Predominator vs. Apheta: semantic differences

Hello everyone,

In Book III of Vettius Valens, Schmidt translation, Robert Hand made the following comment in the footnotes (p. 27):

"The reader should be aware that the terms 'predominator' and 'apheta' are the same thing. They differ only in the point of view that the writer has when he uses them. 'Predominator' refers to its strength and power in determining life expectancy. 'Apheta' refers to its role in directions and planetary periods."

For those who are familiar with the Greek terms or language, do you agree or disagree with Hand's definitions laid out here?

Larxene Xenohart
Interested in Hellenistic astrology? Visit my blog.

The appearance changes, but the essence remains.

The distinction is that the predominator becomes the apheta when you want to "release" it from its fixed position and allow it to move through the chart using primary directions. So it is like describing the action of what you do with the predominator once you've found it.

Thank you for your responses, Martin and Chris.

Since you've joined the conversation, Chris, I would like to ask you a question. Assuming that you have worked with the predominator before under Valens' instructions, which house system would you use for finding the predominator, whole-signs or Porphyry?

Thanks,

Larxene Xenohart
Interested in Hellenistic astrology? Visit my blog.

The appearance changes, but the essence remains.

Just about all of the Hellenistic astrologers switched to quadrant houses when trying to find the predominator for the length of life technique, I think because this is how it was done in the Petosiris text that originally outlined the technique. So, if you are following Valens' system for finding the predominator then it would probably be wise to follow that approach by employing Porphyry at that point as well. Obviously this raises some conceptual questions though about when to use whole sign houses versus quadrant houses in other areas as well, although that is kind of a separate discussion I guess.

I added the option for finding the predominator according to dynamical divisions in Delphic Oracle a while ago because of this issue (Main Options | Hellenistic | Predomination tab). I also included trigon lords in this assessment because there is the possibility that trigon lords belong to a more universal perspective of the chart than topical analysis would suggest.
Curtis Manwaring
Zoidiasoft Technologies, LLC