Rembrandt, Mars and inner visual imagery.

I was trying to test a theory that Mars represents, among other things, closed eye visuals and the kind of detailed imagery that great visual artists paint. I started off trying to think what I have noticed Mars to show, it is self (Sun) expression, the henchman of the Sun. Creativity, music, not just rock or vocalists. Beethoven has a strongly aspected Mars.

Visuals because Mars rules the head? Psychotic episodes too, Mars rules insanity but not psychopathy which seems to be shown by certain Venus and Mercury aspects. Mars almost always seems to be implicated in suicides, especially where psychoactive drugs are involved, and victims of murder. The artist Richard Dadd had Chiron transiting to his Mars in August 1843 when he murdered his father, for which he was incarcerated in Broadmoor; he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, shared with other of his family members, and spent the rest of his life painting detailed imagery from memory and imagination. So I wonder if Mars does represent visions of other worlds, as seen in these great artists' charts?

Actually, the transits to Richard Dadd's Mars had been even stronger earlier in the year 1843, so I think Mars was more about psychosis and also the kind of detailed visuals of other worlds that he painted, rather than the murder of his father, which action might have more to do with his Mercury.

I have observed that it is not Mars that is involved in the charts of psychopaths or serial killers, that is Venus and Mercury. Richard Dadd did have potentially dangerous aspects to his Mercury, which were activated at the time of murdering his father, but he had also a powerful Mars, which had been activated for some time before this, which I think had to do with his art as well as his psychosis, and his intense visions.

I wanted to look at the chart of the great master, Rembrandt, to see if Mars was significant in his chart, as his chart would not be complicated by other events and traits as in the chart of Richard Dadd.

https://www.astro.com/astro-databank/Re ... ,_Van_Rijn

This chart has a guessed birth time, as no time of birth is known for him. I have included transits for 1660, as this was when he was made bankrupt and moved from his magnificent house to a poorer one in Amsterdam. I could also try looking at transits for the birth of his son Titus and the death of his wife Saskia, which might give indications where his Moon and chart angles are. The chart shown would give a converse Solar Arc Midheaven about 2 degrees Libra, squaring his natal Saturn, from the eighth house, indicating his troubles as a professional artist and his public standing, shown by the Midheaven, as well as his house, shown by the IC. Mars was stationary to direct on 2nd July 1606 at 25 degrees Scorpio 42 minutes.

Here is the chart of Richard Dadd. No birth time known, this time is guessed. I included the transits for August 1843 when he killed his father with a knife during a psychotic episode. I don't know if it is significant that his Mercury's antiscion, 22.5 degrees Taurus, is conjunct his Moon's North Node, and is being transited by Jupiter at the time of the murder.
Last edited by fleur on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was curious to look for patterns in one of Rembrandt's main students, the artist Ferdinand Bol. I do not know his time of birth so have guessed. Again, a strong Mars, significantly aspecting IsisTranspluto, which may itself have been an important factor in the Dutch golden age of the early seventeenth century. Significantly, his Mars aspects the Mars of his great master Rembrandt.

With 26 events I rectified Rembrandt chart to 14.21.52 LMT Asc 10Sco46'. Barbault was right IMO when he said "I believe he has Scorpio rising".
Moon and Mars rising in opposition to Uranus and square MC. Neptune in 10th house
There are some close aspects between:
Helio Mars 2Cap42'
Saturn 2Cap48'
Jupiter 1Pis40
Helio Venus 4Pis03'
Mercury 2Can31'

Isaac Starkman wrote:With 26 events I rectified Rembrandt chart to 14.21.52 LMT Asc 10Sco46'. Barbault was right IMO when he said "I believe he has Scorpio rising".
Moon and Mars rising in opposition to Uranus and square MC. Neptune in 10th house
There are some close aspects between:
Helio Mars 2Cap42'
Saturn 2Cap48'
Jupiter 1Pis40
Helio Venus 4Pis03'
Mercury 2Can31'
Thank you. Very useful.

I don't think I can enter seconds of time on Astrodienst, so did the chart for 14.22 LMT.

I need to spend hours combing through all the transits and Solar Arcs, but found a few quickly, his converse Descendant Solar Arc would be 5 degrees Aries around the age of 35 or 36, which is conjunct the antiscion of his Moon's North Node, in his fifth house. His son Titus was born in 1641 and his wife Saskia died in 1642 soon after the birth. Also his converse Midheaven Solar Arc would have been conjunct his Sun around the age of 34 in 1640, about the time his son Titus was born.

Also he first left home at the end of 1631, to live in Amsterdam, to work as a professional portraitist, living at first with an art dealer. He would have been 25.5. His converse Midheaven Solar Arc would have been square his sixth house Pluto and conjunct his ninth house Uranus' antiscion in one degree of Leo.

He married his wife Saskia in 1634, when he would have been 28, so his Solar Arc Midheaven would have been conjunct his Moon's North Node at the time, so also his Solar Arc IC also aspecting his Moon's Nodes, indicating their move to their own house.

He died on 4th October 1669, at the age of 63 years and 3 months. His natal Sun's antiscion is 7.5 degrees Gemini, conjunct Venus and square Neptune in 9 degrees Virgo. He died when his converse Ascendant was conjunct his Neptune and square his Sun's antiscion Venus conjunction. His death seems to be timed to the Ascendant's Solar Arc to his natal Sun's antiscion rather than Neptune or Venus.

Another possible death indicator is his Jupiter's antiscion at 28 degrees Libra 18 minutes getting a Solar Arc from his Midheaven around the age of 62; these seem to influence roughly one degree or one year either way.

His son Titus died in 1668, as his converse Solar Arc Midheaven squared his Moons Nodes, from the eighth house.