siraxi mentioned quitting when the Moon is waning. I?ve often considered this, but I think the waxing Moon could also work. If one decides to start a new way of being as a nonsmoker then after the New Moon sounds appropriate. Not right away, though. After the Moon separates enough from the Sun to be seen is best, so I?ve read.

Hi Sigma,

I'm not very knowledgeable about elections, but I do know that it is always a good idea to introduce the natal chart whenever possible and practical. Frawley's example posed a similar problem to yours. The client's nativity was no help at all! So he ditched it. Yes, use the nativity whenever you can, but if you can't, waiting until 2012 or whenever is not a practical solution.

What is needed is some fixity in the chart. If you want to wait until spring (not a good idea) wait for Venus to leave Aires (detriment) and enter Taurus (rulership: fixed sign). If you'd rather quit sooner (highly recommended) fix the Moon instead! With Virgo on the 12th a weak Mercury would be nice, but if Mercury is strong the habit is strong and that only means the chart is reflecting reality.

A question asked below, how does one fix the moment when one quits smoking? I have no idea, other than have your last cigarette before it happens. Go to www.johnfrawley.com and order the Apprentice No 18. It is a short article and it may give you some helpful ideas, and the Apprentice is always a wonderful read..

Tom

11 ?

Is just a though, but maybe the 11th house is the better choice.
The 11th is always forget in our forum, but it means liberation, wish, luck, gift and the good spirit, all things you need to stop smoking.

I don?t know, make the ruler of 11th to be a benefic, in good dignity and in the MC, away from any malefic.
The ASC and the ASC ruler should be away from any fix signs.

Yuzuru

Thanks for all the valuable comments and suggestions.

But the whole situation seems more complicated to me than it was initially. So I think I should investigate the matter more deeply including maybe the Frawley's relevant Apprentice issue.

I will share my opinions with you later if I find anything helpful.
You do the same please.

Well, since we're going round the houses, I just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in :D

How about debilitating the 6th? House of daily habits (smoking), servitude (you are its servant) and illness (smoking is recognised as bad for you).

In addition I think fortifying the 1st (self) to give willpower wouldn't be bad and try to make the 12th (self-undoing) and 5th (pleasure, enjoyment) as weak as possible.

Remember, it's never going to be a perfect time but it's always worth a try.

Best of luck!

I agree - most people want to give up smoking to become released from a drug-dependency and improve their health and vitality. I?d therefore say it is a 1st house matter and the natural significators of health (Sun and Moon) should be in a good applying aspect. Like Tom says, you need a lasting commitment so place the ascendant, its ruler or the Moon in fixed signs. Make sure the ascendant ruler is strong, well placed and receiving good aspects, and the 6th and 12th house rulers (incapacity and self-undoing) are weak ? then there is no excuse for not quitting :)

Deb