Thanks Deb. I thought of the candidate himself as the 7th, but wondered what house would represent his election campaign. Backstory is I wrote down some concerns I had about the way his campaign team was treating volunteers and other things they were doing which I felt weren't helping his chances at election. I shared my concerns with another volunteer who'd known him a long time and she agreed with my perceptions. She talked to him and gave him my unedited 'talking points' ... he seems to have taken it okay, but now I am wondering if it will do any good ... will things improve at all? So I'd still like to know what house would represent his election campaign? I'm thinking now it would be the 4th, the 10th from the 7th? That would signify his chances of winning the election so as good as any I'd think.

Tara wrote:So I'd still like to know what house would represent his election campaign? I'm thinking now it would be the 4th, the 10th from the 7th? That would signify his chances of winning the election so as good as any I'd think.
hi Tara,

I'm not sure in this case that you need to pin this down to a particular house, because really what we're driving at here is whether or not your efforts will be of service to the candidate. we just want to step back and picture what kind of symbolism would tell us "yes, I am in a position to be of help" regardless of what house symbolized the candidate's campaign.

in my mind what I'd look for is a strong 1st-house ruler, which would signify someone in proper positioning to assist (e.g., a cadent significator would suggest to me that you're not likely to be of much help), and a helpful connection between your significator and the candidate's (perhaps a sextile or trine aspect, or a square if the applying planet is received). your significator's aspects to the 7th cusp could be equally telling. and any connection to the Sun, 10th house or 10th house ruler could be of help, because these naturally have the signification of honors and things that uplift. I don't want to be too rigid here in telling you what to look for, just giving suggestions of what might signal help.

if it exists, I would also be very mindful of translation (e.g., Moon separating from your significator and applying to the 7th-ruler) or collection (e.g., both 1st- and 7th-rulers applying to the same planet). if a third planet is focal, note what house that planet rules to identify the form your help should take (e.g., in the translation example, if the Moon rules the 2nd, the translation argues you would be of most help by providing financial assistance).

lastly take a look at how the horary aligns with your natal chart. if the 7th or 10th cusp, their rulers, or one of the luminaries is conjunct an unafflicted benefic in your birth chart (Sun, Moon, Venus, Jupiter), then you've got another indication that what you bring to the table will be helpful.

hope this helps.
http://wadecaves.com | hello@wadecaves.com

Thanks Wade, you make lots of very good suggetions. I never did cast a chart because I wanted to determine which house/s to look at first and now my focus has changed (mercury rx no surprise there) and I just want to know if he will win.

In that case would you agree the turned 10th would be the house to tell the story, giving the 1st house to me as querent? Or would you put the candidate on the first and his chances of winning as the radical 10th?

Tara wrote:Thanks Wade, you make lots of very good suggetions. I never did cast a chart because I wanted to determine which house/s to look at first and now my focus has changed (mercury rx no surprise there) and I just want to know if he will win.
it's always good to wait until you can't wait any longer, and have exhausted all common sense alternatives. because, as you said, situations change, and perhaps you don't need to know what you thought you needed to know as badly as you thought you needed to know it. :)

personally, I would urge caution on casting what some call "third party horaries." third party horaries are those in which you are not directly involved, and the chart centers on the details of someone else's life. there's a lessened likelihood that the question is radical in these cases -- and by radical, I mean something that's at its boiling point, stirring up elements of the soul, actively disturbing your emotional and mental state, and truly in need of resolution. because in the end, horary's real purpose is to resolve problems, not to merely generate a prediction. unless you have a legitimate dilemma (as you appeared to have in the first post about whether or not you should get involved in the campaign), I would hold off on getting the cosmos involved in a divinatory capacity and just allow yourself the patience to wait and see what happens.

now, if this candidate is your husband, or son, or father, or close enough to you in your life that it impacts you directly and personally, or if you're anticipating leveraging the chart to change your *own* course of action, then I think you could proceed.

but assuming that isn't the case, you can always look at things like ingress charts, new Moon charts, etc. (astrologers always have their personal favorites) with the location set for the heart of wherever this person would be serving. city council = set chart for your city; state politics such as US congressmen = set for state capitol; national politics like presidents or prime ministers = set for national capitol. in these charts you would take a look at the condition of the 10th and its ruler (to indicate those already in power), the 4th and its ruler (to indicate the challenger), and see who comes out ahead. it's a little more complicated than that but that should get you on the right track, if you choose to pursue this with mundane astrology.
Tara wrote:In that case would you agree the turned 10th would be the house to tell the story, giving the 1st house to me as querent? Or would you put the candidate on the first and his chances of winning as the radical 10th?
originally when this question was put forward, it was about whether or not you could be of meaningful assistance to this person's campaign. in that light, I would have put you to the 1st (because you had an active role to potentially play), the candidate to the 7th, and the radical 10th house as the candidate's chance of winning. I should expect the turned 10th to have some information as well, but unless the chart directed me to it, I probably wouldn't even look at it. the reason is because the question wasn't centered on whether you would win the election (so you'd take 1st and 10th) or he would (and he'd take 7th and 4th as your opponent). it was centered on this one candidate. we only need to turn houses to distinguish between two people (as in a court case, where the 9th is the querent's legal council and the turned 9th is the opponent's legal council). so again, here we only concerned ourselves with whether or not you could help this person win, and that clear sense of focus helps us to know we don't need to turn the chart. does that make sense?

to give another example.. if my brother's daughter's cat goes missing, and I'm looking for it, I'm not going to go to the third, to the fifth from the third, then from the sixth to the fifth to the third.. that gets ridiculous. I'm just going to look 1st for me as querent, 3rd for my brother, 5th for the daughter, 6th for the cat. cleans everything up.

the more you simplify, the clearer you pick up the message, and even if you do turn, it should only ever support what's in the radical, unturned chart.
http://wadecaves.com | hello@wadecaves.com

Thanks Wade. The usual ingress route won't work because there is no incumbent. He was sent to prison for financial malfeasance!

I am very invested in the outcome, although the candidate is not my brother, father, etc. This is the most critical election of my lifetime as we are, as a country, trying to rid ourselves of an invasive species called "Republican" which has taken over our once progressive Canadian government.

If the question starts to give me "heartburn" again, I think I'll treat it like a race and use the 1st for "my" candidate and the 7th for his opponents, and the 10th for winning.

Thanks again for all your help. Much appreciated!
~ Tara

Tara wrote:
If the question starts to give me "heartburn" again, I think I'll treat it like a race and use the 1st for "my" candidate and the 7th for his opponents, and the 10th for winning.
Referring to your last comments , it seemed your question was intrinsically " Will we win this election campaign? " rather than the original one " How can I help Mr.X. improve his election campaign. "

Then, who you supported was signified by the ascendent and its lord and you might be allotted to the 2nd house ,which was his backer.